Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
What is that upstart package ?
Init system of ubuntu ?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Yes, maemo is using upstart init system from ubuntu. And file /etc/default/mount-opts is in system-services package which is part of upstart source package (in maemo).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
I have extras-devel enabled, but cannot find anything called "upstart" in HAM.

The Following User Says Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
I have extras-devel enabled, but cannot find anything called "upstart" in HAM.
Of course you can't. HAM hides system packages. To the extent that when a package HAM does show depends on one it doesn't and you happen not to have it or have an older version, HAM fails to install even the visible package with some cryptic error message. Only experience has taught me what the cause is and how to deal with it.

This behaviour is another reason I ditched HAM in favour of FAM and the command line. YMMV.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
cssu-devel, not extras-devel

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Thanks, Pali.
I have cssu-devel enabled, & when I type "upstart" in "all" applications to download in HAM, nothing appears.

The Following User Says Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...

Try command-line? '# apt-get install upstart' or '#aptitude install upstart'?

Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
it is in binary package system-services. upstart is source package.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Speaking of the init system being upstart (*sigh*... just saw this thread's tags... At the time of this writing four out of five of them are largely-irrelevant-to-productive-discussion troll/spam tags mentioning Estel by name.)

Anyway, speaking of the init system... I must say I like upstart more than for example systemd or the old-school SysV init, and of the really common and popular init systems, I'm glad our N900 uses it. I'm also really glad to hear that CSSU-devel has an update for it coming.

That said, I think it would be nice if in the long run, the dependency that the CSSU package required became not necessarily Upstart, but some sort of list of virtual packages standing for the required features. Like how we do with the various kernel-power derivatives.

An updated Upstart could then put those in the 'provides' field of it's deb packaging - and so could any other set of packages that provides the agreed-upon underlying functionality that we actually /need/.

I hope that if someone ever put together an init/event system for our aging N900s that I thought was better for my device(s), that the CSSU metapackage dependencies will not require me to fight against the packaging system to switch, like I think I would have to right now.

Now, I realize how extremely deeply an init system like Upstart is coupled to the whole system, so I would even be fine if this virtual package was unapologetically upstart-focused (e.g. the virtual package could be called "upstart-[version-number]-compatible", or something like that). Simply requiring the alternative to do a 'Provides: upstart" would be fine by me too, though the provides field supports only package names, not version numbers, so if the upstart dependency of the CSSU metapackage is as rigid by version as some of the other dependencies have been in my memory, then such a 'Provides' field wouldn't enable such a swap as things are.

Actually in context of the very last post about how it's in some system-services package, I get the impression that things are even more tightly coupled (I imagine this package bundles several low-level system things together). It would be nice, I think, if the long term goal was to split those up and package them more independently, again allowing for alternatives to be provided and for the CSSU to depend on one or the other based on virtual/meta packages, instead of on specifically one.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Quick reply...

Try command-line? '# apt-get install upstart' or '#aptitude install upstart'?

Best wishes.
I did apt-get install upstart as root, then re-booted.
The problem persists.

When I plug the phone into a W7 laptop via USB, W7 gives an "unknown device" message & says the device could not be installed.

An N900 folder appears in the windows explorer, but it is empty when clicked.

The filesystem of the phone, both onboard & SD card, are still unavailable via USB & WinSCP.

Have I missed something?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:

Tags
cssu testing