So...it has become apparent since I bought a new N9 (to replace my old N9) that Google is no longer supporting MfE for new devices.
Is there any way around this for Google and if not, what is everyone using to sync contacts?

I swear, Google takes away the useful things and leaves the crap programs be.

Posts: 498 | Thanked: 836 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Finland
Do you still have your old phone? Maybe you could try this? Works like a charm for me at least.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82979

Yes, I still have it (and am using it while I get the new one set up.)

I remember seeing that (thanks for the link btw) and could go to that but I would still like to find a way to keep syncing all my contacts online too. I add new numbers somewhat often and like to have them all synced up online for ease of use when I go to use Google Voice or email, etc.

I didn't know if MS still allowed sync for free (with just a hotmail or outlook account) or if there was another service that did reasonably well. Only reason I don't go with Nokia is because I'm pretty sure my next phone will not be a Nokia (probably Jolla, FF, or...ugh, an Android.)

I use an IMAP account for mail, CalDAV for calendar, and syncevolution for CardDAV for contacts. I manually sync the CardDAV, but the other accounts can be set through the Accounts settings.

How did you set up syncevolution? I've thought about that but I'm almost to the point of just keeping this N9, selling the other one, and then going to Android when the Nexus 5 is released.

Things are just getting too difficult having a small player in the mobile game. I've been with Nokia since I started buying cell phones (S60, N900, N9) and I'm just to the point of accepting defeat and getting Android.

I was a able to sync carddav with google, but its really difficut...
Calendar is a little easier...

With the 900 you need to disable the SSL certificate verification in both cases. This can only be done by manually editing the config files.

Check my last posts on the sync evolution howto thread. (Read the whole page)

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=40278&page=19

To set up syncevolution, I created a script that handles the settings and initial sync:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

set USER=<username>
set PASS=<password>
set BASE_URL=<full_http[s]_address_and_base_path>
set CONFIG=<configuration_name>

# Remove previous configs
rm -rf ~/.config/syncevolution

# Create initial config
syncevolution --configure \
	--template WebDAV \
	username=$USER \
	password=$PASS \
	syncurl=$BASE_URL/ \
	target-config@$CONFIG

# Create CardDAV
	database=$BASE_URL/$USER/addresses/ \
	backend=carddav \
	target-config@$CONFIG \
	addressbook

# Create local sync config
	--template SyncEvolution_Client \
	sync=none \
	syncurl=local://@$CONFIG \
	username= \
	password= \
	$CONFIG

# Create local addressbook sync
	sync=two-way \
	backend=addressbook \
	database= \
	$CONFIG \
	addressbook

# Run initial syncs
syncevolution --sync slow $CONFIG addressbook
I'm running my own DAViCal (1.1.1) server on Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS. $USER and $PASS are the account I have set up for my calendar/contacts, $BASE_URL (for my installation) is https://domain:8443/caldav.php/ (I have it behind Apache2 with SSL/TLS) and $CONFIG is whatever you want to call your config (mine is 'freja', which is the internal name of my server).

To use the script, copy it somewhere on your device (or create it in nano and edit it locally or via ssh, which is was I did), place your settings at the top where the 'set' commands are, and it will set up addressbook syncing. (You can also do CalDAV this way, but I am using a CalDAV account through the Accounts on the N9.)

(Just a note, this does not automatically sync your contacts. You must manually sync your addressbook. To do this, open a terminal window, and type 'syncevolution $CONFIG', and it will sync with the server. Since you most likely don't have $CONFIG set in your .bashrc or whatever file it is on the N9, you'll have to manually substitute the $CONFIG name. On my device, I type 'syncevolution freja'.)

This is what worked for my device and my server. If you are running a different DAV server, you may have to massage some of the lines, such as the 'syncurl' setting.

The Following User Says Thank You to rpcameron For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the code. I'll have to look into this. I'm almost exclusively running Ubuntu Gnome 13.04 now so this could definitely work. I do believe though that my next phone will be an Android, probably the Nexus 5.

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Originally Posted by cincibluer6 View Post
I do believe though that my next phone will be an Android, probably the Nexus 5.
That was the intention of Google. They win.

export your contact to Outlook.com, mfe works perfectly.

for calendar (if you need), use CalDav.

refer comment at this article : http://technololgic.blogspot.com/201...ed-access.html

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soryuuha For This Useful Post: