Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
See this thread:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mot...our-droid.html

Let me get this out of the way...I'm not getting an iphone(carrier issues), and Palm os is pretty much ceasing to exist, so I'm not a fanboy of any sort. I need a new smartphone, which will require me to get comfortable with a new os. Right now, I'm pretty objective.

I've had my Droid for 2 weeks today. No need to go over all of the issues (most of which come from being an early adopter of this phone) like echo, email, camera,bla bla bla. Motorola says that most of the issues will be addressed Dec 11-ish with an os update. That is just a few days after the deadline for returning my phone.

Android seems like a great os, and the Droid has the best screen I've seen on any phone (which is how I can justify the size of the phone). Having said that, do I really want to keep this thing beyond the 30 day return period? Is it worth the gamble that the os update will 'fix' a substantial portion of the bugs? Would this even be an issue if the phone didn't have such a FINE screen?

I'm really at a loss as to what to do.
The N900 might not be perfect, but no other comparable product is either. I just wanted to add some perspective to all those who are complaining here.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to MountainX For This Useful Post:
Of course we know (hopefully) that no product is perfect out of the gate. Even the iPhone has its fair share of problems out of the gate, and even now.

It's more issues that you have to wonder if they caught.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Classic Bathtub Curve reliability, some laws of physics cannot be avoided.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
I decided to read the entire thread. My favorite comment was "Sometimes i love it and other times I want to toss it out the car window."

But there was one thing that stunned me. Amidst the eleven pages of complaints and fanboy raves, there was exactly ONE post that attacked the OP for complaining (and three that objected to the attacker). Even a poster with good words to say about the iPhone wasn't attacked.

We should try to maintain that level of respect on maemo.org.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by davep1 View Post
i decided to read the entire thread. My favorite comment was "sometimes i love it and other times i want to toss it out the car window."

but there was one thing that stunned me. Amidst the eleven pages of complaints and fanboy raves, there was exactly one post that attacked the op for complaining (and three that objected to the attacker). Even a poster with good words to say about the iphone wasn't attacked.

We should try to maintain that level of respect on maemo.org.
wtf omg did you say iphone?!

Guys!! He said iphone!!

Get a rope....

edit: ok, this site strips/autoformats all caps. *sigh* Sarcasm defeated by clever scripting.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to phreck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by phreck View Post
edit: ok, this site strips/autoformats all caps. *sigh* Sarcasm defeated by clever scripting.
As any reporter can tell you, all editors, automated or otherwise, are the enemy of sarcasm (and god forbid you should try irony).

A Tale of Two Cities (Inernet version):

, .

Last edited by DaveP1; 2009-11-27 at 05:36.

And here is the long list of bug fixes coming to the Droid.

http://phandroid.com/2009/11/09/moto...december-11th/

The Grass really does only seem greener on the other side.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 61 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Kassel, Germany
but i am pretty amazed by the speed of the update - was it released somewhere say 6th Nov? that means within the next 40 days the people have been working on an update? that is pretty fast in my point of view. When would be the next possible Maemo 5 update announced/planned?

I have faith in the maemo philosophy - open source, and good feedback/bug report system which developer/contributors can systematically update important features or fix bugs. No other closed system would be able to beat this - look at the fruity or the big M company.

Wonder if the Android side has also similar philosophy...

The Droid worked fine for me, well, the (2) that I had in the (2) weeks that I had them. My only problem, after installing 3rd party email client and Task scheduler, was with reception (native email client is buggy and lacking). Phone was stable, web browsing was speedy, and with the help of the "Market", it suited my needs as far as features and "fun factor".

People like to rag AT&T, but in my town, in the Balt/DC corridor, I have no issues with reception on my Motorola Q...and up and down the east coast for that matter. iPhone reception issues are due to "the phone". The same could be said for the DROID, which dropped connection if (4) different spots around town, had intermittent signal loss while at my house, and struggled to keep "1 bar" at my mom's house 2 miles away. We both live less than (2) miles from (2) different Verizon stores.

That said, I think that "out of the box", the n900 has more to offer. In the (2) days that I had it (USB port detached from cirucuit board), once I loaded my email accounts, and configured WiFi, etc, I had a feeling of, "that's it"? It suited my needs, but there was no "fun factor" to it...it just gets the job done. The Droid has much more mass appeal, especially with the "search/Google" integration (et. al.). I think much of the complaining about the Droid however can be attributed to "user not reading manual, understanding how to navigate the interface, and using the Market to resolve the phone's deficiencies."

I think both phones suffer from lack of engineers/designers sitting with focus groups, though I'm sure that stems from management setting difficult target dates.

My opinions are that I think an iPhone is useless (to me, of course) without Jailbreaking it. Even Jailbroken it has some annoying limitations (especially in the multi-task arena), and you still paid and supported a company that would just as soon steal your iPhone back for you daring to even tinker with their configuration (if it were legal) as they would offer any kind of help or support.

Android was decent when I first got it. Pre-cupcake was a bit of an annoyance because it didn't have auto-rotate, no on screen keyboard option (relied on hardware only), and had several other glitches that were a bit off. After the update around when the myTouch was released, the cupcake version came out and fixed a lot of problems. After that it was OK. I then rooted the device and so far it's been an excellent phone while rooted giving me capabilities beyond what I thought it could. I still get annoyed at how it handles multi-tasking, and the limit of 6 apps at once. I don't mind paying google for the phone since google obviously doesn't care if I root it, as evidence by the fact that rooted-phone only apps are in the official google market. (Although, google did get a bit sandy over *what* was in the rooted ROM's.)

I am, unfortunately, supporting T-Mobile by buying the phone subsidized, and my understanding was T-mobile (carriers) are the ones bastardizing Android. Unfortunately this is an arena where we have no choice.

However, even rooted - the Android does not offer me the wealth of options that my N810 did, and what I'm quite positive the N900 would offer someone like me. I know there are significantly less apps on the N900.. and it's quite obvious it has glitches if anyone takes 10 minutes to read this forum... but despite that - we, as a community, have the ability to implement our own versions of fixes due to the *completely* open nature of the device - and this is what's key to me.

So like has been said millions of times... there is different phones for different peoples needs. I personally work my hardest to support only companies that believe in Freedom of people to use the devices they buy how they choose to.

I think people do need to complain about things that they don't like about whatever phone they have, and they need to be able to do so without getting flamed or attacked by fanboism (I've noticed a significant growth in Nokia zealots since I was last here.) - but they also need to keep in mind that, while the iPhone/Droid/WinMo phones does XYZ better than the N900... the N900 is getting better. However, they also need to understand that some things may *never* come to the N900, or at least not in anything resembling a short time, and if doing XYZ is their absolute only reason for using a phone then they are likely to be better off with something else. We, as a community, also need to understand this and stop harassing people for their choice in phone because it does do XYZ better for them *right now*.

(course, this logic applies to any device, and any community. Yes, the grass is greener everywhere you're not - but either accept that people are either fertilizing your area, and be patient - or they aren't, and you should probably go somewhere else. Pissing and moaning in a non-constructive way is neither helpful, or mature.)

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post: