hi
i think i need help after long hours of reading and still cannot understand or get the result i want regarding downloads with >deb and .tar.gz files

im always encountering a .deb with a .tar.gz file when i want to try an application download. just like the personal-launch that was resently on the rss feed.

there is this limk that will go to a download site with these files. and when i click and try to install the .deb file there is always an error.

how do you install those things with .tar.gz ? isnt it the .deb is the intaller? why cant i install those things....

is there a wiki or a guide for installing those kind of files?
ahhhhhh.... i need some sleep!!!

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
.tar.gz is just an archive of the source. You have to compile that before you can package it.

Think of a .deb like .pkg in OS X or a .exe installer in Windows.

What you really want to give us here is the error message you're seeing when you go to install the .deb.

oh so the .tar.gz is just an archive...

do i have to save it on the tablet before i install the .deb file? because the eror in getting is "unable to install... some application packages required for the installation are missing"

do i need to save the .tar.gz. file on to the tablet before i install the .ded file...?

thanks for your help

Originally Posted by iceman600 View Post
oh so the .tar.gz is just an archive...
. . . of the uncompiled sources, yes. It's just the .deb file before it's compiled and packaged.

do i have to save it on the tablet before i install the .deb file? because the eror in getting is "unable to install... some application packages required for the installation are missing"
You're going to have to get more detailed than that. What are you installing? Where are you installing it from? What packages does it list as missing?

do i need to save the .tar.gz. file on to the tablet before i install the .ded file...?
No, forget the .tar.gz. It doesn't interest you.

im trying to install the personal-launch....

https://garage.maemo.org/projects/personal-launch/

and the error im getting is "unable to install personal launch because some application packages required for the installation are missing."

thats the only thing that pops up.

again im very thankful for your help...

and the error im getting is "unable to install personal launch because some application packages required for the installation are missing."
There should be a details button or something there. We need the list of packages that are missing.

ok... here is the application packages that where missing when i click the details....

it says: libglib2.0-0 and libhildondesktop0

so i have to install these two first for me to nstall the personal-launcher?