Notices

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Finland

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by otsaloma View Post
https://mapzen.com/blog/shutdown/
Valhalla's team is joining Mapbox, see announcement at https://github.com/valhalla

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Interesting. Good for development and offline use, I guess, but quite impossible for online service use. Mapbox's terms and pricing are very difficult, e.g. "You may only use our Navigation SDK or results from our Directions API in or for real-time turn-by-turn navigation (regardless of mode of transportation) for up to 50 Seats."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 444 times | Joined on Jul 2013 @ Katowice, PL
"You may only use our Navigation SDK or results from our Directions API in or for real-time turn-by-turn navigation (regardless of mode of transportation) for up to 50 Seats."
So, navigating a double-decker bus is strictly prohibited? I can stand it

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to briest For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Interesting. Good for development and offline use, I guess, but quite impossible for online service use. Mapbox's terms and pricing are very difficult, e.g. "You may only use our Navigation SDK or results from our Directions API in or for real-time turn-by-turn navigation (regardless of mode of transportation) for up to 50 Seats."
Well, we can always setup a service for Valhalla online. I have to make imports for the planet anyway, so we have data available for routing. Same goes for Mapbox tiles, btw. I don't know what are the requirements for the server, but its surely possible if the users would pay for it. Or if some company interested in it would like to back it. Let's see what is going to happen and then look for solutions.

But loosing a company such as Mapzen is a loss. In addition to Valhalla, they were supporting the developer of libpostal.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Well, here's a summary of the routing providers off the top of my head.
  • MapQuest Open: probably a deprecated service after MapQuest's revamp a while back: "They are currently still maintained but their future is still being determined. Sorry, not much more news than that at this time."
  • OSRM: Demo server is very unstable, not usable in production even for a small user base.
  • Mapbox: Impossible terms unless paying $500/mo.
  • HERE: Impossible terms.
  • GraphHopper: The last I looked, they had good routing, but really bad turn-by-turn directions. Will need to recheck this.

So, there might be need to set up a server, but no hurry while MapQuest Open works. And, of course for the current user base who install their own phone OS, running OSM Scout isn't unreasonable either, even though I prefer the ease of online.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:
Testing on Saera (which still has an optional GraphHopper backend) the directions are still awful - the directions on the route I tested were basically "Head north", "Continue", "Continue", "Continue", "Continue", "Turn left on X street" - where the Continue's should have been interpreted as "Take the ramp onto the interstate", "Merge onto the interstate", "Take exit Y", and "Merge onto Z street".

Edit: Also might want to add Google (impossible terms) and Bing (impossible terms) to that list.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mittelfranken, Germany
does openrouteservice.org provide an API or is it already listed here?

The Following User Says Thank You to Amboss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Amboss View Post
I hadn't noticed, seems like they might have turn-by-turn directions, even though they are not displayed on their web demo. I'll look into it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Amboss View Post
Thanks for that, was looking for a free geocoding service and you've just linked one

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post: