Active Topics

my wife's laptop is on it's last legs- doubtful it will make it to july 4th

which gives *me* the opportunity for a new laptop.

i am looking for a laptop which will allow me to put linux on it and run everything- wireless/dvd/cd/burner everything

i have become a believer in linux (thank you nokia and maemo) and i am ready to take to the big step

(don't feel sorry for my wife- she will inherit a macbook w/2gb of ram)

i like the size and weight of the macbook - but not the price

any suggestions???????

My wife has Sony Vaio TX

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ eastern north carolina usa
id read on some of the linux (ubuntu) boards ...my old hp ze 4650 works flawlessly...wireless is kina weak...but otherwise fine...dumped the broadcom for an intel wirreless...

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
You might consider the eee pc and its relatives. Some of them are available in Linix varieties.

I have an old Dell Latitude D800, which works great. You could consider a used laptop. On the other hand, I tried Sidux, a version of Linux, on a cheap new HP laptop a friend bought, and it looked great. The laptop came with Vista on it, but even booting from a live CD, Sidux ran circles around it.

If you go to the DistroWatch site (www.distrowatch.com), a company that advertises there called MadTux sells very cheap new computers mainly to Linux fans. I have often been tempted by the MadTux selection.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
If you're considering eee pc size & price range, make sure you also check out MSI Wind. It has a bigger keyboard than eee's miniscule annoyance (I'm feeling it because I'm using it right now to type this post), and you have the option to get it configured with a big harddrive as well as the now popular SSD storage.

One thing that interests me greatly on the MSI Wind is because it has just the right hardware configuration to run OSX w/ accelerated graphic (cpu w/ SSE2,3, hyperthreading.. ich7.. 945 mobo chipset, etc)

If you want to run Linux on the laptop, make especially sure to research the wireless card and graphics card before buying. They're the components most likely to give you problems under Linux.

Under Linux, I've been very happy with my laptop's Intel graphics and Intel wireless.