Notices

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ CT USA
good job awsome works great
update does not work just sits there

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Germany - Northern Bavaria
Hello Manzn...me again.
I just updated to Version 0.4. of mymenu.
I got also a error:

Preparing to replace mymenu 0.2.20100101 (using mymenu-0.4.20100103_armel.deb) ...
update.desktop cleaned
Stopping hildon-desktop
Starting hilden-desktop
dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
rm: cannot remove '/var/lib/dpkg/info/mymenu*': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing mymenu-0.4.20100103_armel.deb (--install):
subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
mymenu-0.4.20100103_armel.deb

I hope I could help you.
Good luck.

Dosenblech

Ähmm....sorry me again.... -
after a restart a have the old settings with "Mehr..." ?!

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Let me ask again which mechanisms are used to determine the folder an application goes to? Is it hard-wired? Does it try to read Category-information from the desktop-file? ...?

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
@dosenblech - thx for your info - v0.4 upgraded for your error - this problem is fixed - not the update :-(

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
@benny1967

at the moment it is hardcoded in the hilden.menu under /etc/xdg/menus - there are no Category-Infos in the .desktop files at this moment - mayby in the future

@dosenblech pls download v.04 again and install it - this was the uninstallscript

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by manzn View Post
@benny1967

at the moment it is hardcoded in the hilden.menu under /etc/xdg/menus - there are no Category-Infos in the .desktop files at this moment - mayby in the future

This is certainly a chicken-egg problem. No developer will ever put Categories in his .desktop-files if they go unused on the N900.

But if only one applications/launcher such as yours starts using them... You could start a revolution.

Anyway, once you allow users to move around applications, you need a place to store the current location of the app. The .desktop file is a good place for this... So why not write to the .desktop file in case it doesn't already include a category (or in case the category needs to be changed) and then always read from the .desktop file when you have to determine where to put an application?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
@manzn
okay - it's back again!
The show can go on.....

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
This is certainly a chicken-egg problem. No developer will ever put Categories in his .desktop-files if they go unused on the N900.

But if only one applications/launcher such as yours starts using them... You could start a revolution.
Adding proper category support is in line with Maemo's goal of better Mainstream Linux Alignment.

For the list of proper categories (Appendix A of the Menu Spec) and the format of .desktop files, see Desktop Entry Spec and the Desktop Menu Spec. It's better to use this proven (and widely-supported) category system than to invent a new one, and applications ported from the Linux Desktop most likely already have a proper category entry.

Oh, and as some other people have already pointed out, please gettextize your program and publish the source and ideally link the source repo to Transifex, so community members from all over the world can start submitting translations for your application Publishing the source is really more helpful than you might think.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,154 | Thanked: 2,186 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki, Finland
Just two words: GREAT APP!

80's style stadium rock is back - FIRENOTE
Hi-Octane heavy metal - FORCE MAJEURE