Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Silly off topic post, but I do have a reason for asking.

In some fora one is expected to adopt One Av for life and stick to it. In others, people change avatars on an almost daily basis. My 'bear snuggling an n900' is my third av in about 8 weeks. I notice that others have changed their avs in that time.

So what's the usual convention for avs round here? Do people use their av to express their current mood? To show who they are? Do we all go seasonal? (I visit one place where people not only change avs but get new names for Halloween and the December holidays)

And who are the six random members of the community I see on the from page of Maemo.org? Do I really see the same 6 every visit - cos it feels like it?

And the real reason: with the onset of Advent tomorrow, can I use my Advent/getting ready for Christmas bears or will people be offended?

I don't even have an avatar, but as you say people are changing them around here all the time. I never saw any complaints. I haven't seen them discussed, really, so I don't know why people change them. I would imagine it's simply because they got fed up with the previous one, but as I don't use avatars I'm not sure.

I can't imagine anyone would mind your Advent Special avatar!

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Silly off topic post, but I do have a reason for asking.

In some fora one is expected to adopt One Av for life and stick to it. In others, people change avatars on an almost daily basis. My 'bear snuggling an n900' is my third av in about 8 weeks. I notice that others have changed their avs in that time.

So what's the usual convention for avs round here? Do people use their av to express their current mood? To show who they are? Do we all go seasonal? (I visit one place where people not only change avs but get new names for Halloween and the December holidays)

And who are the six random members of the community I see on the from page of Maemo.org? Do I really see the same 6 every visit - cos it feels like it?

And the real reason: with the onset of Advent tomorrow, can I use my Advent/getting ready for Christmas bears or will people be offended?
I find that for a technical forum, a headshot of myself that is fairly recent makes a reasonable avatar.

Last edited by Den in USA; 2009-11-30 at 20:31.

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
I'll probably never gonna change my good old Telefunken FuBK

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
So what's the usual convention for avs round here? Do people use their av to express their current mood? To show who they are? Do we all go seasonal?
Yes. All of the above and none of the above.

Okay, I don't recall anyone having done seasonal changes, but I don't see why someone shouldn't.

...people not only change avs but get new names for...the...holidays.
We've not been that festive. I've heard though, that if a forum is particularly sincere, the Yule Qole will grace it with a visit.

The maemo.org main page shows five random member avatars...and lardman. The randomness selects from all maemo.org accounts (note: not talk.maemo.org accounts) with avatars.

lardman is constantly displayed because he's quantum.

...will people be offended?
I suspect that the "causes offense to" mapping between "things in the forum" and "forum members" is already Onto. *shruggles*

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
lardman is better than random. He defies probability. He walks on water, lives off air and sunshine but does not do windows.

And the Yule Qole is a myth! All letters go unanswered. I'm still waiting for my blue tricycle you fur-lined, leaf-on-head-wearing elf!!!

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-11-30 at 20:48.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
lardman is better than random. He defies probability. He walks on water, lives off air and sunshine but does not do windows.
Yep. If you take the Internet and s/Chuck Norris/lardman/ you'll begin to have an idea of his greatness.

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
We've not been that festive. I've heard though, that if a forum is particularly sincere, the Yule Qole will grace it with a visit.
I thought the best qole was Daddy Qole and was sorry to see him go grumpy again.

For myself, my posts are long enough without adding pictures. I could put up a photo, but it would only be one type of scaling among many. Better to let members' imaginations go to work on the username. You should have heard my wife laugh when I told it to her.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
My avatar is a picture of me. When I give one of my bastard-style posts, people can put a picture of me on their dartboard.

Haha, don't celebrate Christmas here but anyone who would be offended are idiots...

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
'bear snuggling an n900
Actually Kathy, at that small size, and with the bear's two left limbs hidden by something black, I thought it was Desperate Dan's head in profile. I did wonder .....