Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
FYI: Webb is the name of the telescope. The speaker is John Mather. He is a Nobel Prize winner in astrophysics.
Named after webb.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-83yGZvoDyw

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Hi. Any alien news?

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Hi. Any alien news?
Except for illegal aliens, nothing till a week from today...

Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Except for illegal aliens, nothing till a week from today...
Great! Thx.

Back to Sleep.

https://cnn.com/2018/10/07/world/cli...wxc/index.html

Yes, sir. We will be smoking hot.

Google Slate vs Microsoft Surface.

No country has any real policies to affect the global warming. Yeah. It will be solved by anyone else. You know. These guys over there. Yes. They will solve so we can go on.

No ice left by 2100?

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
No ice left by 2100?
That I see as the biggest problem with any environmentalist movement. It's all about saving the polar bears and snow leopards. Cute as they may be, no one gives a damn.

Now they want to limit the warming to 1.5°C to limit the flooding of Pacific islands. Again, they are taking it from a completely wrong angle.

Why? Because both causes assume that they can persuade the target audience to care about anything other than themselves. To take action, inconvenience themselves, change their lifestyle, eat less meat, walk instead of driving, agree to pay more tax, more for fuel and energy, and all of that for what? The polar bears? Some Polynesians? Who gives a damn?

A completely wrong angle is what I say. The three golden rules for influencing Joe Public are:
1) Joe Public is selfish
2) Joe Public is lazy
3) Joe Public is stupid

If you want to persuade Joe Public, do not talk to him how climate change is going to affect the polar bear. Tell him how it is going to affect him. In clear terms, shamelessly taking advantage of his selfishness, laziness, stupidity and of course xenophobia and paranoia.

Climate change? It means expanding deserts. It means heavier monsoons. It means flooded coastal areas. What do those things mean? It means a lot of displaced people. It means regional conflicts that may easily escalate globally. It means refugees. Where will they all go? Show Mrs Jones that some of them may end coming to knock on her door. Mrs Jones is xenophobic. She will not like it. She may even start walking half a block to the shops instead of driving there, just to keep those foreigners away.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
That I see as the biggest problem with any environmentalist movement. It's all about saving the polar bears and snow leopards. Cute as they may be, no one gives a damn.

Now they want to limit the warming to 1.5°C to limit the flooding of Pacific islands. Again, they are taking it from a completely wrong angle.

Why? Because both causes assume that they can persuade the target audience to care about anything other than themselves. To take action, inconvenience themselves, change their lifestyle, eat less meat, walk instead of driving, agree to pay more tax, more for fuel and energy, and all of that for what? The polar bears? Some Polynesians? Who gives a damn?

A completely wrong angle is what I say. The three golden rules for influencing Joe Public are:
1) Joe Public is selfish
2) Joe Public is lazy
3) Joe Public is stupid

If you want to persuade Joe Public, do not talk to him how climate change is going to affect the polar bear. Tell him how it is going to affect him. In clear terms, shamelessly taking advantage of his selfishness, laziness, stupidity and of course xenophobia and paranoia.

Climate change? It means expanding deserts. It means heavier monsoons. It means flooded coastal areas. What do those things mean? It means a lot of displaced people. It means regional conflicts that may easily escalate globally. It means refugees. Where will they all go? Show Mrs Jones that some of them may end coming to knock on her door. Mrs Jones is xenophobic. She will not like it. She may even start walking half a block to the shops instead of driving there, just to keep those foreigners away.
Polar bears are already dead. They just don’t know it yet.

You are absolutely right. How do we make it more inconvenient for poeple, families, countries?
And at the same time increased population with 2,3 billions @2050.

If you travel the world you will see what has happend the last 10 years. Not good.

Or we just wait for the next ice age. Ice age 5. But then, we lose the last mountain gorillas.

Last edited by Dave999; 2018-10-10 at 21:15.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Perfecto!
Not really a question to Mr Webb. But how does he think that Alien life with be found with future telescopes? Does he really belive we will find em with telescopes and if so what kind and when?
Hi. Well, I have to admit I was a bit disappointed by the talk. Too much time spent on past achievements in astrophysics and not enough about what is planned for the use of telescope and what impact it could have. Maybe they don't know yet. Anyways, in regards to alien life, the speaker briefly talked about trying to identify planets that might support life. But I thought that discussion was, like most of the presentation, pretty shallow. I think the speaker tried to discuss too many things and, in the end, he pretty much said nothing. Sorry, if I got hopes up on insights on discovering alien life...

Last edited by mscion; 2018-10-12 at 18:35.

Tags
countdown, dooms_day, specc is the, troll ericsson