Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
720/2=360; 1440/2=720

Basically what they do is take a 2x2 square of hardware pixels and treat it like 1x1 pixel in software. It's like scaling up a picture in a picture viewer by x2 of if you drive your 1920x1080 monitor with only 960x540.
The resulting image will still be crisp, because your scaled image will still exactly match the display's pixels, but it will be "blocky".
Ok, thanks for explanation, you and pichlo. Another question: Is this common on phones? Like, there is Android phones having 1920 or even higher resolution. Are they designed the same way or is it just Purism? Because what's the point on having such a resolution for the screen if it is scaled to half?

edit: I have thought that UI (not just Purism but UI's in common) are made to fit to the screen and intended use. For example, if the buttons are too small on high resolution, they will make bigger ones. I'm just a stupid nurse with no skills to design anything, but for me it would make more sense than zooming everything in.

Last edited by Koiruus; 2018-08-06 at 14:37.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Given the screen size and resolution, UI controls such as buttons, edit boxes, menu and description text etc would be unreadable.
I wouldn't say that. At the native resolution, the Librem5's DPI is only slightly higher than that of the N900, but scaled by factor 2 it is much lower:
Code:
N900 (3.5" 800x480): 266.56 PPI
Librem5 native (5.7" 1440x720): 282.45 PPI
Librem5 scaled (5.7" 720x360): 141.23 PPI
(source: https://www.sven.de/dpi/)

The UI of the Librem5 (native) would have to be scaled up by pretty exactly x1.06 to get to the N900's DPI.
My hope would be, that they just use Gnome's inbuilt scaling option, which iirc is supposed to work at x0.1 steps. That way the user could individually adjust the scaling factor.

The worst case would be for them to hard(ware) wire the scaling, e.g by some firmware or preprocessor chip, which would make it impossible for even 3rd party OSes (e.g. Debian) to change the scaling. But I don't believe that will be the case.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Yes, sulu, but would you call desktop UI on the N900 "usable"?

Maemo uses text size from 40 upwards. Buttons 60 pixels high (I do not remember the exact details but I do not think I am too far off). As opposed to text size somewhere between 8 and 12 on a normal desktop. That is what I meant by "designing a UI specific for small screens" in my later edit.

I tried a few desktop apps - both in Easy Debian and ones I compiled myself - and I would not call them exactly usable. You could use them in an emergency but not every day.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Koiruus View Post
I have thought that UI (not just Purism but UI's in common) are made to fit to the screen and intended use. For example, if the buttons are too small on high resolution, they will make bigger ones. I'm just a stupid nurse with no skills to design anything, but for me it would make more sense than zooming everything in.
You are right. Adroid, Sailfish, Maemo etc are designed specifically for mobiles and have the size of UI controls modified to be usable comfortably. Then they can use a normal, 1:1 pixel mapping for everything else, such as pictures and videos.

But Purism is taking a shortcut. They are using a normal Gnome or KDE desktop. I do not know whether this is temporary or designed to stay like that forever. Their App Development page makes me think it is there to stay. I hope I am wrong.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Is this common on phones? Like, there is Android phones having 1920 or even higher resolution. Are they designed the same way or is it just Purism? Because what's the point on having such a resolution for the screen if it is scaled to half?
I don't know about Android phones, but I guess Purism does what it's doing, because as a small company with no influence on hardware parts manufacturers, they have to take what they can get.
If we have a look at available 5.7" panels [1], it seems like you have to go for a 1440x720 panel and scale the software output if you want more than 640 pixels width and/or no 4:3 format and if you want to have the touch matrix integrated (which I would prefer in Purism's situation).

edit: I have thought that UI (not just Purism but UI's in common) are made to fit to the screen and intended use. For example, if the buttons are too small on high resolution, they will make bigger ones.
That's what you do, if you have full control over the UI design. But Purism doesn't have that, they merely cooperate with Gnome on this project. That's one reason why I think they use Gnome's integrated zoom feature.
Basically pichlo's edit in #409 nails it.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Yes, sulu, but would you call desktop UI on the N900 "usable"?
Certainly not. But Estel has shown some quite interesting experiments with Easy Debian's LXDE desktop.
So I think at least LXDE and Xfce could be made to work quite well on a 5.7" touch screen. Of course they still wouldn't stand a chance in terms of modern fashion, which I guess is why Purism didn't consider them.

I use Xfce on a 12" tablet. I had to scale some things up, not for visibility but to hit the buttons. It looks a bit awkward here and there, but it works very well, even better than Gnome (which looks better but works worse).
I'm aware that 6" is a totally different story, but I believe fashion aside, they could have just as well made Xfce usable with the amount of work they had and have to invest into making Gnome work.

btw: I also believe that Purism will stick with Gnome. They just don't have the manpower or expertise to develop a mobile UI from scratch.
There are currently no FLOSS mobile UIs in good shape. What remains are probably some proprietary mobile UIs (Sailfish?) that don't fit their philosophy, and some half-baked desktop UIs that sort of work on a mobile screen. Among these, they chose the best-looking one, which is Gnome.

[1] http://www.panelook.com/modelsearch....igh=300&page=1

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
I use Xfce on a 12" tablet. I had to scale some things up, not for visibility but to hit the buttons. It looks a bit awkward here and there, but it works very well, even better than Gnome (which looks better but works worse).
me too

I use Xfce on a variety of tablets with zero problem.
after the original hours fiddling to personalize.

Which means that some team with a few hours
could institutionalize whatever XFCE standards
for their particular hardware.

XFCE is not rocket science,

and it beats GNOME in far too many important aspects to list.

The monolithic philosophy of Gnome is a flaw that cannot be undone.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
agreed as well,
I have used xfce quite happily on a couple tablets.
Gnome is a a heavy monster in compare.

what we need here is Gerbick D.A. (Devil's Advocate) to step in ..

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 100 | Thanked: 307 times | Joined on Jan 2015 @ Argentina
The issue of resolution is about reducing power consumption:

What is the resoluton of the built in display?

The screen resolution will be 720x1440 on a 5.7” screen. (There are more details on our Phone Constraints page.)

Having 720x1440 pixels within a 5.7” screen has the benefits of clear pictures and 2:1 square pixel ratio. Also, higher resolutions would have a higher heat dissipation and increased power usage since more pixels need to be moved around so we are purposefully reducing the heat dissipation and power consumption.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maegon9y00 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by theonelaw View Post
Like that of the Linux kernel?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Originally Posted by theonelaw View Post
Like that of the Linux kernel?
Or Sailfish system updates?

Sorry, it was impossible to resist. It is an age-old bugbear of mine

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: