Notices

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Teddy has been slashdotted (again?).

http://science.slashdot.org/article....16242&from=rss

I knew this program before, but never became a big fan of it: it doesn't run on the Newton (no Java) and was kinda hinky on my old Fujitsu.

Nevertheless, the concept is IMO awesome; just check out the video. It also fits nicely in the kinds of programs the 770 should run. Could anyone who is testing the Java for 770 test if it runs on our tablet?

Get me a jar and I'll try it...all I found was the paper.

Very impressive demo ! Ergonomically a very good match for the 770, yes. The question being the horsepower it needs to do its magic -- is it compatible with a comfortable usage on the tablet ?...

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by fpp
Very impressive demo ! Ergonomically a very good match for the 770, yes. The question being the horsepower it needs to do its magic -- is it compatible with a comfortable usage on the tablet ?...
I have used it successfully on a PIII 400MHz with 192 mb RAM.

I haven't installed Java on my 770 yet (too afraid to), but maybe one of those brave souls that went ahead and did the deed might try it out.

If it turns out to be too slow, there's always the possibility of using the wireframe renderer, which should be a lot friendlier for resources.

aleksandyr is on it, I guess we'll soon know :-)

how will you turn the object on 770?
on the pc it is done with right mouse. but on 770 you only have the stylus??

on pc (with mouse) it is not so much fun. but on 770 with stylus i imagine it beeing really cool!
just think of the wow effect when you show this to your frinds

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
If the source is available, modify it so pressing and holding a button does it.

Alternatively, modify the JVM for the 770 so that pressing a particular hardware button makes the stylus right-click rather than left.

ok. i guess code is not available. but im not sure.
but if the second trick works, that should be allright.

but first we have to know if it works at all on 770.

Originally Posted by fpp
aleksandyr is on it, I guess we'll soon know :-)
Works, for what it's worth, although the screen refresh issues prevent me from getting a screenshot. (If you cover up part of the screen with, say, the screenshot plugin dropdown, the GTK peer will not redraw the area. Known issue with the 770.)

I'm waiting to see what happens with Mika before I invest more time in Java. For now, my project is RoadNav.