Active Topics

Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
I've only had my N800 for a little over a week but one thing that often bothers me is waking the screen after it has gone dark/blank. I realize I could increase the brightness/switch-off timeouts (I currently have it at 2 minutes for both), but the real question is....

What is the best way to wake the screen?

For awhile I was waving my stylus across the screen to wake it, but sometimes that had unexpected consequences in whatever app was running.

So then I started looking for button-presses that would have the least consequences in the running apps, and (hopefully) not need to be "undone" after the screen wakes up. I haven't really come up with a good solution for a single button-press.

For now I have settled on pressing the Home button twice in quick succession.... but is there a better way??

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
I tap the extreme right edge of the screen, usually even further right than the scroll bar. It should do nothing.

Or I tap the middle of the screen.

You could probably hit the menu key, too.

I usually press the 'down' dpad button. In several applications it looks like it will only activate the screen (withouth doing its normal with-active-screen action), if you press it while the screen is off. YMMW, of course.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm on a 770 here, but I just reach out like I'm going to backhand the tablet and just lightly tap it anywhere with the nail of my pinky finger. I think when the screen goes into sleep / darkened mode, only the 'wake click' is registered, IE it won't interact with any of the applications running.

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Norway / Tromsų
I have the n800 to automaticly lock the screen after 2 min so then I just press the powerbutton + square to wake it. But then again I am carrying it in my beltpocket when I don't use it.
--

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ south germany
Hi,
my screen is always on when I have plugged in the power-cable: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...hlight=dimming

When I'm on battery, I switch by hand in "lock screen and keys" and back again, when I need it.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
I press the home button twice.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
I like to eat the peanut butter first!

I'm a fan of the home button to wake the screen. I also have the device lock set to kick in after a few minutes. It would be nice to be able to use the thumbboard to enter the unlock code. . . but that's another thread.

I tap the screen with my finger or the stylus.