Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by tip184 View Post
Kathy's links point to images of Tux, the linux logo. I would not have associated him with maemo.

- tip184
I think that was just as examples of what can be done.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
I think that was just as examples of what can be done.
Precisely. Depending on the license on the logo, I think a grey scarf with the logo tastefully located a few inches from each end would be rather classy. And we never reached a consensus on what sort of animal should represent Maemo, anyway.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
A troll?

/me ducks and runs

Qt troll, of course .:P

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
A troll?

/me ducks and runs

Qt troll, of course .:P
Ahh yes, Maemo being the platform with lots of Qt guys.

There was a whole long thread with some terribly creative suggestions. But no decision.

I'll look into running the 'maemo.org' through a stitch matrix later.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
If I find the other thread under Community where this is also discussed, I'll request this be merged there.

Well, my thought is this. Would a mascot be a good thing? Yes. Could we have one? Yes. Will it happen? Not likely. It's not so much the community holding things up, but rather that corporate and marketing and all the lawyer types would have to mull this over, decide on the best one, and go with it. And you know for a fact that, unless the design was a home run times ten, they won't accept a community created mascot, partially for legal issues, and partially for corporate pride. I'm not being cynical, just realistic.

Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
What the hell are you talking about? The Community decides its own mascots and stuff.

The Maemo Community decided the outcome of the logo, as far as I am aware... The Maemo Community decided the outcome of the website's design... No corporate marketing involved here. It was heavily discussed during multiple Sprint Meetings and certainly very well documented.

Please go spill those fallacies somewhere else!

The Following User Says Thank You to CrashandDie For This Useful Post:
I'm talking about an official logo that Nokia would use in all corporate advertising and communications regarding Maemo, not a community logo. Those are two entirely different animals. Of course, I've been out of the swing of things for six months, and I'm using an obsolete n810, so what the hell do I know, right? I'm just old news that needs to get with the times and upgrade to an n900, right?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
we definitely need to distinguish between Maemo and maemo.org in a discussion like this.

maemo.org can do as it pleases wrt to logos/mascots as long as we don't infringe on anyone else's work. As for Maemo, it desperately needs a lofo of some sort but all we can do there is strongly suggest something.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
we definitely need to distinguish between Maemo and maemo.org in a discussion like this.

maemo.org can do as it pleases wrt to logos/mascots as long as we don't infringe on anyone else's work. As for Maemo, it desperately needs a lofo of some sort but all we can do there is strongly suggest something.
Great. So please, community, may I try knitting a maemo.org scarf? If I can get it right, I would like to be able to give it away to a few folks. Of course, that's 'if'.