Well, one for one its incomplete for sure and some of the lag etc. in it is not particularly flattering, even if most folks would realize its not representative.

Secondly, it could well be a few months old and not what exactly what its like anymore.

Incidentally, a guy on thenokiablog comments claims a guy he knows (yeah I know..) works on the N9 and says the current UI is "much nicer".

Btw, also heard from a guy that talked to someone in Nokia (yeah, double "yeah I know..." ) that the N9 announcement in Nokia World was postponed "so as to not steal N8's thunder"... uncharacteristically I will no say: WTF!!!! I hope that not true as it would be one of the stupidest moves among many Nokia has made.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Viipottaja For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Viipottaja View Post
Well, one for one its incomplete for sure and some of the lag etc. in it is not particularly flattering, even if most folks would realize its not representative.

Secondly, it could well be a few months old and not what exactly what its like anymore.

Incidentally, a guy on thenokiablog comments claims a guy he knows (yeah I know..) works on the N9 and says the current UI is "much nicer".

Even so, this video was garnering a very positive response (look at the comments on engadget) at a time when positive responses in relation to Nokia are in very short supply.

Btw, also heard from a guy that talked to someone in Nokia (yeah, double "yeah I know..." ) that the N9 announcement in Nokia World was postponed "so as to not steal N8's thunder"... uncharacteristically I will no say: WTF!!!! I hope that not true as it would be one of the stupidest moves among many Nokia has made.
Have to disagree - announcing a successor to the N8 (as the N9 would be perceived to be) before the N8 is even launched would be highly counter-productive. Of course the situation would not have arisen in the first place had the N8 not been so delayed. The N9 announcement should happen once the N8 has actually launched.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
They actually did something similar last year, too, with the N900 announcement being shifted to 'make room' for the N97 mini and X6. Though, from what we know, the N9 is not an N8 successor, in fact the N8 and N9 are fairly complementary with plenty of differences, so they shouldn't hurt each other that much... but who knows.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
I don't the announcement delay would lead to release (into shops) delay. So it's not about them being competing products, but about getting maximum media bang and attention.. Even so, I think not announcing at Nokia World would be a mistake. Right now Nokia needs a full on, full side, onslaught of an announcement from the low end (S40 TS) to top end (N9) and in between (services, C7, X7, E Series) to show that they are back in town and that their strategy is on track.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Though, from what we know, the N9 is not an N8 successor, in fact the N8 and N9 are fairly complementary with plenty of differences, so they shouldn't hurt each other that much... but who knows.
That's why I said "perceived" - unless Nokia get their marketing message nailed on, Joe Public will always think the N9 is better than the N8, if for no other reason than 9 is a bigger number than 8. Launching two phones that are in two different ranges (ie. N97 and X6) isn't such a problem but announcing another N-Series phone before the latest and greatest N-Series phone has even arrived in the market place probably would have a negative effect on sales of the latter.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
I don't the announcement delay would lead to release (into shops) delay.
So why announce it and risk diluting the exposure that would otherwise be given to a shipping product (assuming the N8 is launched at NW)?

So it's not about them being competing products, but about getting maximum media bang and attention..
Yeah, just like deleting the video linked in this thread. Media bang and attention - that's what Nokia like (not).

Even so, I think not announcing at Nokia World would be a mistake. Right now Nokia needs a full on, full side, onslaught of an announcement from the low end (S40 TS) to top end (N9) and in between (services, C7, X7, E Series) to show that they are back in town and that their strategy is on track.
And where does the N8 fit in this? Nokia still need to get the message across about the difference between Symbian^3 and Maemo6/MeeGo - most consumers will be confused by the launch of a Symbian^3/N8 and then the announcement of a Maemo6/MeeGo/N9 device. Nokia need to get the N8 out there, hopefully bask in the great reviews and hammer home where the N8 is positioned in it's portfolio (last N-Series Symbian, or not?) then start nailing the Maemo/MeeGo message before announcing the N9 for the very top end.

Announcing the N9 too soon would achieve very little good and potentially do a lot of harm. Although as I've said, this wouldn't be the case if the N8 had shipped on time.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2010-08-04 at 13:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
What if the video was an old build but puposeful leak just to probe for public opinion?

Originally Posted by Odd_gunnic View Post
What if the video was an old build but puposeful leak just to probe for public opinion?
Still pointless removing it - once something is out on the internet it's very difficult to take it back and trying to do so just appears foolish.

There are now multiple copies of the "Meego UI" video available on YouTube (and no doubt elsewhere), so what have Nokia gained by deleting the video other than (temporarily) breaking video links in articles that were giving Nokia some very welcome positive publicity?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
They actually did something similar last year, too, with the N900 announcement being shifted to 'make room' for the N97 mini and X6. Though, from what we know, the N9 is not an N8 successor, in fact the N8 and N9 are fairly complementary with plenty of differences, so they shouldn't hurt each other that much... but who knows.
I don't really understand how can postponing a release be a profitable move any time. It's not like one Nokia product is cannibalizing another -- there are enough competitors outside of Nokia who will take care of eating Nokia's share. I say, once a device is ready, realease it, if you want more bang -- then release all your new phones with a common announcement; what do you care if someone will be so stunned by N9 that they won't notice N8, as long as they're getting a Nokia anyway.

Rant over...

Last edited by Sopwith; 2010-08-04 at 13:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sopwith For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
What I'm wondering, given the video showing the Symbian version of Adobe Reader being installed, does this mean that Meego will run Symbian apps too?

I wouldn't have thought so, but it would be a great thing and would give a good start to apps on it...

Tags
aligatro == df