Hi all.

This maybe should be in the sticky around the charge port, but it's a bit different and I'm after some tech support to argue my case...

Unfortunately, my N900 got a pint spilt over it a year ago so I had to send it in for an out of warranty repair. It was in independent place and it was fixed up just fine.

When my usb port went, obviously the warranty was gone so I sent it to a repair place I'd used before. The phone came and the usb port is now fine. They did however say that I'd ripped the port off the motherboard and so needed to do something more than soldering to mobo (retracking it or something).

Anyway, I charged it up and all seemed fine until I went outdoors. Suddenly, I had no signal and no network connection. Since then, I can get no connection to o2 in my house and when out and about I jump from low signal to no signal in a flash. Sometimes I can stay connected (in central London) but sometimes I get nothing and can't connect up.

I told the phone shop and sent it back. They didn't tell me what they did but said it was fixed. It's back and it's exactly the same. when connected, everything is fine, but the phone isn't really usable. It's not the area I'm in as it's fine on my spare phone with the same network. Tried a friend's simcard on the same network and same issue. Another network sim seemed better in the house though.

My question is: Which part of the phone is likely broken, is that near the usb port inside and can anyone think of a way to test the issue. I want to go back to the shop and explain the issue in more detail but it's hard when I don't know about the insides of the phone. It feels like the modem(?) just isn't getting enough power anymore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

stayloa

Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:
Wow... who knew that squeezing my phone could fix this! Thanks for the link... I had searched everything I could think of but was typing in 'network connection' and 'modem' etc etc. I'm a very happy chap now. I almost bought an s2 out of desperation earlier! lol

It is EXTREMELY easy to strip the screws on the soft alloy chassis of the n900. Perhaps your repair shop were afraid to tighten them too hard?

It turns out that the plastic that the screw goes in to to push it against the pins underneath had snapped. No idea when this happened, but there are also missing screws. I've got some replacement screws and a replacement housing set off ebay (fake I'm sure, but it has the aerial with it). At present, a piece of blutac underneath the battery cover is doing the job just fine. That post has saved my N900! I've spent about £75 repairing in, but that's cheaper than a new phone and a new contract. Plus, I want to keep my N900! :-)

Thanks to both of you.

Steve