Notices

As you probably know if you're reading this, the MSCIM packages modify the Input Method of your device to facilitate easy input of characters from languages such as Chinese, Japanese or Korean.

Unfortunately, installing MSCIM disables the default input method on your device, and in the case of the N900 makes the onscreen virtual keyboard, and the onscreen symbols keyboard (blue arrow + Sym) stop working.

The mscim-tables-symbol package gives access to all symbols again, via the hardware keyboard.

Ctrl+Space activates MSCIM as normal, but Shift+Space switches between the different Input Methods/tables you have installed. There is no visual indication that anything has changed, but if you type, e.g. the 'M' key when MSCIM symbols table is active, you'll be able to choose between the normal single quote (') and the backtick/backquote (`).

Shift+Space again will revert back to the characters table for the language you are using.

And of course, ctrl+space disables MSCIM again so that you can type in the native alphabet of your keyboard.

I have posted this thread because I couldn't find it documented anywhere how to actually use the symbols table. Hope it helps somebody!

Last edited by Xagoln; 2011-05-06 at 17:28.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xagoln For This Useful Post:
(Cross-posting for other suffering MSCIM users)

I have just created a status menu switcher applet, which allows on-the-fly enabling/disabling of MSCIM (no rebooting).

This will save your battery life greatly, and also allows you to use the onscreen keyboard and symbol menu again!

It still has a few rough edges, but will probably be helpful to most people not requiring MSCIM to be active constantly.

Read this thread carefully, and then download the package if you wish to try it.

All usual warnings apply!! I will not be responsible if your device requires reflashing afterwards, etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to Xagoln For This Useful Post: