Im sorry that there are a lot of questions but I could not find the answers from the wiki. Searching from this forum is also very difficult because most of the posts are so old. I would appreciate if someone could answer at least some of my questions.

Im trying to add the extras-testing repository. The related wiki page http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras-testing instructs to add it via the application manager. However repository wiki page http://wiki.maemo.org/Repository instructs to add the repositories via the sources.list file. In addition there seems to be two different sources.list files: /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/hildon-application-manager.list

How are these files related to the application manager? When I changed the deb url in hildon-application-manager.list from "..extras" to "..extras-testing", updated and restarted the application manager and went to "Application catalogues" the url in the maemo repository had not changed (I assumed that the url "..extras" should have been to "..extras-testing" as written in the hildon-application-manager.list file).

So here are some questions:
1) What is the difference between /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/hildon-application-manager.list ?
2) Which one should be used when adding new repositories?
3) Whats the difference when adding repos from those files and from application manager?
4) If I add the extras-testing repo, should I remove the plain extras repo?
5) Id like to add CSSU testing. Does this require / assume that the extras-testing is installed? (are the cssu and extras incompatible when only one of them are testing repo?)
6) The "perfect setup" wikipages all suggests to run latest official Nokia SSU. This can no more be done, however. Is it equivalent to add the nokia-mirror repository (described in the Repository wiki page) ?
7) Is the nokia-mirror recommended to install? I found out that for example nano could not be installed without it.
8) By default the "distribution" in the extras repository is "fremantle-1.3". In the wiki examples its just "fremantle". Are they aliases? Does it matter which one is used?
9) How does the disabling repo from application manager work? When I disable some repo, it disappears from the hildon sources.list file. However since it can be seen from the application manager, the information must be stored somewhere. Where?
10) This is related to the previous question. How can I remove (not just disable) the not working nokia repos from the application manager?
11) When the nokia mirrors repos are added and apt-get update is run, the output errors for GPG signature. However the repo seems to work (could not install nano without it) so is this serious? Can the GPG error be fixed somehow?

In addition I would like to ask about the web browsers. I tried opera (from extras) and the default browser. Most of the web pages does not work at all. Is there an up to date web browser for fremantle? Can ssl certificates be updated somehow? I tried to find the info about the web browsers and certificates from the wiki but I found nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Edit:
Im using the freshly flashed 20.2010.36-2 firmware. Initially the /etc/apt/sources.list is empty and all repos are in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/hildon-application-manager.list

Last edited by apason; 2020-03-26 at 23:00.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apason For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
You don't need the extras-testing repository.
It was part of the QA process but seen as zero packages get QA'ed any more it's not worth using.
Extras have passed community QA and extra-devel use at your own risk they haven't been tested or past QA checks.
GPG isn't an error it's a warning and not fixable
It's not advised to use apt on Maemo it was only ever intended to install packages via HAM.
Hardly any browser works well any more, reports are people have best result with easy-debian for browsing

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
I am not the best one to answer but me answering may force others to correct. Most of your questions are the same which I have had problems with last time yesterday when flashed my N900 again. And some I do not know the anwser yet. But...

"1) What is the difference between /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/hildon-application-manager.list ?"

I do not know the right answer. Have ignored that cause there was some reasons why I preferred to use the HAM (short form of saying Hildon Application Manager) even thouugh there are cases when the HAM won't work but with sources list you can do installs and updates.

"2) Which one should be used when adding new repositories?"

I believe the first one but it is also adviced to make own list.d where to add.

"3) Whats the difference when adding repos from those files and from application manager?"

Probably nothing really unless you get a problem with HAM. But with sources list you do not need the names for the lists, just the url.

"4) If I add the extras-testing repo, should I remove the plain extras repo?"

I have understood that you need to keep the extras. Extras-testing has some test forms of the extras repo, but extras repo has many things which are not in testing repo if they haven't been further developed (if I have understood correctly). And in testing there are some apps which have not yet made their way (will they ever anymore?) to extras, so you need both.

"5) Id like to add CSSU testing. Does this require / assume that the extras-testing is installed? (are the cssu and extras incompatible when only one of them are testing repo?)"

Have you read the CSSU wikipage https://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU and installed the CSSU testing? For you to be able to do that you need the Nokia mirror repos and the wiki guides you through the installation process. Without installing CSSU I doubt you can use or make use of the CSSU testing repo (so I have thought, always have installed cssu and not even thought that option).

"6) The "perfect setup" wikipages all suggests to run latest official Nokia SSU. This can no more be done, however. Is it equivalent to add the nokia-mirror repository (described in the Repository wiki page) ?"

CSSU is possible to be installed and recommended and for that you need nokia mirror repos.

"7) Is the nokia-mirror recommended to install? I found out that for example nano could not be installed without it."

Yes, repo has some things not (at least easily) found elsewhere.

"8) By default the "distribution" in the extras repository is "fremantle-1.3". In the wiki examples its just "fremantle". Are they aliases? Does it matter which one is used?"

This is something I would like to know too. I think at the moment just yesterday I have just for this reason of not knowing left both optioned repos on HAM for extras.

"9) How does the disabling repo from application manager work? When I disable some repo, it disappears from the hildon sources.list file. However since it can be seen from the application manager, the information must be stored somewhere. Where?"

I don't know or care. Don't know what does it matter or help to know.

"10) This is related to the previous question. How can I remove (not just disable) the not working nokia repos from the application manager?"

There is the option to remove when you click the repo to adjust it. Either you tack the box to disable or you choose to completely to remove it.

"11) When the nokia mirrors repos are added and apt-get update is run, the output errors for GPG signature. However the repo seems to work (could not install nano without it) so is this serious? Can the GPG error be fixed somehow?"

I would like to get that fixed too.

"In addition I would like to ask about the web browsers. I tried opera (from extras) and the default browser. Most of the web pages does not work at all. Is there an up to date web browser for fremantle?"

Of Opera you need to have the testing version or was it even from devel-repo version 12.1beta1-16. Then you need to Install ssl updates (search thread Devel Upgrades), open Opera's about:config from the url bar and tack from security preferences tls 1.2 on and reboot Opera. Not all https sites are opened (like I would like to use startpage but has not yet been able with Opera) but many sites do work.

There is a bit more updated (but quite slow) Fennec mozilla browser for CSSU Thumb users only (read about the Thumb). I could not get the Thumb installed. Says the cssu enabler not found and I always forget where or how to get it. I once found it from some repo so it is there but I had to download it first and then install with dpkg -i even though other cssu installs work.

Then there is the QML browser. There is one thread I think it is ssl or tls related so with those words you may find and search with google, not the forum search. Just put maemo talk with the search too. In that thread it is told how to get certs updated for that browser which is like micro-b the default browser.

If you wan't you can also try Dooble browser which I would be using but have never learned how to update the certs or remove the weak ones.

The most updated browsers you get though only by using Easy Debbie's debian jessie chroot install. For that you will get instructions if you search first the Easy Debbie thread and from there you check http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...essie&page=329 the last ten pages of messages. There are links which help you to install a jessie image and for that openssl with certs and netsurf 3.9 browser https://wiki.maemo.org/Easy_Debian/L..._Debian_Jessie . That browser is fast and secure but won't either open yet all pages. The netsurf 4.0 will probably be more full browser with some java support which is still missing.

Your best option though is IceWeasel browser which comes with jessieimage made for EasyDebbie use. I suggest though you to overclock N900 to say 900 and install swappolube and use the proposed values. The IceWeasel is slow, but if you do the same openssl and cert upates which are instructed in the instructions for the netsurf (instructions by juiceme he made for me and I just share the link to the instruction) it is quite secure and opens almost everything.

"Can ssl certificates be updated somehow? I tried to find the info about the web browsers and certificates from the wiki but I found nothing."

Yes at least to some point. I have done it with dpkg -i after someone shared me or pointed me to the right files. I have this kind of files. Someone could tell me too in which order they should be used.

libmaemosec-certman0_0.2.10_armel.deb
libmaemosec0_0.2.10_armel.deb
libssl0.9.8_0.9.8zh-1+maemo1+0m5+0cssu0_armel.deb
libssl1.1_1.1.0h-4_armel.deb
libstdc++6_4.7.2-0+cssu0_armel.deb
maemosec-certman-common-ca_0.2.10_all.deb
maemosec-certman-tools_0.2.10_armel.deb
openssl-1.0.1g_armel.deb
openssl_1.1.0h-4.dsc
openssl_1.1.0h-4_armel.deb
ssl.defs.txt

You will also need to update the Qt4 stuff for some security things to work but then some apps won't work cause they rely older Qt stuff (atleast this is the case with QMLBrowser and also with cutetube2)

Halftux is offline Halftux

21st Aug 2019 , 12:09

My hint never do an upgrade on activated extras-devel or cssu-devel.

From extras-devel I try (one by one) only things which I need and when they work they can stay else I remove them. So some packages from extras-devel have less bugs and are newer versions.

From cssu-devel I only use openssl, new certificates and qt4.

Code:

apt-get install maemosec-certman-common-ca
apt-get install libssl1.1
apt-get install openssl
c_rehash /etc/certs/common-ca
apt-get install libqt4-core

maemosec-certman binary for manual installation.

So new certificates from cssu-devel is a must. For openssl you could also stick to / try out openssl 1.0.1 or openssl 1.0.2 qt is needed when you want use libssl1.1.

However when you use qt4 from cssu-devel it could be that you need to recompile applications which are using qt.

When I remember right cutetube has more problems like authentification changes, api changes and ssl changes. I tried to look into the problem but what me made stop was that my old youtube account is not useable anymore, because they want a phone number but I only want to show them my middle finger and not my number. But it seems that this will not work, I could not login with my middle finger.

And in this thread you will find some info which may help a bit http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ssl+tls&page=2

Are you aware of the Maemo Leste, new build of Maemo? It is not ready yet for phone use but for other things you may find it working. Check Maemo Leste.

Hope this gave you some information. I use N900 as my daily phone, but I have to use something else for whatsapp and youtube (even though others here have got cutetube2 working) and have not yet mastered telegram-cli and the pidgin plugin for telegram hasn't worked like I would need it to.

Even so flawed or cripled in many ways I still hang on with this device.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

Last edited by Maemish; 2020-03-27 at 00:55.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
I was using everytime HAM for adding repositories because it is easy to disable them and it was also meant by the design to use the gui.

Only the cssu installer added some repositories which I not added manually.

There are also links which automatic added some repos, but never used them better to control it and do it yourself.

maemo extras repo is compatible to stock.
CSSU repos are updates to stock which are system packages and I think thats why it is a different repo also not all packages could be made autobuilder friendly or simply the autobuilder was outdated.

Everything should be compatible with each other, only when you on cssu you should not install old packages from extras when new ones are in the cssu repository. And when you are not on cssu you should install it first before you are using any cssu repository.

This gpg error is because the public key is expired, so what can be done from our site is something like the following link or to change the date?:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/7434...-checks-of-apt

Nothing else to say Maemish was giving a good overview.

The Following User Says Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
reports are people have best result with easy-debian for browsing
I wouldn't even know how to update my decade old Easy Debian Estel image to a modern one, maybe a little lighter on the 256MB RAM
Any suggestions where to lazily download a more up to date image?

Apart from the indispensable communication protocols (SIP on the front) all true good smartphone usability starts with a usable webbrowser that can keep modern bugs/scripts at bay.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post: