Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
The only possible way to organize it would be to find a place like http://www.cafepress.com/ that ships worldwide. (In fact, cafepress.com does ship worldwide, I just don't know if there are better alternatives.) Then we'd have to agree on somebody the community trusts to handle the financial aspect - which probably only means "run the account on cafepress.com/wherever under your own name and take the money to the summit".
I just don't want to see anyone, be it the council or a select individual, who winds up holding that fabulous T-shirt income (yes, all $62.58 of it) become the target of accusations of misappropriation. Maintaining sufficient open records to assure transparency may not be worth the pizza.

Two possibilities do occur to me:
  1. Having looked into CafePress for the first time, I see they have a "base price" (their take) and allow the storefront owner to set prices per item above that, determining profit. Can profit be set at zero, with item pricing equal to the base price? If so, that could be a solution. The Help section at CafePress offers a link to their base price list, so at any time, anyone could confirm the maemo.org store wasn't lining the pockets of anyone but CafePress.
  2. If a CafePress-like alternative that allows for sending profits directly to charity were found, we could use that. Direct the money toward the Linux Foundation or EFF or what-have-you and call it a day. I don't know that such place exists though.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Another option is Zazzle. I think they have a charity option here: http://www.zazzle.com/mk/zazzlegiving/donationprocess

Here's a sample shop from Mozilla: http://www.zazzle.com/mozilla

I've used them several times to print shirts (remember my itT shirt at Maemo Summit 2008?) and business cards.

Below the page, they have USA, UK, Canada, and Australia links.

Last edited by Reggie; 2009-09-08 at 03:13.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
I just don't want to see anyone, be it the council or a select individual, who winds up holding that fabulous T-shirt income (yes, all $62.58 of it) become the target of accusations of misappropriation.
You're right. This is a risk i didn't think of. And it will happen eventually.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Two possibilities do occur to me:
  1. Having looked into CafePress for the first time, I see they have a "base price" (their take) and allow the storefront owner to set prices per item above that, determining profit. Can profit be set at zero, with item pricing equal to the base price? If so, that could be a solution. The Help section at CafePress offers a link to their base price list, so at any time, anyone could confirm the maemo.org store wasn't lining the pockets of anyone but CafePress.
  2. If a CafePress-like alternative that allows for sending profits directly to charity were found, we could use that. Direct the money toward the Linux Foundation or EFF or what-have-you and call it a day. I don't know that such place exists though.
Both alternatives are cool.

If it's charity, better not give the money to organisations that have a political/ideological agenda (although personally, I'd love to give it to the FSF). This might cause unnecessary arguments as well. Usually children, animals, hungry and homeless people are a safe bet.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
...I don't want my money going towards food for homeless children or their dogs!

I knew this would happen when I hit [Submit Reply] ...

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 243 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ silicon valley
I overheard that the GSoC folks have maemo t-shirts. Can the general public get their hands on one?

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Philadelphia, PA
I'd also like to know where I can purchase a Maemo shirt

The Following User Says Thank You to IWantToMarryTheN900 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by sarahn View Post
I overheard that the GSoC folks have maemo t-shirts. Can the general public get their hands on one?
humm, not sure if you're referring to myself , but the GSoC students didn't got any Maemo t-shirt apart from those that attended the Maemo Summit.

The Following User Says Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Why can't we have Maemo merchandise for general public too?
T-Shirt, Coffee Mug, Water Bottle, USB Drives, Caps, Stickers, etc...

I vote for a Maemo Merchandise shop apart from an app shop too!!

EDIT: Added this in brainstorm!! Provided 1. Community can do this and 2. Nokia can do this as solutions.
https://maemo.org/community/brainsto...chandise_store

Last edited by vkv.raju; 2009-10-26 at 07:07.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
My Maemo shirt from GUADEC 2005 still shows the very old Maemo logo version. A merchandising shop for getting an update would be a good thing.
But, OTOH, I was Maemo when Maemo and its logo were not cool.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I'd buy a maemo T shirt. if only to enjoy the looks of mystification it would get. Though my experience of these things is that they come in the sorts of sizes suitable only for use as a nightshirt.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post: