Notices

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I for instance won't buy Pandora... I don't need a gaming system.

An example - why do people buy office/home computers with intel graphics cards (which are neither graphics neither cards that don't run the newest games but still can play on them something casual to lose some time.

Civilization is perfect for on the go.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
SHO: Thanks for the info, actually I didn't know that, or come to grips with it at least, is probably why I keep suggesting in every thread "why don't you do this game do this game, and this game, why arent there more games etc.." But yea thanks, the number is growing though thanks to you port-educated people.

EDIT: I won't buy a Pandora either, just checked it out, it is impressive but not that impressive. Really interesting overall design though.. N64 emulation imagine that on the tablet.

(( talk about out of context anyone know what i need to setup a wifi AP in my house? I have a 15dbi omni antenna so far))

Last edited by JFX; 2008-02-17 at 16:24.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Helsinki
civilization <3

installed this apart from some things works well
1) map cannot be scrolled with stylus. in fact I wasn't able to scroll the map with anything
2) program crashed a couple of times within 30 min gameplay..

great port but a proper freeciv version compiled for os2008 would rok

Yeah, i'm aware of these, one down, new version in the first post.

btw, i played for half an hour and didn't have any problems... I didn't have anything else running though.

Last edited by Bundyo; 2008-02-18 at 23:45.

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Why write all these ports for the N8X0 which, at best, will give you a half-arsed gaming experience?

Just wait two months and write ports for a true gaming system, the Pandora. You know, a system that actually has controls to play the games?
Why play games like Civilization which, at best, will give you a half-posteriored gaming experience?

Seriously, I think something like this should run well on the N8x0; the controls issue isn't one for a mouse-driven game like this.
Arcade games are much more demanding of controls, and you can well make that case for them, but discrete time and space strategy games, however boring and ******ed they may be, don't need a fancy-pants gaming box.

And then there's people with funding too limited to buy a second device just to boost gaming. I'll kill a few minutes with whatever games are available on the device I'm carrying around anyway, but they're just too small a part of my life to justify that kind of money.

Finally, it's not clear to me that porting games to the N8x0 is exclusive of porting them for Pandora. If they're not binary compatible, it should at least be simple to port things that have been gotten onto an N810 onto Pandora. Stuff like eliminating mouse dependence will already be done, so the effort's not wasted on the games that do fit readily.

Oh, and one question about Pandora: You know if it will have speakers? I didn't see anything about them on that wiki page...

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
It will have speakers, IIRC.

I'll be picking one up. It will be running linux, so it should be more like a full-fledged linux computer than a game system. Although, it will, IMO, certainly trounce all comers as a portable gaming device.

New article: http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS7004794073.html

Last edited by LordFu; 2008-02-19 at 01:14.

Please someone to upload the package somewhere again because the mediafire's link (in the first post) doesn't work. I really want to test this wonderful game on my IT. Thanks in advance

Just tested it and it works yet. However you need to have javascript enabled in your browser, and i doubt that it will work in opera for 2007. So use MicroB or wget to get it (to use wget first open the link on pc and when it is ready for download, copy the resulting link in the wget commandline).

Or someone can mirror the file for you.

However I don't recommend os2007 for this game, since it is not very fast on 400MHz already.

I prolly won't get a pandora. I like the n800 form factor better and I have a bluetooth keyboard for when I need it. The controls do look nice though, who knows, when the community builds up aroud it I may switch but I'm pretty heavily invested in the n800 currently. Also portable gaming is great but its not my primary use. I love having the web, remote desktop etc. Those will prolly come in time with pandora though. Pandora doesn't have a webcam =) I hope nokia uses the same graphics chip in their next tablet though so we can get some openGL hotness.

Bundyo is this running the 2.1.4 release? I haven't downloaded it yet. If you need a mirror I can provide!

Also might I suggest including the statege tileset. Its only a 490kb tarball, and looks good on small screens because it conveys info efficiently, here is a screencap (of just the tileset, not running on OS2008:

Last edited by MrDowntempo; 2008-05-03 at 04:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to MrDowntempo For This Useful Post:
Yes, looks good, will try after i get my linux box going (too much holidays are getting on my nerves).

Tags
freeciv sdl, games, new port