Posts: 176 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California
This "bug" just happened to mine too. I had left the 770 unattended for a few months and when I finally picked it up again it started doing this. I now have "trouble" at times connecting to my AP's at home and at work. Nothing has changed in either of them, same routers, etc... Someone also mentioned "power problem." My 770 doesn't last as long in stand by these days, nowhere near 24 hours. Maybe that's related, I don't know.

Exactly the same problem as described here. I too had left it mostly alone for some months, only occasionally using it and not at home. It always worked fine, but at home, where it used to work with no problem, now it is quite difficult to get a connection. This is with the two versions I have installed, sorry it was so long ago I forget what is on there. I have not installed the wifi bugfix and am downloading the latest full OS that fixes that.

EDIT1: After posting the above I flashed 2008HE onto my 770 and have the same problem. Later today I'll add the MMC boot and also try at a location I know worked just a week or two ago. But I'm becoming convinced it's a problem with -n wifi signals. That seems to be the common factor with my setup and others'.

EDIT2: It connects perfectly in the location that doesn't have any -n wifi routers around.

Last edited by buggsy2; 2008-10-29 at 17:44.

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2008 @ London, UK
I've had similar issues.

You might want to see https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2082

Seems that it can get swamped by either presence of too many APs, or 802.11n.

I've repeatedly been able to get around the issue using the "body shielding" approach - while reasonably close to my AP, I hold the N770 tight in to my body, draw my legs up and basically shield it as much as possible. Then search for connections, it finds mine, and it connects fine.

Once it is connected it behaves itself fine.

You could also try the "stainless steel mixing bowl" approach reported in bug #2082.

Shielding is not a solution I can do reliably, since the n router is very close to my place so the signal is very strong.

I have given up and use bluetooth pan for internet. That's not perfect as I couldn't get Os2008he bt to use pan.

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2008 @ London, UK
You only need to shield while you are initially searching for a connection and then connecting, once connected you don't need to shield it any more.

Of course, this is at the end of the Maemo bug list thread:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Comment #23 from Kalle Valo (Nokia) 2008-11-04 18:03:22 GMT+3 [reply]

(In reply to comment #20)
> @Kalle, can you take a look at this and whether you have any ideas?
> It's about the 770, but we've got a great syslog and lots of people running
> into this.

Sorry, no time for 770 anymore. Fremantle is keeping me very busy.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hmmmm...

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
This basically killed me from using my 770 and now it just sits on the shelf. Stupid bug!

Originally Posted by penthes View Post
You only need to shield while you are initially searching for a connection and then connecting, once connected you don't need to shield it any more.
I know what you talk about, but when the source of bad signals is so close, it's difficult to shield the bad signals from the good. My wife is a baker and I have tried every mixing bowls we have, and none of them work well. It's simply not a practical solution for me.

I swear I will not buy another Nokia from now on.

I experienced the same problem a few days ago.
I finally able to resolve it, but you need router admin access to do this.

Originally my router was configured to accept both 802.11 b, g, and n. It was also fixed to channel "6". My router is DLink DIR-615. Soon after I changed its configuration to only accept 802.11g (no "b" and "n") and activated "search for the best channel", I finally able to connect to my WLAN.

I think it's confused with its surrounding wireless network type, especially with 802.11n type.

Hope it's help.

I am a little confused about what you said, a router is used to send out wifi signal, not to accept signal. right? What do you mean, search best channel, change to accept only g? Are you talking about your laptop or your IT?

Last edited by racky; 2008-11-14 at 07:29.