Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
Honestly, the sale of the Jolla tablets on Taobao is the final nail in the coffin of anyone else getting their tablets. Even if Jolla had the money to pay the supplier at this stage, the tablets won't exist as they'll soon be sold on Taobao. At this stage, no investor is going to want to invest in a company where they'd have to pay the costs of manufacturing tablets for orders where the money has already been received and spent.
You seem to be unaware of the way most manufacturing business is done in china.
When some device manufacturing is subcontracted to a factory, there will be a number of devices made for the customer, to the specification. However, the company can and will make batches of the same device for domestic market "moonlighting", these devices will often be exactly like the official brand devices, except of course come with no warranty whatsoever.
This is why there are so many domestic-market-iPhones in China for example. The same goes for everything, from cameras to cars.

Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
Jolla the company are utterly dead now. The next steps for Jolla have to be bankruptcy and a liquidation. I'd expect this to happen very soon. The Sailfish OS IP will be up for sale - I cannot see commercial interest in it. However, there is a chance for the community to buy it. Does anyone care enough at this stage, or will the IP just rot on some server like Maemo did?
It's not looking that bad yet

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by att View Post
Have Jolla's intellectual properties been stolen
In China it is called sharing, IP is never stolen there.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
I know a company who fell from marketleader to zero by ignoring the smartphone trend for long time, so...
And that mysterious ex-market leader would be...?

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
I think smarelopches have already filled their niche with the original pebble - a remote for your phone.
As far as I am concerned, that is their main drawback. Give me a waterproof watch with a camera that works autonomously and I will consider it. Watches that are mere extensions of the phone are pointless toys for rich kids.

"We have received financing to continue Sailfish OS development from our investors.", Antti said.
___
list of i486/noarch packages on openrepos (jolla tablet)

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Well, color me surprised. Antti Saarnio is currently talking on IRC, and has "good news" (most of which will be delivered tomorrow in a media delivery / blog posting?). But, in short, Jolla's gotten some amount of financing.

EDIT: And, of course, I'm scooped by velox.

EDIT2: As for tablets:
<+AnttiSaarnio> We only got the financing confirmed yesterday, and we are now busy analysing different alternatives what to do with TabletGate
<+AnttiSaarnio> We will have a board meeting after Christmas which is to decide between alternatives.
<+AnttiSaarnio> Options are: refunding or to continue with tablets, but then even more delays are to be expected.
EDIT3:
<+AnttiSaarnio> Intex project will continue, we have confirmed that yesterday and there will be new Sailfish phone coming.
EDIT4: On the tablets being sold by taobao:
<+AnttiSaarnio> yes, nothing to do with Jolla, but it seems that our production partner from China started selling some tables which were already produced and in their stock. We are discussing with them that they would stop sales immeadiately
EDIT5: Slightly more detail on financing:
<+AnttiSaarnio> The financing is solid, but we are still very tight. Important is that big partners are starting to support us in China, India and Russia

Last edited by Copernicus; 2015-12-17 at 14:53.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 2,004 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ Fin
From mer-meeting:
<AnttiSaarnio>: We have received financing to continue Sailfish OS development from our investors. THIS means that reports about Jolla's death are greatly exaggerated
More info in blog post tomorrow.

will that damn Jolla tablet be delivered to all backers? Or can all backers get a refund?

I switch to Lumia for PureView and will never look back

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by eekkelund View Post
From mer-meeting:

More info in blog post tomorrow.
That is indeed great news given that the it also includes the tablet shipment.

Hope for tablet invite and more snow tomorrow. Sail on.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
That is indeed great news given that the it also includes the tablet shipment.

Hope for tablet invite and more snow tomorrow. Sail on.
Think I want snow more than I want a tablet, can you send me some please?

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund