Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
To clarify: I am only talking about the maemo-community mailing list. This is not a developer mailing list, it is supposedly aimed at the whole community.

I also think that maemo-users should be phased out, because it contains 99.5% of what is already posted here at t.m.o., but it isn't being used to discuss important community issues that effect everyone like maemo-community is. I don't really care much if people insist on posting on the maemo-users list instead of posting here, because I haven't seen any important discussions there.

There is less traffic on maemo-community (look how many posts this thread has received in 45 minutes!) and I think some people like that, but I think community issues need to be discussed in the most "public" space available, and I believe that is this forum.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
The biggest argument for keeping development on the maemo-community mailing list (apart from the ease with which one can track the really important community things) is the fact that the people who actually do the community work use it.

Whether you find the forum or not easier is, TBH moot, it's they who should be asked.

For example, having all the karma discussion on tmo is fine and dandy - until, like Brainstorm, some hair-brained, unimplementable and unrealistic scheme is dreamt up and then thrown over the wall to X-Fade, bergie et al and told "implement this".

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
For example, having all the karma discussion on tmo is fine and dandy - until, like Brainstorm, some hair-brained, unimplementable and unrealistic scheme is dreamt up and then thrown over the wall to X-Fade, bergie et al and told "implement this".
For clarification: are you saying Brainstorm is that scheme, or one or more schemes lurking in Brainstorm?

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
For clarification: are you saying Brainstorm is that scheme, or one or more schemes lurking in Brainstorm?
There are schemes like this in Brainstorm which get voted highly because the voting and discussion doesn't include those who actually know the details (and complexity) of the possible implementations.

Similarly, discussions about karma are limited because of the technical limitations with the current karma system. Unless, in discussion with the folks who can implement it, the scope is increased into a full-blown redesign of karma (the biggest technical limitation at the moment, AIUI, is that the entirety of a user's karma is recalculated from scratch every time. It does not accrue).

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Hi all,

I personally believe that the activity on the maemo-community list should be moved to the talk.maemo.org Community forum.
-1, there's room for both.

Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
is it really necessary to maintain six mailing lists? I suggest to just maintain one and move others here at Talk.
I only count 5, and of those maemo-commits is completely inappropriate for talk and maemo-announce is pretty much dead (4 posts in the last year).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Understood, thanks.

My feeling: use this talk forum for topics requiring more organization, and the mailing list for the "looser" stuff. Topics here could also be automatically bundled into a periodic digest and the links sent to the mailing list as an FYI.

But personally I tend to use both, often for the same topic, to reach the typically different audiences. And more and more I'm using my blog to bridge this Talk Community subforum and the mailing list, so subscribe and I'll help you out.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
The biggest argument for keeping development on the maemo-community mailing list (apart from the ease with which one can track the really important community things) is the fact that the people who actually do the community work use it.

Whether you find the forum or not easier is, TBH moot, it's they who should be asked.
Dude. How incredibly insulting. Bad form.

Since, by your definition, only a handful of people actually do the community work, it should be fairly straightforward to ask those people to check the Community forum on talk.maemo.org on a regular basis.

Or even better, post a notification on the -community mailing list when a thread is started in the Community forum on t.m.o.

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
I don't think Jaffa's comment was too out-of-line -- there's a lot of truth in it. But, I also have no problem with deprecating the mailing list in order to cohesify community-related communications. I like the mailing list format better, but coming here to perform community tasks takes just about the same amount of time. (And, yes, tmo -- regardless of the tools it provides -- is much more difficult to track than the mailing list.)

Tim

P.S. No, I'm not back. That is, unless I have to come here for community-related discussion instead of my Inbox.

I don't think it's really 'moot'. I think that the problem here is that the community ultimately gets divided and the discussions are scattered in several places.

I would think that a mailing list can still be used to announce something important, but it should include a link to the main thread here at Talk to discuss the topic in more detail -- similar to how Andrew just announced about this thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
The problem is there on both sides. I am subscribed to several mailing lists and I do get emails of topics I just don't care about. What's worse is that there is no unsubscribe for that particular topic, so I get all the email replies on that topic, forever...
This is a rather side issue, but I'd better mention it:

Depends on your mail tools. I believe some do let you "unsubscribe" or "hide" a thread including future posts on it, or unsubscribe from a subthread (in the tree) while getting the rest of the tree.

With lists you get to tailor your reading with your choice of tools and scripts. With forums you don't, although tmo is quite well equipped, as they go, with tools of its own. But not, unfortunately, the ability to track replies, so it tends to discourage that style of communication and encourage a more "room full of people talking at once" style instead :-)

Tags
communication, community, community = together, fragmentation, how can we be lovers, mailing lists, polarization, when we can't be friends?