Posts: 33 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Boulder,CO
I bought my first N810 about 60 days ago and after about 2 weeks it started failing to connect to the internet. I could get a wireless connection fine. Got connected here at my house and at work but when I try to load a page it times out and same thing when I try connecting to mail server. Gets a vpn to work connection as well but can't ssh to anything at work. So I sent it back to Tigerdirect and got another one on exchange. Now after about 20 days of use it has done the exact same thing as this one before.

After I flashed the first one it started working again. I have not flashed this one yet but frankly I don't want a device and have to flash every couple weeks. Anybody else have this issue? Seems odd to happen on 2 devices.

Thanks
jb

Well I got my TigerDirect return authorization today. Good bye to the Nowork-Nokia810 community.

I would not recommend this highly over rated device to anybody.

what a pile

edit--
Damnit. I really like this device and am pissed it stops working and I don't really want to give it up.

Last edited by manx; 2009-06-26 at 17:29. Reason: remorse

From what I've seen on boards and Bugzilla, this isn't too common at all. You might just have bad luck with getting bad units.

What applications did you load? That should help other users be of help. I'm a pre-n00b myself (I haven't gotten one yet! Just ordered), so I'm not of much help. If you want more serious help, you can file a report in the bugs section and vote it up, but it's likely it will be filed "worksforme".

The Following User Says Thank You to ishida336 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Manx your N810 experience is unfortunate but hardly represents the norm. I've had my N810 for months and use it continiously every day. Being adventuresum I've had some issues with a few aps I tried but have always found another that met my needs. I consider the N810 to be the best handheld device I've ever owned and there have been many through the years.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Following User Says Thank You to fragos For This Useful Post:
All standard stuff that I loaded:

maemomapper
claws-mail
WifiInfo
Canola
VPN GUI
Pidgin internet Messenger (not configured or used)
mNotes
GPE Contacts
omweather
Seqretary (not used)
PyRDesktop

installed ssh client but can't remember which one but it was common one and loaded off this site

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mine just did this. It sat in a drawer for months, and the last time I used it it worked fine. Now it connects, but traffic doesn't seem to go anywhere. What's more bizarre is I get errors if I try to connect to a different access point.

Unfortunately, I didn't install simple tools like 'ping' so I'm clueless as to why it's failing to bring me any joy.

Any ideas? (I popped the battery but nada.) My 770s battery is so dead that I think it needs to drink a bit of juice before it decides to boot.

*Edit: The 770 came up with the same failure and it hasn't been updated in yeaaars. Bizarre!!! I just ran sudo gainroot and giggled because that's how we used to have to do it. No joy on pinging anything, even the router. ifconfig reports I have a valid IP of 192.168.1.6... Gonna reboot the router and check back in.

Last edited by Hedgecore; 2009-06-26 at 23:46.

Hedge, I actually get that problem with our laptops on occasion, and it's often fixed by rebooting the router. If that doesn't work, you might have a problem.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Router rebooted, neither the 770 or the N810 work... two macbooks, two iphones, a PS3, a Wii, all connect fine... I'm confused, I'll bring the tablets to work and try to connect.

As a final update, the N810 has connected (I'm not going to bother trying with the 770 'cause... well... the N810 connected).

I disabled DHCP and entered a manual IP. Very odd that the only two devices that couldn't connect were the NiTs that've been sitting unmodified in a drawer for months. (My router setup hasn't changed in about a year and a half). Maybe it's starting to go.

Anyway. There's my solution. Seeya again in a few months guys.

Glad you got it working. For future reference: The problem is usually the router config. If you have any major problems just flash the device, it should work fine after that. Try connecting to the router with a laptop - if you still can't connect then the router is the problem (be sure to try that laptop booted from Linux as there can be issues with WPA2 and such). If all else fails well sounds like talking to Nokia customer service.