so the idea is based on three components - a car Engine Control Unit (pre'96, no OBD2), a voltmeter with USB interface (like this, this or this ) and Nokia N810.
The problem is that there are no drivers or software for linux to control these voltmeters, only windows.
The Idea? Seeing all car related info (sensors, pressure, level, temperature, speeds, etc) on screen with user defined view and with user defined warnings. the ECU (I have toyota celica turbo 1990) sends sensor info on seperate wires in range of 0-5 Volts, the voltmeter reads as fast as 1ms.

the other option is to have a Windows based PC somewhere hidden in the car and connect from N810 to it with wireless or smth. but you need to load windows everytime you start your car.

How har is it to develop drivers and some software API for such voltmeters?

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by valtersboze View Post
so the idea is based on three components - a car Engine Control Unit (pre'96, no OBD2), a voltmeter with USB interface (like this, this or this ) and Nokia N810.
The problem is that there are no drivers or software for linux to control these voltmeters, only windows.
The Idea? Seeing all car related info (sensors, pressure, level, temperature, speeds, etc) on screen with user defined view and with user defined warnings. the ECU (I have toyota celica turbo 1990) sends sensor info on seperate wires in range of 0-5 Volts, the voltmeter reads as fast as 1ms.

the other option is to have a Windows based PC somewhere hidden in the car and connect from N810 to it with wireless or smth. but you need to load windows everytime you start your car.

How har is it to develop drivers and some software API for such voltmeters?
There's a project similar to this in garage. But I think it's for OBD2, now that I think about it.

Garage is SLOOOWW right now, so I can't search for it.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
carman would be the closest afaik. (but it uses bluetooth)

I dunno about those specifically, but I'm sure you can come up with some USB data acquisition board that works. (That's what it'd normally be called, so you might find more searching for that...)

That voltmeter board looks maybe not as good as the arduino, which is cheap, open, and should be much easier to get going under Linux. Search "arduino" on the forum and you should find others that are getting it working on the NITs.

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...roducts_id=666
http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardDiecimila

Appears to have 6 analog inputs, 0-5V each and 10 bit resolution. The first link you gave only had 8 bit resolution.

Didn't check the full specs, but a bluetooth version is available too:
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...oducts_id=8255

The Following User Says Thank You to rbrewer123 For This Useful Post:
OBD II port is slow as hell and so the data acquired by "Carman" is slow. and my turbocelica doesnt have OBD2 port.

rbrewer123, thanks for the links!

hmm, what does this mean?

--
Input Voltage (recommended) 7-12 V
Input Voltage (limits) 6-20 V
--

though down the page its said "By default they measure from ground to 5 volt"

oh, and unfortunately, the Arduino linux version needs java runtime environment :/

Originally Posted by valtersboze View Post
hmm, what does this mean?

--
Input Voltage (recommended) 7-12 V
Input Voltage (limits) 6-20 V
--

though down the page its said "By default they measure from ground to 5 volt"
I think that 7-12V "input voltage" is the power supply voltage it wants. Further down under "Inputs and Outputs" it's talking about its sensor pins. The "analog inputs" are what would read your voltage values from the engine controller. Even further down under "Power" it better explains the power supply.

I think it means that you have to supply about 12 V to run it, and it measures voltages from 0-5 V?