Active Topics

is it possible to setup printing on the n810 with os 2008
can you do this with the stock web browser?

One way to print is to use rDesktop. Obviously this has limitations but you do not have any printer setup to do.

Couldn't someone port LPD or CUPS? Unfortunately I am no developer, but it would be really nice to print some things out via wireless to a SAMBA printer or network printer.

On that note:
Anyone have a recommendation for a Good 802.11g/n router that also has printer and/or network storage abilities (USB)? I'd love to attach my external drives and printe to the router and free up my laptop again!
Nokia n810 Diablo
(After many years of Palm and Windows PDAs)
"So Shut Up, Live, Travel, Adventure, Bless, And Don't Be Sorry." - Jack Kerouac

Penguinbait has cups running in his port of KDE for the NIT. I've used it successfully to print on my network several times. http://www.penguinbait.com/

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Dayton, TN
Originally Posted by combatdoc View Post
Anyone have a recommendation for a Good 802.11g/n router that also has printer and/or network storage abilities (USB)? I'd love to attach my external drives and printe to the router and free up my laptop again!
I don't know of any routers that would do that off the top of my head. But you might want to take a look at the NSLU2. They're really handy for attaching a USB hard drive (or flash drive) to your network. And if you're a bit Linux savvy you can hack them to do all sorts of things including being a print server. You can find one for about $50 bucks these days.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Goofee691 View Post
is it possible to setup printing on the n810 with os 2008
This has been discussed previously.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
I don't know of any routers that would do that off the top of my head. But you might want to take a look at the NSLU2. They're really handy for attaching a USB hard drive (or flash drive) to your network. And if you're a bit Linux savvy you can hack them to do all sorts of things including being a print server. You can find one for about $50 bucks these days.
Unfortunately they are discontinued and my past experiences with eBay and the like for hardware have not been the best.

Penguinbait has cups running in his port of KDE for the NIT
Unfortunately, that requires loading all the KDE overhead, something I was trying to avoid doing as I don't need all that, althought KDE PIM and a few other things have made me consider it. Just LPD would work as long as it could find my shared printer. There is already a Linux driver for it.
Nokia n810 Diablo
(After many years of Palm and Windows PDAs)
"So Shut Up, Live, Travel, Adventure, Bless, And Don't Be Sorry." - Jack Kerouac

Originally Posted by combatdoc View Post
Try New Apple Airport Express : 802.11a/b/g/draft n + Audio Streaming (Digital & Analog output) + USB Port + 10/100 Ethernet Port

Tech Specs : http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/specs.html