Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Now I only need to find how the hell one creates DOS's keyb (duckduckgo/google time)
Apart from Google (try to find FreeDOS documentation, I remember it was somewhat better), there is also the following:

http://depot.javispedro.com/nit/dosbox/kc.tar.gz -- I ported FreeDOS's "key compiler" to ANSI C, so that you can build it on your N900 or a desktop. Includes Makefile. Also includes the original documentation which describes the key file syntax.

http://depot.javispedro.com/nit/dosbox/rover/ -- Source files for the rover.sys I created. They are not in UTF-8 but rather in DOS codepage 850, so they are hard to edit unless your editor supports that. An example of a somewhat good editor supporting such code page is DosBox's edit.com

You might want to use
http://depot.javispedro.com/nit/dosbox/rover/us.key
as a starting point for key file, but I don't really remember the syntax.... I however remember that every entry in [keys] should be like this:
Code:
scancode   command_for_plane1   command_for_plane2  ....
where scancode is the "real" keyboard scancode (suffixed with C if it's a key that can be influenced by "caps lock"). For every plane, you can set either a command or a character. Commands are prefixed with ! (e.g. !0 is "command 0" which means 'use defaults').

Planes in the us.key file are:
1. Normal
2. Caps lock
3. Shift + N900's FN
4. FN

They are defined in the [planes] section (first two planes are implicit).

Last edited by javispedro; 2021-11-27 at 14:05.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Slightly off topic but are you guys aware of the FastDOSBox fork optimised for ARMv7?

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Thanks a lot for your detailed answer. Yea, while searching, I've run into informations about <> keys working on different level, but it was very vague and I hadn't idea what do make out of it.

The game I'm interested in definitely works with DOS's keyb - numbers are working flawlessly (and stop doing so, if I skip keyb rover.sys us line). So, I understand that creating "custom" keyb.sys with those keys mapped would work? That's great to hear! Now I only need to find how the hell one creates DOS's keyb (duckduckgo/google time)

/Estel
Did you manage to get this working?

I am more or less usings vi_'s keymap, based my design on his... So I have F1-F12 mapped fn + shift but these don't work very well in dosbox with rover.sys loaded but also not with the default keyboard loaded
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Having just returned to using dosbox, I am pleased to see some great improvements with regard to the mouse:

1. there is no more offset between a stylus tap and a mouse click. Reading through the thread, I can't find how/when this happened. Either way, thanks much.

2. it is possible to right click by pressing a configurable key (e.g. shift)

However, this is not well documented (there is also the SDL_Mouse_Relative entry in the .conf file - what does it do?), so the average user will have to plow through the thread (assuming he even knows of the new features). Should the wiki page be updated?

Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
Did you manage to get this working?

I am more or less usings vi_'s keymap, based my design on his... So I have F1-F12 mapped fn + shift but these don't work very well in dosbox with rover.sys loaded but also not with the default keyboard loaded
Not yet, sorry. Too much women and booze projects, not so much time, so while I saved javispedro's nice instructions on personal notes in case TMO gets blown, I haven't had a chance to test it yet in practice.

If you want to try it, take your time - I'll gladly drink a vine of your efforts

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
er... How does one obtain keycodes?
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Hmm... No traffic here for nearly four years... I wonder if anyone is still using DOSBox on their N900s...

Never mind, it might be worth a shot. Posting costs nothing (yet ).

As mentioned in another thread, I have recently rediscovered some old PC games. After playing for a while I noticed some... let's say interesting effects. The list is short but the blurb is rather long-winded. Sorry about that:
  • Running DOSBox sucks the battery dry in no time. 30 minutes of DOSBox is like 8 hours on standby. 2 hours and the phone is dead. But that is hardly surprising, DOS is not really optimized for idling.
  • When the screen timeout kicks in, DOSBox loses the mouse. Tapping on the screen is no longer registered. The screen does not need to blank out completely: it dims first for a few seconds before switching off, but the mouse is lost the moment is starts dimming. It had bugged me for a while - I went through hoops to kill and restart the application to get the mouse back - until I found that simply turning the screen on again by the slider on the side solves the problem.
    This effect can be observed immediately. Start DOSBox and wait for 30 seconds for the screen to time out.
  • After a few hours of play and then leaving the game and exiting DOSBox (legally, through menu options and the "exit" command), I get back to the Maemo desktop, but the screen is all wrong: the wallpaper is gone, the icons descriptions are gone, the rotation lock setting is gone... I have to reboot the phone to get back to normal.
    This is accumulative. It does not need to be a single, several hours long session. I can play for two hours, exit, start again, play for 30 minutes, exit... After a few cycles like that, usually taking 2-3 days, I am guaranteed to get into the described situation. The best way to avoid it is a prophylactic reboot after every day of play, then the leak or whatever there is never has a chance to accumulate enough to trigger the effect.
    The fact that it accumulates over multiple instances of running and exiting DOSBox and the game makes me believe that it is not a leak in the game itself, but in something that keeps running after the game and DOSBox is terminated. Hildon desktop? The kernel?
  • Sometimes,if ignored for long enough, the above effect can accumulate enough to corrupt the graphics inside DOSBox itself. Once that happens, it may no longer be possible to exit the game normally, it may need to be killed by brute force.
  • A more lasting effect: the browser history is corrupted, although I have observed that in the past in unrelated circumstances. Any unexpected reboot can corrupt the browser history. You need to clear it.
  • By far the most serious: I lost the receiver speaker. The phone rings, I answer - silence. Switch to a loudspeaker, OK. Switch to Bluetooth, OK. Switch back to the receiver, silence.
    I suspect a corrupt file in some package, but which one? How do I find out?

Last edited by pichlo; 2018-01-10 at 07:45. Reason: Added the clause about power drain

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
For the dimmer/mouse/lock switch problem I would look at the Maemo patches. Might be it's only checking for the lock switch. Haven't looked at it since I built the update for the ARM optimizations.

Not sure where to start on other issues. Could it be partly related to OOM?

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
  • By far the most serious: I lost the receiver speaker. The phone rings, I answer - silence. Switch to a loudspeaker, OK. Switch to Bluetooth, OK. Switch back to the receiver, silence.
    I suspect a corrupt file in some package, but which one? How do I find out?
That one happened to me a few times over the years with N900 without using DOSBox too - in fact when using only phone/messaging/microb since previous restart, so it might be something more generic (Nokia's alsa patches?).

The Following User Says Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by misiak View Post
That one happened to me a few times over the years with N900 without using DOSBox too - in fact when using only phone/messaging/microb since previous restart, so it might be something more generic (Nokia's alsa patches?).
Yeah, I am suspecting a corruption due to an unexpected reboot, which was only indirectly related to DOSBox (when I had to reboot due to unresponsiveness).

How did you fix it? I would rather not reflash if I can avoid it.