Notices

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Couple of questions regarding mediaserv.

I have 2 symlinked folders at the top of my mediaserv folder, browsing theorugh them normally works great, but the RSS feeds and video center feeds seem to generate ok, but have no content from the subfolders. works if I drop files into the root of the mediaserv folder. Anybody got any fix?

Also, has anybody hacked it to get the metadata from a mythtv database for videos, the recordings work great, just be the icing on the cake to have the video stuff as well.

Cheers

Gaz

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I hacked it to work with symlinks, but i can't get to my linux box now.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
To work better with symlinks, the following bit of code in getMediaInfo() would need changing:

Code:
    my $type = -d $path        ? 'dir'   :
                 &isMedia($path) ? 'media' : undef;
The readlink() function would be handy to use here.

anyone know how I would go about securing mediaserv. I want to use it for direct access from outside my network but as it stands right now it's totally accessible to anyone browsing to port 8090.
username and password to access it an option or a way to do that through apache?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by blackoper View Post
anyone know how I would go about securing mediaserv. I want to use it for direct access from outside my network but as it stands right now it's totally accessible to anyone browsing to port 8090.
Set up a port trigger? Just obfuscate the port a bit?

I looked through dd-wrt's settings on port forwarding and don't see a way to do it like that.. hmm I guess the best way is to just ssh into the host server and then open the webpage while leaving the port closed on the router.. still there should be a way to password protect things or to very easily add that functionality

well I'm trying to do an ssh forward
I thought the command would be
ssh -L8090:localhost:8090 username@host
I then try to access the port forward through webbrowser:
127.0.0.1:8090
I get the error
channel 2: open failed:connect failed:connection refused
inside the terminal screen that is running the ssh connection. Any ideas what command I should be using. Mediaserv is running on port 8090 on the server I'm connecting to. The port 8090 is not being forwarded by my router.

Last edited by blackoper; 2008-05-27 at 18:45.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
It's on the TODO list, but it should be possible with Apache acting as a forward-proxy using mod_proxy, combined with mod_auth.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/ should help.

thanks I'm going to try this today - I'm at work might as well SSH into the server and do something I guess I'll post configuration when finished

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Hey. I'm trying to get mediaserv working on my gentoo box. Installed dev-perl/XML-RSS, but I still get an error when trying to start mediaserv:

Code:
$ mediaserv            
Can't locate HTTP/Date.pm in @INC
[...snip long list of paths...]
Any idea what I'm missing? TX
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset