Originally Posted by fonner View Post
Yea got it working thanks azz forwading this info to pspscene
Don't thank me, thank Tarball...glad you got it to work.

Untested but rather than editing the script each time, this should work:

replace:
Code:
insmod /root/psfreedom.ko
exit 1
with
Code:
if [ -f "/root/musbtoggle" ];
then rm /root/musbtoggle;
else insmod /root/psfreedom.ko; touch /root/musbtoggle; exit 1
fi
Though there is a disable script that was included in the original psfreedom zip archive...

so, i was able to do the whole process but my ps3 isn't recognizing the USB storage with the package file, any clue of what can be?

(on n800).

Last edited by arthurgca; 2010-09-07 at 00:44.

Originally Posted by arthurgca View Post
so, i was able to do the whole process but my ps3 isn't recognizing the USB storage with the package file, any clue of what can be?

(on n800).
so you got the "instal package" option in the ps3 but just can't make the ps3 recognize your external drive?

if this is the case, make sure your external storage is formatted in fat32 and not ntfs.

if you cant get the install package to show up, make sure to power the ps3 properly. Power the ps3 then press and hold the eject instantly after that. you shouldn't hear any beep. if you hear two beeps after pressing eject, you did it wrong.

Last edited by azz; 2010-09-07 at 01:01.

Originally Posted by azz View Post
so you got the "instal package" option in the ps3 but just can't make the ps3 recognize your external drive?

if this is the case, make sure your external storage is formatted in fat32 and not ntfs.

if you can get the install package to show up, make sure to power the ps3 properly. Power the ps3 then press and hold the eject instantly after that. you shouldn't hear any beep. if you hear two beeps after pressing eject, you did it wrong.
i will try this, thanks!

Noobie here with a resurrected n800

Just succeeded - I got it working

One tip, when you press the power then eject key, hold the eject key and look for the message 'connected to USB' on the screen of the n800, if you don't see this then you almost certainly need to power off and try again.

I have 2 AT90USBKEY2's due to arrive Wednesday but I just couldn't wait that long to get in on the action.

Using the backup manager now to backup a few disks then I'm going to try the same technique on my other system which still has 3.15

Last edited by lesliew; 2010-09-07 at 03:14.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Azz, Tarball, thanks!

Just a few additional tips, these are things I got hung up on or feel they may be useful for people trying this for the first time:

1.) After you've added the psfreedom.ko kernel module to load on startup, you do not have to run any of the original PSFreedom scripts; in fact, you can ignore the scripts completely.

2.) The startup sequence was kind of murky in all the instructions I saw. You need to completely shut down your PS3 (unplug the slim and plug it back in, or flick the power switch on the back of the fat). Plug in your powered up N810 (remember, the kernel module loaded at bootup so it's already running sans script). Then, with a disc in the drive, press power and then press eject quickly. The disc should pop out but you won't see anything on your TV just yet. In a few seconds, the PS3 boot screen will pop up. (Hang onto the disc for now.) Log in, and under the Games menu you should see two new objects. This means it worked. You can now put the disc back in if you feel like it.

3.) Install Packages might be empty. If it is, you've got to load the Backup Manager package (google it) onto a USB key or external HDD. When plugged in, Install Packages will detect the package off the USB storage device and allow installation.

4.) Before backing up your first game, remove the USB storage device otherwise the Backup Manager will automatically try to backup to it. It also goes VERY slowly over USB. My backup failed because the 1GB USB key filled up (which was my tip off to this behaviour).

I'm about 75% done my first test at backing up a game, if I hit any issues in trying it I'll add to the above list.

Cheers again!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hedgecore For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Hedgecore View Post
Azz, Tarball, thanks!

Just a few additional tips, these are things I got hung up on or feel they may be useful for people trying this for the first time:

1.) After you've added the psfreedom.ko kernel module to load on startup, you do not have to run any of the original PSFreedom scripts; in fact, you can ignore the scripts completely.

2.) The startup sequence was kind of murky in all the instructions I saw. You need to completely shut down your PS3 (unplug the slim and plug it back in, or flick the power switch on the back of the fat). Plug in your powered up N810 (remember, the kernel module loaded at bootup so it's already running sans script). Then, with a disc in the drive, press power and then press eject quickly. The disc should pop out but you won't see anything on your TV just yet. In a few seconds, the PS3 boot screen will pop up. (Hang onto the disc for now.) Log in, and under the Games menu you should see two new objects. This means it worked. You can now put the disc back in if you feel like it.

3.) Install Packages might be empty. If it is, you've got to load the Backup Manager package (google it) onto a USB key or external HDD. When plugged in, Install Packages will detect the package off the USB storage device and allow installation.

4.) Before backing up your first game, remove the USB storage device otherwise the Backup Manager will automatically try to backup to it. It also goes VERY slowly over USB. My backup failed because the 1GB USB key filled up (which was my tip off to this behaviour).

I'm about 75% done my first test at backing up a game, if I hit any issues in trying it I'll add to the above list.

Cheers again!
Great post, hedgecore. Glad you got it to work. The steps were left vague because it should work similarly to the n900's but thanks for the tips.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
FYI, the backup of God of War 1/2 worked great!

Threw me for a second when I had to put in an actual legit disc.

Thanks again to both of you!

The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgecore For This Useful Post:
FYI, Sony released a mandatory system update last night that reportedly foils this exploit.

The Following User Says Thank You to boblinds For This Useful Post: