Posts: 158 | Thanked: 340 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
Hi this is my first post on this forum.
I currently have a nokia e90 communicator and i like it, but i am thinking to upgrade to n900. Before i do that i would like to ask some tehnical questions:
1-Is it possible to have multiple operating systems to boot from? (i would like to have meego,android,ubuntu all three there to choose from)
2-is meego working usable on n900?
3-is usb host possibe?(i would go for it even if i have to modify the phone's hardware)
4-if i overclock the cpu, are there big chances to damage the phone?
5-what is the maximum frequency that the cpu can be overclocked to?

Sorry if i posted this in the wrong section, but i am a newbie

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ York, Pa., USA
Hi, welcome... I want to be the first person to say this to you politely, because I was in your shoes a couple of months ago.

Try searching for your answer before you post.

As for getting the n900, if there is another phone out there that can do everything you asked I would still get the N900, best device I ever had.

CHEERS!

Last edited by lorul2; 2010-11-01 at 18:51. Reason: spelling

Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
1-Is it possible to have multiple operating systems to boot from? (i would like to have meego,android,ubuntu all three there to choose from)
Yes, to some degree. It isn't an easily installable package (except for maybe Nitdroid) but it's certainly possible.

2-is meego working usable on n900?
It works and is "usable" depending on your goals. If you mean daily use as a phone, look for MeeGo 1.2 this April.

3-is usb host possibe?(i would go for it even if i have to modify the phone's hardware)
Yes, but there are a number of road blocks that have hampered progress.

Not immediately. In time, yes.

5-what is the maximum frequency that the cpu can be overclocked to?
Depends on how lucky you are. Some people can barely get past 800MHz, others have gone 1.2GHz. I recommend not overclocking.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post

That is incorrect.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
That is incorrect.
Well then by all means expand on why I am wrong. Don't just go and state "You Are Wrong" and leave it at that.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
I have been overclocking at 250/850 and undervolting for about 6 months... It works absolutely fine.

Of course there's a risk, but you are indeed incorrect!

Posts: 158 | Thanked: 340 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
Thank you for your fast answers guys.
What could happen in time?
And another question: if i boot ubuntu, can i install wine and run some windows applications with it?

I've been overclocking my Dell Axim X50v for 4 years with absolutely no ill-effects.

There is always the possibility of damaging your phone by overclocking but the risk is clearly negligible.

I have not seen any reports of overclocking damaging a phone but welcome posts that suggest otherwise.

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
Thank you for your fast answers guys.

What could happen in time?
And another question: if i boot ubuntu, can i install wine and run some windows applications with it?
You would need a debian packaged version of WINE that's compiled for ARM.

If you find that, let me know.

overclocking MAY damage the cpu ,by overclocking , you increase the frequency and voltage of the cpu , you may increase the frequency only , however it won't be stable , so you would end up increasing voltage also.
increasing the voltage will make the cpu drain higher current and will generate more heat , it is heat that mainly damages the cpu , anyway how hot will the phone get ? not much , using wifi or 3g will generate much much more heat than simply overclocking .

If you use power-kernel there are multiple voltage profiles to choose from , also someone here made a script to automatically change cpu voltage and frequency depending on the cpu temperature .

so the cpu gets damaged over time ?
no one can give you a certain answer.. however , as a fact electronic components have a really long life time (tens of years), if it's going to be reduced , it's no big deal , most probably you won't be using the n900 anymore after 2-3 years from now , that doesn't mean that it will stop working after 3 years , however it will become obsolete by that time , that you will want to replace it .

still, I have to say : do it at your own risk..