Active Topics

Does anybody know how to set the wireless card to ad-hoc with password from the command line? I used to use iwconfig on the desktop for this but it is not in Harmattan. I want to use my NAT enabled kernel for hotspot instead of Joikuspot as it is flaky. I predict there is some dbus method for this. Any help is appreciated.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
wpa_supplicccant might be able to do that for you. I believe I have seen it around for the N9 somewhere.

Instructions on how to create a .conf ccan be found here.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=84

Edit: Found something

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84457

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
no you cant. just because joiku nat module not investigated yet.

Does anybody know which base version of debian/ubuntu Harmattan is derived from? I could grab wireless-tools package and/or wpa_supplicant from the closest version and try to build it myself.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Grab wireless-tools from Debian 6 ARM. It's a pretty safe choice.

(Side note: it's said on the TI site that setting Master mode using ifconfig and using hostapd works for running the N9 in AP mode instead of Ad-hoc mode)

Does this easily enables android devices to connect to the internet through n9s hotspot?

Should i get debian wireless-tools for ARM from somewhere, install (with openmode kernel) and do i have a go, then?

@veeal you should fix your Android device, not n9

@Coderus: Sure, but androids cannot connect to an ad-hoc network and n9 cannot create a hotspot in ap mode. I do want to root my tablet, but i'd like to be able to connect non-rooted android devices through n9, too. Thus, i'm asking.

Posts: 230 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Suomi (Finland)
Originally Posted by jackburton View Post
Does anybody know which base version of debian/ubuntu Harmattan is derived from? I could grab wireless-tools package and/or wpa_supplicant from the closest version and try to build it myself.
That's odd. I thought harmattan has wireless-tools package. I have it (wireless-tools_30~pre7-1.3maemo+0m6+0security1+0m6_armel.deb) installed on my n9. Though I get...
Code:
 # iwconfig wlan0 mode master
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not permitted.
Setting mode to "Managed" and "Ad-hoc" works.

ou should try in full-credentials shell, not plain devel-su