Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
i also once sold my N900 to buy a fancy Android phone to enjoy multi-core processors but believe me after using Android for about 4 months i bought a N900 again.

Android phones have nice hardware but Android itself is just not for me. you can't even do N900 like multi-tasking on a multi-core cpu and with 1 gig of ram. apps and games restart again if you put them in background and have plans to resume them later at the same place you paused them.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Oh yeah? That's all well known! But way less intrusive than camera apps often freezing after 2nd image taken, alarms not sounding, and the likes.

Stop giving the OP silly replies like "just do a reflash" - it's his decision, it was already taken, and i assume he knows how to flash if he wants.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
You'll be back
Listen to Hellasisgreece. He's right, I know that

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zifis View Post
[...]

Although she is still in perfect condition, she has lately been very laggy and irresponsive and in dire need of reflashing... so I removed the sim for the first time in all 3.5 years

[...]
one BIG factor that slows down the N900 after a few months / a year or two is the message database in
Code:
/home/user/.rtcom-eventlogger/el-vi.db
use dbbrowser or simply
Code:
sqlite3
to query it
obviously, it might be a good idea to do a backup with
Code:
~ $ root
Nokia-N900:~# cd /home/user/.rtcom-eventlogger
Nokia-N900:/home/user/.rtcom-eventlogger# cp el-vi.db el-vi.db.bkp
also you may want to be OFF-line while editing ev-vi.db
el-vi.db is also part of the standard Maemo backup in "Communication and Calendar"

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
one BIG factor that slows down the N900 after a few months / a year or two is the message database in
Code:
/home/user/.rtcom-eventlogger/el-vi.db
use dbbrowser or simply
Code:
sqlite3
to query it
obviously, it might be a good idea to do a backup with
Code:
~ $ root
Nokia-N900:~# cd /home/user/.rtcom-eventlogger
Nokia-N900:/home/user/.rtcom-eventlogger# cp el-vi.db el-vi.db.bkp
also you may want to be OFF-line while editing ev-vi.db
el-vi.db is also part of the standard Maemo backup in "Communication and Calendar"
How exactly to you go about trimming the message database? Could you provide some detail instruction(or a link)?

The Following User Says Thank You to cheve For This Useful Post:
What misterc says.

The N900 is a mobile computer first and foremost. Phone call functions were an afterthought. It's bound to get clogged with temporary files, browsing history and message data.

Windows does the same, so we have CCleaner to clear all the left over junk that gets left behind after a day of surfing, gaming and whatever else we do. But because we don't have CCleaner for Maemo we have CleaN900 and Swappolube which go a long way to keeping things running well.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
Originally Posted by geekgirl74 View Post
Hahaha, i saw that you too were back in the forum. Believe me, there's a thing in the N900, when you taste it once, you can't abandon it.

I used The N900 also during almost two years, and i sold it in January 2012 to acquire a Galaxy Nexus. TBH, (I thought) the N900 was lacking applications like in Android and iOS.
But after one Year, using Android (i did never use it the way i used my N900, i mean, tweaking it, playing with xTerm, participating on Android Forum like i did with TMO), i'm missing maemo 5. Last week, i logged here and bought another N900. Delivering is still on it's way, but I'm excited as I was, when i bought my first N900 in Jan 2010.

One advice: Don't sell you N900, keep it as close as you can, it can always do things recent flagships can't.

Last edited by Boemien; 2013-04-11 at 00:56.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:
Posts: 308 | Thanked: 729 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Athens, Greece
I am not selling her! Why would you say that... that's just mean!

:P

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zifis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cheve View Post
How exactly to you go about trimming the message database? Could you provide some detail instruction(or a link)?
You could do it with SQL editing the database itself, but that is rather complicated if you have never done anything like that before (If the instructions and code sections in this post look foreign it might be a good idea to brush up on SQL before trying to thin out your messages using it).

By far the easiest is the method I've found is outlined here. Use Glogarchive to keep an archive if you later want access to any of your messages, if not skip that part. But either way, renaming the database essentially clears the messages and you get to start all fresh.

The Following User Says Thank You to computerinfo21 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Originally Posted by geekgirl74 View Post
I tried to do the same thing 3 or 4 times (I'm an average user though, not a developer).

Thing is I couldn't last a week without using the N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post: