Active Topics

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Indianapolis, IN
Thanks, I was screwing up step two was what the problem was.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Indianapolis, IN
OK, the last thing I have to do is flash with the zImage file, but unfortunately, the only flasher I know of for XP was the one used with the 770 that used to be on Nokia's site (and it's gone, of course). I looked on Maemo.org, but I could only find flashers for Mac and Linux (and unfortunately, I have no idea where my LiveCD for Ubuntu is). Can anyone please point me to one?

UPDATE: OK, I have some feedback after flashing the kernel and tweaking CPU/DSP frequency (echo 0 > /sys/power/op_dsp). Unfortunately, drop-outs are still there - no change in that matter.
Are we talking video or audio here? If audio please give me the url of an example file and I'll look into it; for video, it's a known problem and I don't know how to fix it

I've noticed something even stranger - when I start playback (using Canola and/or Kagu - tested both), I usually can first hear a split-second sound, then nothing (although song is still playing in the player), and after 5-8 seconds I can hear the music back again and then it plays normally without major drops. Same thing happens at the beginning of almost every single music file (and time varies, sometimes it's like 1-3 secs, sometimes is 6-8), so let's say I have album with 10 songs, and I have few-seconds drop out at the beginning of each one... It seems to me like player is buffering (?) a song at the beginning, which takes some CPU time, hence drop-out for A2DP...
Interesting, I've not tried if with Canola or Kagu; does this happen for all files, or are they again "special" ones? I can't see any reason for it to work to begin with, then drop out - the ARM-side load should be pretty low the whole time so there's no reason why it's not been able to pass the data across.

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London (UK) / Zielona Góra (PL)
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Interesting, I've not tried if with Canola or Kagu; does this happen for all files, or are they again "special" ones? I can't see any reason for it to work to begin with, then drop out - the ARM-side load should be pretty low the whole time so there's no reason why it's not been able to pass the data across.
Doesn't really matter which file I play (I talk about music files only, btw). Generally after few days of using A2DP, I can tell it gives quite strange behaviours. On day it can play without any interruption for whole journey, the other day it drops out pretty frequently (maybe that was the matter of adapter's battery getting lower?). One thing I've noticed for sure - as long as I'm in the Tube under ground, playback is OK. But once I get out to the surface (especially close to Heathrow Airport where I live), there is a huge increase in number of drop outs. How strange is that?!? Are there any interferences with WiFi networks possible (afaik WiFi and BT use similar radio frequency)? :-o

It might be that the DSP task is not being loaded for one of the cases, in this case it drops back to using the sw encoding method - Canola and Kagu are probably pretty CPU intensive, so this might have an effect. You should be able to tell by looking at the dmesg output - see if there is a warning from dsp_dld to say that the dsp task failed to load for example. Otherwise I don't have any immediate ideas, but will think about it (and do some testing when I have a spare minute or two).

Can someone please tell me how to fix the sounds skipping when I listen to music with mPlayer or canola... I've tried installing dsp sbc and it didn't help at all. Or am I installing it wrong? I installed it through Terminal since I couldn't install it through application manager (kept getting an error message). I've typed this in "sh ./install_sbcenc.sh" and it gave me an successful message. Did I install it right or? I'm new to this whole linux stuff so keep that in mind I just got my N810 3 days ago and this was the first thing I've tried installing.

EDIT: Oh and can someone tell me how to fix this problem?
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...61&postcount=2
I've tried this:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...31&postcount=3
but I still get the error message.

Thanks!

Last edited by UXSam; 2008-08-28 at 10:40.

Originally Posted by evad View Post
Doesn't really matter which file I play (I talk about music files only, btw). Generally after few days of using A2DP, I can tell it gives quite strange behaviours. On day it can play without any interruption for whole journey, the other day it drops out pretty frequently (maybe that was the matter of adapter's battery getting lower?). One thing I've noticed for sure - as long as I'm in the Tube under ground, playback is OK. But once I get out to the surface (especially close to Heathrow Airport where I live), there is a huge increase in number of drop outs. How strange is that?!? Are there any interferences with WiFi networks possible (afaik WiFi and BT use similar radio frequency)? :-o

I think I read somewhere that pedestrian crossings interfere with A2DP. Does that correlate?

Can someone please tell me how to fix the sounds skipping when I listen to music with mPlayer or canola... I've tried installing dsp sbc and it didn't help at all. Or am I installing it wrong? I installed it through Terminal since I couldn't install it through application manager (kept getting an error message). I've typed this in "sh ./install_sbcenc.sh" and it gave me an successful message.
Um. Try playing an mp3 using mplayer, make sure you install Johnx's a2dp package and enable a2dp. See what output mplayer produces, it will either spit out some info about the stream type (if the DSP is working) or it will say something along the lines of "falling back to sw method" (if the DSP fails).

Alternatively, look at the output of "dmesg" just after trying to use the DSP task, and it will say something about having loaded the task, or about not having been able to do so iirc. I don't have my headphones here so I can't check I'm afraid, and I won't be able to check till Sunday. Sorry,

Simon

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Germany
Hi,
I followed the howto and a2dp works on my n810 diablo. No Problems so far. But
with dsp-sbc enabled mplayer only plays half of my podcasts correctly. The other half is sort of distorted.
The only hint I found was this line in dmesg.
From correct sound:
frequency=2
blocks=3
subbands=1
mode=3
after playing a song that produced crap:
frequency=2
blocks=3
subbands=1
mode=0

Does anybody know if this is a hint in the right direction ? Does anybody else have this problem ?

Christoph

Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Um. Try playing an mp3 using mplayer, make sure you install Johnx's a2dp package and enable a2dp. See what output mplayer produces, it will either spit out some info about the stream type (if the DSP is working) or it will say something along the lines of "falling back to sw method" (if the DSP fails).

Alternatively, look at the output of "dmesg" just after trying to use the DSP task, and it will say something about having loaded the task, or about not having been able to do so iirc. I don't have my headphones here so I can't check I'm afraid, and I won't be able to check till Sunday. Sorry,

Simon
Hi Simon, thanks for the quick response

I do have the JohnX's A2DP package installed and it is enabled. But how do I check what output mplayer produces? And do you know why my music don't play on my speakers and only my bluetooth headset? I've tried disconnecting my bluetooth headset and turned it off completely and it still doesn't work

EDIT: Everytime I play a song through mplayer, it freezes but continues playing/skipping.

EDIT2: If this is what you're asking for, it says, "Supported profiles: HFP, HSP" when I click the blue B, bluetooth settings, then devices.

EDIT3: Alright I guess all I needed to do was let the song finish playing. It gave me this message at the end:
================================================== ========================
Trying to force audio codec driver family dspmp3...
Opening audio decoder: [dspmp3] MP3 audio pass-through for Nokia 770/N800 (fake decoder)
ADecoder init failed
Trying to force audio codec driver family libmad...
Opening audio decoder: [libmad] libmad mpeg audio decoder
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 128.0 kbit/9.07% (ratio: 16000->176400)
Selected audio codec: [mad] afm: libmad (libMAD MPEG layer 1-2-3)
================================================== ========================
alsa-init: buffer_time: 0, period_time :0
AO: [alsa] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Video: no video
Starting playback...

BENCHMARKs: VC: 0.000s VO: 0.000s A: 31.265s Sys: 260.279s = 291.545s
BENCHMARK%: VC: 0.0000% VO: 0.0000% A: 10.7240% Sys: 89.2760% = 100.0000%

Exiting... (End of file)

Last edited by UXSam; 2008-08-28 at 20:22.