I don't know if it's enough power, but the 770 supplies no power; hence power injectors for anything. The N800 supplies some power, so it may work; if not, a powered hub is usually the best choice.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
I didn't know the n800 could supply some power. I would suggest you switch the ardunio to external power instead of powering it off of usb. I would guess that it would then be possible to use the ardunio with the n800 without a power injector but I don't have an n800. So I can't test this.

cmdowns, can you please tell me how do you install pyserial on n810??????? it says no such module "serial". but i guess i havent installed python serial. when i write "python setup.py install" it says i dont have some distutils.core or smth. wtf.

i have python2.5, n810, latest soft.
doing python setup.py install throws an error

ImportError: No module named distutils.core

do i have to reinstall python? is there any other way that i could read the serial data?
one site suggested "screen /dev/ttyUSB0 9600", but screen is also not installed on n810, and typing just "/dev/ttyUSB0 9600" throws permission denied.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by valtersboze View Post
is there any other way that i could read the serial data?
one site suggested "screen /dev/ttyUSB0 9600", but screen is also not installed on n810, and typing just "/dev/ttyUSB0 9600" throws permission denied.
You can use stty to set serial port parameters and cat to echo characters on screen (unidirectional only, typed characters will not be echoed back to serial port):

Code:
$ stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 9600 raw
$ cat /dev/ttyUSB0
Having said that, here's what it says on pySerial home page:

The files in this package are 100% pure Python. They depend on non standard but common packages on Windows (win32all) and Jython (JavaComm). POSIX (Linux, BSD) uses only modules from the standard Python distribution)
It should be possible to copy the serial directory of pySerial to your own project directory and import from there. Only three of the files in serial are really required on Linux:

Code:
myprog/
  serial/
    __init__.py
    serialposix.py
    serialutil.py
  myprog.py
Disclaimer: I have not tested this on an actual N8x0. EDIT: Tested on an N810, works fine.

Last edited by jethro.itt; 2008-05-20 at 12:22. Reason: Tested on a real device.

ok, im total noob. i guess you didnt write "python setup.py install"? anyways that wont work for me.
i copied miniterm.py one directory up from examples, so i write "python miniterm.py -port/dev/ttyUSB0", it throws "could not open port" but i guess it means the python side works ok?

as for the code
"$ stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 9600 raw
$ cat /dev/ttyUSB0"

it works wonderfully outputing all my serial output! thanks!

ok i didnt get the python script working, but my nokia gets the serial data from Arduino! btw, n810 powers the device by itself, no injector required. Though i will add external power source, since i`m going to attach a lot of stuff to Arduino!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
i guess you didnt write "python setup.py install"? anyways that wont work for me.
No, I just moved the serial directory under the examples directory and tested some of the examples.

i copied miniterm.py one directory up from examples, so i write "python miniterm.py -port/dev/ttyUSB0", it throws "could not open port" but i guess it means the python side works ok?
The syntax is:

Code:
$ python miniterm.py --port=/dev/ttyUSB0
as for the code

it works wonderfully outputing all my serial output! thanks!
Good to hear!

Originally Posted by jethro.itt View Post
The syntax is:

Code:
$ python miniterm.py --port=/dev/ttyUSB0

oh comon, you`re like jesus! it works perfectly, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I'm sorry I missed the action in this thread over the last week, particularly when valtersboz asked for my assistance with PySerial. It's not often that I can be on the giving end of info in this forum.

But it looks like several people are making good progress interfacing their nokias and arduinos. Last night I finally got D-rock's scripts to work and my arduino can receive serial from the nokia's usb.

I haven't developed any application of this yet, but I intend to use it to control a couple of motors driving some small wheels. I'll be using some simple h-bridges to control the motor. After I get my this working with the usb cable, I plan on switching to a bluetooth connection and eliminate the wiring between the nokia and the arduino.

I'd like to hear what other people are doing with their nokia/arduino set up and what progress they're making. Particularly, I'd like to hear about how people are getting the nokia to receive serial from the arduino and what they intend to do with that.