Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
On the other hand, Android 3 is rumored to already be in testing by various handset manufacturers with a release scheduled for "mid-2010". So, if those rumors are true, Android 3 should be available as a finished product to end users first, yes.
Note that it's in testing by -manufacturers- but it is not at all available to the larger Android community. Whereas with MeeGo, the intention is that the bleeding edge of MeeGo will always be available to the public and manufacturers at the same time. Certainly, that's where I hope we are going with this.

That's one reason I will stick with MeeGo and not Android.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 145 | Thanked: 237 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Spyker View Post
It's just a pre-alpha of the common UI design for the project... We have seen nothing yet. The Harmattan UI from Nokia may probably look quite different.
We had better hope so. This is really boring and uninspired. If anything, it is what Symbian^4 could look like and get away with. All the talk about Maemo being a chance to do something beyond phones - there's nothing of that in today's release.

Not quite liking the fact that you can supposedly switch between the card switcher and grid switcher in Harmattan either. The advanced option should be the default, or even the only one, because even novices will benefit from it when they "get it". We're not talking vi level learning curves here.

This UI reeks of MeeGo finally becoming so big that the beancounters have started pushing it to a more mainstream mode of operation. But that will fail, because

a) Nokia doesn't need two Symbians

b) the N9 is at this point even more important as an advertising exercise than as a device, and it needs to make a big splash or Nokia's credibility is lost. Matching everyone else two years later is not enough. It needs to go where no one else will go, because Nokia is the only one that can tell all the people who can't handle it to buy Symbian instead.

c) the reference UI will probably be less advanced than the coming Android UI update.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jnwi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 312 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ dubai
meego, who cares about it?
why are we using pr1.2
we should use pr1.1 to get free paid apps on ovi

One other thing came to mind: it better have widgets, or else I'm just going to stick with Maemo5.

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Android 3 is rumored to already be in testing by various handset manufacturers with a release scheduled for "mid-2010". So, if those rumors are true, Android 3 should be available as a finished product to end users first, yes.
It already IS 'mid-2010' - June 30th. And Android 2.2 is just trickling out. So I'm gonna stick my neck out and predict the rumors were wrong.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
One other thing came to mind: it better have widgets, or else I'm just going to stick with Maemo5.
Like Symbian, MeeGo-Harmattan will support Nokia Web Runtime (WRT), which should bring loads of widgets. While I have not yet tried the plug-in for Aptana Studio, .

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jnwi View Post
We had better hope so. This is really boring and uninspired. If anything, it is what Symbian^4 could look like and get away with. All the talk about Maemo being a chance to do something beyond phones - there's nothing of that in today's release.

Not quite liking the fact that you can supposedly switch between the card switcher and grid switcher in Harmattan either. The advanced option should be the default, or even the only one, because even novices will benefit from it when they "get it". We're not talking vi level learning curves here.

This UI reeks of MeeGo finally becoming so big that the beancounters have started pushing it to a more mainstream mode of operation. But that will fail, because

a) Nokia doesn't need two Symbians

b) the N9 is at this point even more important as an advertising exercise than as a device, and it needs to make a big splash or Nokia's credibility is lost. Matching everyone else two years later is not enough. It needs to go where no one else will go, because Nokia is the only one that can tell all the people who can't handle it to buy Symbian instead.

c) the reference UI will probably be less advanced than the coming Android UI update.
so true...

I believe the look of the UI can be improved
... but I really miss the genius concept of Harmattan: having desktop filled with “operational” widgets (widgets which allows you to have almost full functionality of a application right on a screen without going into app itself) it was something that was making the UI ultra functional

I find it funny the contrast between Engadget's commenters (they love it!) and TMO...Mainstream.

Oh and by the way are there any screenshots of the email application?

The Following User Says Thank You to Odd_gunnic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Odd_gunnic View Post
I find it funny the contrast between Engadget's commenters (they love it!) and TMO...Mainstream.

Oh and by the way are there any screenshots of the email application?
I remember what Canola main dev said once:

"We are not the users."

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by ...boy View Post
When you look at Harmattan concept of having desktop filled with “operational” widgets (widgets which allows you to have almost full functionality of a application right on a screen without going into app itself) it was something to wait for, something that was making the UI ultra functional ...

... does anybody know if Harmattan UI will be implemented in Nokia version of MeeGo ???
Yes, it will. At least have widgets in home screens..

Last edited by jsa; 2010-06-30 at 20:50.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post: