Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
This proposal got 1 thanks and 1 positive comment but no feedback from the guys discussing about what is official and where is Nokia Maps. Not enough to make a decision and not so little to drop the idea.

Please comment.
Yes to app categories (Internet, multimedia, etc.)

One thing not being discussed is that many apps are in development, undocumented, or otherwise not appropriate for casual users. Perhaps this is more important in practice than the "official" distinction, although somewhat overlapping.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I think just one big apps forum is needed, which will contain both Maemo SW apps and other apps. I don't think we need subcategories, unless one or two categories overwhelm the apps forum.

Here are a few more changes as per Quim:
  • merged Official and 3rd party apps to a single 'Applications' forum. Main category renamed to 'Software'
  • renamed 'Canola' to 'Multimedia'. Canola threads prefixed with '[Canola]'.
  • renamed 'Gaming' as 'Games'

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Alright, based on bug 4476 we may want to discuss the naming of the maemo.org forum and the Talk section.

I'm thinking we could safely rename maemo.org to "Website", but I'm not sure about Talk.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Hey, I was just getting used to the Talk > Talk > pipe...

Even better is maemo.org > Talk > Talk > maemo.org (see this thread's header). It's complete. Circular. Self-referential. Break that and I'm sure monkeys will fly out of someone's butt...

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-05-06 at 17:54.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
How about maemo.org > Talk > Shooting the Sh*t > maemo.org

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Mableton, GA USA
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Is the 'Upgrading' forum worth keeping? It seems ill-defined.

And is Palm OS really deserving of a full forum in 'alternatives'? Garnet VM itself could just be discussed in 3rd party Apps, and Palm OS-specific stuff could be on a different site. (By the way, I love Palm OS, so please don't think I'm dissing it!)
The Garnet VM poses a number of specific issues (e.g., how to make backups) that a normal Palm OS forum isn't really used to seeing, and that are really quite specific to the implementation we have on the Nokia tablets.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
The Garnet VM poses a number of specific issues (e.g., how to make backups) that a normal Palm OS forum isn't really used to seeing, and that are really quite specific to the implementation we have on the Nokia tablets.
Thus, this:

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Garnet VM itself could just be discussed in 3rd party Apps

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Having just gone through the Alternatives forum tagging hundreds of threads, I can tell you that the Garnet VM is one of the most deserving alternatives for a subforum.

Take a look at this list. These are just the threads that I've tagged so far. There's several dozen I haven't gotten to yet.

Looking at the tag cloud really shows that our work in Alternatives is paying off. Look at the size of the alternative tags (like kde, mer, garnet, debian, deblet, android, etc) compared to tags you would expect to be bigger (like n800, maemo, microb, etc).

Last edited by qole; 2009-05-14 at 17:43.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
qole: Very interesting list. I had no idea there were that many, even though I follow all the GVM stuff. And almost every thread topic is very specific, focused on a real issue. That tells me that those using GVM on NIT are quite keen (and as rcsteiner also said, GVM issues are of a different nature than native PalmOS issues).

Tags
forum, maemo.org