Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by pa28pilot View Post
There's no lack of articulate discourse with this group. There are clearly good folks here, with a wide range of expertise. I suppose that gave rise to my surprise at some of what I've seen.
Perhaps your surprise stems from an incomplete understanding of the situation and context relevant to the issue?

We arrived at a compromise, that does address some of the issues. Agreed.
Again, I don't think you completely understand the issue here. The "compromise" we've arrived at solves the "issues" a helluva lot better and more effectively than the original implementation.

I may be a little unusual in that I tend to ascribe serious ownership rights to people who take the time to operate useful discussion fora. I readily admit that while I think it's wonderful for them to solicit input, that in the end, they should be empowered to do what they see fit for the greatest good. When people begin suggesting that content not be included, I tend to become circumspect, as I think the market of ideas will decide in the end what the most useful venues are.
P.S. Texrat, you're clearly insightful about some of these matters, how about addressing the more substantive aspects of my last post? I'm all for being criticized, but I think Krisse's message is a perfect example of the sort of discussion that should take place BEFORE people make decisions.
So which is it, forum owners should do whatever the hell they want, effects on the community be damned, or we should have a substantive discussion of the issue before they do that?

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I'm actually pretty much done debating, so, I'm reluctant to address any more points, sorry... it's been done ad nauseum. The horse is now a rug.

In the end, it really doesn't matter what any of us says-- ultimately, any final decision is Reggie's.

At that point, everything else is just noise. Including this post.

EDIT: but just so we're clear-- you're still mischaracterizing the content issue. That's one reason I don't want to debate it any longer... when a participant refuses to consider that he has constructed his argument upon an error, any efforts after the first to illustrate that become futile.

Besides, if Reggie disallowed suggestions, as you *appear* to believe should be done (I'm not really clear there, because you seem to want some of us to shut up, but then declare discussion should take place before decisions are made), then the forum would die soon if not immediately afterward. Input is good. Disagreement is good. Without it, we have groupthink, and groupthink=death.

Oh, and welcome to Linux.

Last edited by Texrat; 2008-05-24 at 20:20.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
I'm actually pretty much done debating, so, I'm reluctant to address any more points, sorry... it's been done ad nauseum. The horse is now a rug.

In the end, it really doesn't matter what any of us says-- ultimately, any final decision is Reggie's.

At that point, everything else is just noise. Including this post.

EDIT: but just so we're clear--

...famous last words.

Originally Posted by krisse View Post
...famous last words.
LOL... I have this stupid desire to make sure what I say is understood. It will be my downfall.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Eastern U.S.A.
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Again, I don't think you completely understand the issue here. The "compromise" we've arrived at solves the "issues" a helluva lot better and more effectively than the original implementation.
I know you don't. That's clear. I'm not going to ascribe laziness or a lack of diligence to anyone as you and Texrat have, so I'll simply say that the entire matter is fraught with meta-considerations. People can choose to find them or not, as they see fit.

So which is it, forum owners should do whatever the hell they want, effects on the community be damned, or we should have a substantive discussion of the issue before they do that?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma - Interesting reading, though not quite as pithy as your closing.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Eastern U.S.A.
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
LOL... I have this stupid desire to make sure what I say is understood. It will be my downfall.
Nah. That's the curse of self-awareness. Just know the world is made easy for those not cursed with it.

I thanked you for your message above, because there was no I-cracked-up-laughing-at-your-"Welcome to Linux" button.

The "welcome to Linux" was my own pithy contribution. Read it as only slightly less than sarcastic.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 449 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ eastern north carolina usa
so to recap.....ill not reiterate my earlier post....ya know about opinions...

We were apparently short on drama.

I suggest we syndicate some from slashdot.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
We were apparently short on drama.

I suggest we syndicate some from slashdot.
But Slashdot drama is so impersonal and one dimensional. . . .

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-05-24 at 23:01.