Hello all!! If I missed it somehow in my searching, I apologize, but is the 770 able to use cards based on the SD standard (i.e. miniSD and microSD cards)? I've had devices in the past running Linux that could only use MMC, but that was due to the lack of SD drivers, not because of the hardware. So, is there such a hardware limitation for the 770 for it to use only RS-MMC (& not miniSD), or was it a software limitation that has now been resolved due to an updated kernel (allowing for use of miniSD)?

After having the N800 for less than three weeks, I just couldn't pass on woot's deal today.

EDIT: & I wasn't sure if I should put this in the Newbie or 770 forum, but I'm still a newb on ITT & to the ITs, so...

Last edited by Rtalian; 2007-06-25 at 19:10.

The key point is 'rs' [reduced size]. They are the only ones that fit and allow the door to close [which turns on the slot].

Originally Posted by Clay View Post
The key point is 'rs' [reduced size]. They are the only ones that fit and allow the door to close [which turns on the slot].
I was going to clarify that, but I thought maybe I wouldn't need to. I realize the size difference between RS-MMC and SD. I'm asking about miniSD and microSD in the 770. When I referred to the SD standard, I meant it in the sense that miniSD and microSD are essentially smaller SD cards.

Originally Posted by Rtalian View Post
I was going to clarify that, but I thought maybe I wouldn't need to. I realize the size difference between RS-MMC and SD. I'm asking about miniSD and microSD in the 770. When I referred to the SD standard, I meant it in the sense that miniSD and microSD are essentially smaller SD cards.
How would you fit either into a 770? Could you clarify that?

How would you fit either into a 770? Could you clarify that?
Oh, my mistake...I had thought that RS-MMCs were the "MMC equivalent" of miniSDs, like MMC is the same size as SD. I have now seen the light. RS-MMCs are a completely different form factor. It's disappointing, though; I thought it would be more interchangeable...oh well. Thanks for your responses and for pointing out that I didn't realize what I was asking.

They aren't completely different -- when the [included] dummy extender is attached to the back end of the rs card, it becomes the same size as an sd card, allowing it to be inserted and removed in a standard sd reader -- but only in its short form will it fit inside the 770 and allow the door to close. And while I suppose at least a micro sd is small enough to fit inside a half-length 'rs adapter', I don't know of anyone making such an adapter [but I'd be happy to learn otherwise].

They aren't completely different -- when the [included] dummy extender is attached to the back end of the rs card, it becomes the same size as an sd card, allowing it to be inserted and removed in a standard sd reader -- but only in its short form will it fit inside the 770 and allow the door to close. And while I suppose at least a micro sd is small enough to fit inside a half-length 'rs adapter', I don't know of anyone making such an adapter [but I'd be happy to learn otherwise].
Yes, I knew that much before...I just thought that RS-MMC and miniSD were the same form factor, like MMC and SD are.

While I know that the pins on rs mmc and mini/microSD are completly different - what about it working with the rest of the SD card sticking out? Does the door *have* to be closed?

Originally Posted by robbh66 View Post
While I know that the pins on rs mmc and mini/microSD are completly different - what about it working with the rest of the SD card sticking out? Does the door *have* to be closed?
Yes, the door has to be closed -- unless you want to figure out and monkey with whatever hardware [magnetic, optical, mechanical] is used to detect that the little plastic lever/door is swung into the closed position.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by robbh66 View Post
what about it working with the rest of the SD card sticking out? Does the door *have* to be closed?
yes with default kernel, no with custom one and mounting by hand. But it will not work with SD card as it is thicker then MMC and won't fit. Works with 4GB MMCplus card though. could work with SD one in theory if you could made the card thinner somehow