Notices

Tired of the built-in busybox shell?

I've made a package of bash 3.2. Unlike other instances of bash floating around, this one is compatible with busybox and can be used as the default shell without sending your tablet into an infinite reboot cycle.

To make bash the default, edit /etc/passwd and replace /bin/sh with /bin/bash for users 'user' and 'root'. I have not yet felt adventurous enough to symlink /bin/sh to /bin/bash.

Download bash3 at http://nitapps.com

Note: install at your risk. Making bash the default shell may break your tablet, requiring a reflash. It works on my N810 with OS2008, but that's only a sample size of one.

Last edited by ag2; 2008-02-09 at 11:25.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ag2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by ag2 View Post
.I have not yet felt adventurous enough to symlink /bin/sh to /bin/bash.
In theory this may cause longer boot time, less available RAM after system boots and even some breakage of badly written (boot or other) shell scripts already present on the device. But still might be interesting experiment. Let us know if you try it. I am curious if those effects on ram and boot time are significant (if the device boots fine at all).

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Toronto, Hong Kong
:::

Any Screen Shot........??

Originally Posted by Talon88 View Post

Any Screen Shot........??

Here you go:

$

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ag2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Toronto, Hong Kong
::::

Woo......... Cool.....!

i think that was photoshopped :-)

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
Originally Posted by ag2 View Post
Here you go:

$
This message is why bosses hate people reading the web during a meeting, THANKS! [seriously]
@fanoush, if start times are a concern leaving roots shell as sh should be ok. Linux can handle the split.

Last edited by linuxrebel; 2008-01-09 at 09:51.

Great! This is just what I need, thanks a lot!

Yeah... deleting /bin/sh and /bin/ash after I put bash in there was a nice way of requiring a reflash...

Can't say I wasn't warned

Originally Posted by /*Eddie*/ View Post
Yeah... deleting /bin/sh and /bin/ash after I put bash in there was a nice way of requiring a reflash...

Can't say I wasn't warned
/bin/sh is needed by startup scripts. Deleting it will definitely break your tablet.

To make bash the default shell, edit /etc/passwd and replace /bin/sh by /bin/bash for users 'user' and 'root'.

If you want to go a step farther, symlink /bin/sh and /bin/ash to /bin/bash. This may or may not break your tablet, I haven't tried this yet.