Active Topics

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Ljubljana, Slovenia
Originally Posted by pali View Post
@sponka: flash, but only kernel.
Thanks! (and fingers crossed )

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@Pali,

I was thinking about which possibilities U-boot allows to boot kernels which are not locally stored.

AFAIK U-boot doesn't support WLAN networks so tftpboot is out of the question (but would be seriously cool .

Apparently U-boot can use USB mass storage, which would be half as cool, but still very interesting (http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index....ot#USB_Storage).

Obviously this requires host-mode on the N900s side (the PC/stick would contain the kernel to fatload).

Is this supported at all in N900's U-boot, or can you add support for this?

Having host-mode would also allow for USB-Ethernet adapters, and hence tftp, dhcp, nfs, etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
@reinob: U-Boot musb driver is totally broken. It some older version of u-boot it was possible to establish tty serial console, but after some time of usage it did something with n900 HW and after booting linux kernel it crashed. Full reset (removing battery) was needed. But I remember that I was able to use u-boot console via usb from PC. And I think that u-boot can use serial console also for loading kernels... But new musb driver which is in last u-boot now totally not working. And forgot for usb host mode. Only in linux kernel it is semi-possible (with helper userspace applicaion). Only thing which could be possible is to fix new musb driver for serial console tty support.

The Following User Says Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@pali,

Thanks. I'm not sure it would be worth the effort, but some kind of serial-over-USB console might come in handy when un-bricking (if only for the convenience of a real keyboard). Plus sending over a kernel (or initrd) via serial (xmodem, zmodem, kermit? might also save the day, some day .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 676 | Thanked: 1,067 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Kyiv, Ukraine
Can we disable -omap option creation for -thumb installations? It doesn't boot anyway.

Update:
--no-attach option commit:
https://gitorious.org/u-boot-shr/u-b...0e684eeb2a7363

Question at -thumb thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...86#post1374686

Update 2:
Code:
$ dpkg -s apt | grep Version | grep thumb
?

Last edited by int_ua; 2013-09-16 at 23:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to int_ua For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by int_ua View Post
Can we disable -omap option creation for -thumb installations? It doesn't boot anyway.
I do not want to disable it by default, because bootmenu and backupmenu working fine (because it not using thumb binaries)

The Following User Says Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
pls help, i installed (with FAM): u-boot with kernel 2.6.28-omap1; linux kernel for power user v52; linux kernel for power user boot image for u-boot; linux kernel for power user settings and overclock. then i typed in xterm: u-boot-update-bootmenu. rebooted and u-boot came up but didnt boot into OS. please what do i do?

pls someone should help, its my first time here, i guess this issue has been addressed before, but i've read tons of post here to no avail, i just want a step by step guide on how to make kernel power v52 work with u-boot. and nitdroid. thanks in advance.

The Following User Says Thank You to frank umoren For This Useful Post:
Install kp52 first and after u-boot .both of them from fam
close fam
open x-term :
root
apt-get update
apt-get install kernel-power-bootimg
u-boot-update bootmenu
shut down phone
slide keyboard
chose kernel power 52 and press enter
CSSU-T latest version

Last edited by Alecsandru; 2013-09-28 at 08:18.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alecsandru For This Useful Post:
Posts: 131 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Indonesia
I Installed NITDroid ics 4.0.4 with u-boot, but i can not find NITDroid menu in u-boot, can someone help me :|

Tags
bootmenu, u-boot