I was going post this on HowardsForum first but I figure this would bemore interesting and I could get one viewpoint before I get the other. Hopefully people who own both devices can comment (as well as those who own the tablet + a data plan. Is the iPhone for Me?

I have a Nokia n800 Internet Tablet. It is NOT a phone, it was sold by Nokia as an internet web-browsing device for use with WiFi or tethering. It could also do media to a certain extent. But thanks to its Linux core and a great community it quickly expanded to be able to run various operating systems and have a great variety of applications from GPS to Office Programs, etc..I can even use it as a phone due to a variety of reasons (SIPP, Skype, or Google Voice [formerly GrandCentral] as long as I'm near an access point. I have it up to 32 GBs of storage thanks to two 16 GB SDHC cards so I rarely have memory space issues from the music, pictures, video, maps, etc.. I have on it.

However, like I said. It's not a phone. A major problem is that I'm reliant on WiFi. Which isn't bad right now since I'm an undergraduate and the campus has complete WiFi. And the graduate school I will be going to in Fall also have complete WiFi. Another problem is the hardware is quite dated. The next-generation tablet is coming out with 3G (but it won't be a phone) and much better specs. While the n800 is showing its age against modern smartphones (though surprisingly it holds up pretty well still functionality wise).

But I feel the iPhone can fill that gap that my n800 has. If I plan on taking photos I usually bring my Canon along with my tablet. But there are occasions where I forget my camera or I didn't bring it. It was a built in GPS compared my n800 + bluetooth GPS situation. Which works just as great but again data connection problem. I can't plan a new route without the help of one. While the iPhone can do that (as long as it has an internet access.. I'm guessing without it, it'd be a fish out of water since it doesn't actually download the maps). I also use Google Voice's SMS so I can't check it without an internet connection.

I'm 100% sure that if I got an iPhone I would have to jailbreak it to install the useful applications for me (the ones that Apple doesn't like) such as OpenSSH. Also there are some interesting programs that Apple just doesn't like. Another interest I have in the iPhone is Evernote. Can you clip information from the web? Or is that not allowed due to Apple's forced system of one app a time (which is one of the things I don't like about the iPhone?) Also how much multi-tasking can you do without installing an app like backgrounder. Can you chat, listen to music, and surf the web at the same time for example? I've browsed through some applications for the iPhone (and I've used one myself since my cousin has one thanks to the University of Maryland [he's one of the people in the program that got one]). Some applications seem impressive, some games seem impressive (though I can't imagine myself playing them often since I rarely play any of the games I've installed on my tablet). Most application lists I browse online (like top ten, fifty, hundred, or useful apps) I already have on my tablet in some shape or form.

Another issue I have is that I usually am in Ubuntu on the Ubuntu/Vista side of my laptop. And Ubuntu on my Ubuntu/XP side of my desktop. So iTunes integration is pretty much a no go (I'd boot into it just for updates and what not).

I think what I might just do is tether the iPhone to my n800 over Bluetooth. But if I do that then couldn't I just get another phone say the Android G1 and do that? Both the iPhone and Android seem to have location aware applications for restaurants and what not. Or I could wait for the next-gen tablet which has 3G support and more modern specs.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ A quiet place.
For me, the iphone is just too locked down. Even jailbreaking has its drawbacks. Once I clear my groggy head I might come back with more thoughts.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I don't know how spendy you want to be. To me -- but I ain't you! -- your needs that exceed the N800 sound minor.

You probably know this, but if you don't ... If you don't use the phone much, the prepaid T-Mobile "non-plan" is very cheap. If you buy your time right, it's 10 cents per minute, pretty much however little you use it. (I spend only about $100/year.) And the phone is cheap, too. It would cover your picture-taking needs, but not your other needs, like wifi-less gps.

This isn't at all what you asked about, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Maybe you just don't have a great enough need to make the cost of an iPhone or G1 monthly plan worth it. And the savings you would make would be more than enough to pay for a new RX-51 when it comes out.

Finally, do we know for a fact that the RX-51 will not double as a phone? Since Nokia is equipping it with G3 it seems strange that it would not be provided with a cellphone option.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2007 @ Rocklin, CA
My 2 cents worth (and that's about all it's worth!) -

I had a n800 and replaced it with a n810, mostly for the keyboard. I find it does all of the things you mention above quite well. I use the device on a daily basis for web, email, and reading rss feeds.

For a cell phone I have a Blackberry Bold. Wonderful device. Wifi, 3G, camera, KEYBOARD, gorgeous screen, etc. Because of the two radios (3G amd WiFi), I can take it pretty much anywhere and still access all the information I need. The screen is not nearly as big as the n8X0's, but it gets the job done when there is no WiFi available.

I recently bought an iPod Touch. I resisted for a long time, and I refused to get an iPhone (or any phone without a real keyboard). I have had several in the past (a Siemens WinCE for instance) and the lack of a real keyboard really sucked for me. I have to say I love the Touch for it's simplicity and it really cool touch screen. The availability of apps is amazing (even if a lot of them are useless - how many fart apps does one need?). It does many thing remarkably well, including play music and videos, and YouTube videos. However, it is far from perfect, and only reinforces my decision NOT to buy an iPhone.

The first demerit with the iPhone/iTouch is the virtual keyboard. In a word, it sucks. Most of the time you are forced to use it in portrait mode, which causes the "keys" to be really small. Predictive text, while it is there, never ever seems to help me. Ever. Also, depending on the app, the keyboard is not always the same layout. In some apps this is good, but in others I think "why is the other layout not here?" I constantly have to retype things --- and passwords are especially bad since it hides the text rather quickly. Typing fast is almost impossible.
The other thing I have noticed, is that programs crash on it rather frequently. It is a fairly graceful crash, with the app just closing back to the main menu. With no explanation, error code, etc. iTunes does offer to send the logs back to Apple upon the next sync.

Over all, I like it as an internet device. The screen is much smaller than the n810, but zooming is fairly easy (it could be improved). The keyboard sucks (would much rather have the n8x0's virtual keyboard's predictive text feature --- which actually works pretty well).

For a phone, I cannot recommend an iPhone. I have many friends that have them and like them, but for me a good keyboard is a must. I live with email and texting more than voice calls. The BlackBerry, the Palm Pre or one of the high end Nokia's fit this bill to a T for me.

For an mobile interenet appliance, botht the n8x0 devices and the Touch work well in their respective ways. The Nokia seems much more business like and has a much larger/higher res screen. I can actually do work on the device.

The Touch is great for a quick web visit, or if there is an app, then you are in business. But the screen is small (but very responsive) and using it to do work (without a custom app) can be frustrating with the tiny screen. It has some really awesome games however.

Well, that's my two cents worth... hope you find something of value in there! Good luck!

I just got a G1 to replace my Nokia 6680. I think it compliments my N800 very well. It has a great little keyboard and checking email/ maps is VERY FAST, but at the end of the day, the interface is built to be a phone. However, the N800 is better at being a computer and I feel that the browser is better b/c of flash plugin and rendering like a desktop browser; also, apps like Canola, gFTP, Abiword and Skype rock the socks off of the G1.

In regards to G1 vs. iPhone: The G1 is also "hackable" and is not as locked down as the iPhone; e.g., apps can be downloaded outside of the market directly from the developer, the device itself can be turned it into a wifi router, you can run alternate operating systems, etc. So, since both Maemo and Android are "hackable", I think they make perfect mates.

Tether it. Go to a phone store and try to get online with a demo phone and when you find one that works and costs the least, go for it. One thing though. I went from a touchscreen phone to an LG shine. For texting it was the worst thing I could do. Even the most rudamentary onscreen keyboard is faster than a non qwerty keypad on a phone. I rarely send texts now because of that. Too bad phonelink wont work with the phone.

Thanks for the opinions and feedback people! I agree with you abond that I'm not a fan of the screen keyboard myself. It's something that has bugged me on both the n800 and the iPhone (from what I've used of it). I guess I just prefer a hard keyboard versus a touch screen one. I've tried the n810's keyboard in stores and it's a bit to small though for my liking.

Another reason why I've generally stuck with a "free" phone (the ones cell phone companies give you) is I generally don't call people that often. I'm on my parents' family plan (the only reason why I'm bringing this topic up is I'm not sure if I'll be eligable to stay on it as I'm graduating college soon and moving onto a graduate school.... yay independence.. at least I get to stay on my family health's insurance). When I do call people I just try to go through Google Voice. So if I did go the tMobile route I would just route phone calls thru Google Voice. I'm more interested in the data plan side of things.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Romania
i'd love to have an alternative for iphone.
the touch and safari zoom compensate enought the screen resolution.
rss reading is easy and lots of other very cool things and easy to use (read ergonomics).
indeed too locked down and an update to 2.2.1 can brick it.
on-screen-keyboard sucks enough, but one can get used to it.
nothing standard: microSD, mini/microUSB, bluetooh it's a pain (but duable).
the camera with 2mp it's a little outdated.

overall it's very tempting, however i'll go in a minute for a NIT with gsm, even
if i would look like Dumbo when using it to talk as a phone

Cheers,
-Mihai

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
So if I did go the tMobile route I would just route phone calls thru Google Voice. I'm more interested in the data plan side of things.
I have been a loyal customer of T-Mobile for many years because I get the best bang for my buck and great customer service. However, they have recently been locking down tethering abilities; TM506 firmware updates have removed this ability, and they recently asked Google to remove tethering apps from the market. So, I would be careful or think ahead before making a decision. You'll definitely need the technical know-how to tether with the G1.

In regards to having a physical keyboard: again, I recommend the G1. The thumb keyboard for the N800 drives me nuts, but the G1 physical keyboard is awesome.

To compare, here are my initial comparisons between my Nokia 6680 and the HTC G1 (what one does, the other doesn't):

Nokia: Tethering out of the box
Nokia: Shoots video
Nokia: Faster camera with flash
Nokia: Ability to shoot video
Nokia: Battery life better
Nokia: Can send files (like photos) via bluetooth (G1 can't!)

G1: Better support for maps
G1: Does 3G on T-Mobile
G1: Slower camera, better quality
G1: Keyboard
G1: Industry-standard plugs (USB for power and connection)
G1: OS hackable

How much technical know-how? Like Linux terminal stuff? I know that Google recently removed tethering apps but you can always install it by hand. And I'd only be using the tethering for basic things like downloading a route for MaemoMapper, chatting on Pidgin, or just updating FeedCircuit. Not torrenting or download maps for MaemoMapper. So the traffic should be unrecognizable right?

Tags
iphone n800 data-plan, tether that thang