Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
If this is done, Mer would be the only distro I know that does this. Is the build overhead added by Fortran _that_ significant?

If I end up doing it this way, I will eventually submit the source package to OBS, so the net result is that that there's duplication of work (because now gcc-{c,c++} is built twice). Right?
Yes, it's that significant

Mer uses OBS and dependency based rebuilds. When bootstrapping or when updating very low level packages gcc is rebuilt many times as dependency loops are resolved (think rpm uses libstdc but libstdc needs rpm to build ... same for bash, utils, bison ...). FWIW this is very similar to gcc's internal multi-phase compile cycle.

Adding a single additional fortran build on the top is negliglble compared to that.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lbt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
See the Update on SailfishOS roadmap for 2015 :
* toolchain updates - we are working towards upgrading to GCC 4.8, binutils 2.25, switch to Thumb2+NEON for ARM by default, march=i686 and SSE2 minimum for X86
So please, if possible, include gfortran 4.8. It would be useful to make possible the community to package :
- NumPy with Fortran support (to speed up some calculations);
- Scipy;
- R;
- Octave;
- etc.
With Jolla Tablet more users will want to run desktop OS softwares, like IPython Notebook with NumPy/SciPy, R, Octave, TeX/LaTeX, etc. Sailfish OS on Jolla Tablet can be the best mobile OS for education & scientific use.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2015-01-16 at 14:38.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
is Fortran already included (or community ported)? I am wondering how difficult is to port apps, and among others, for me GNU Octave is a must have for a mobile phone. But as for scipy or R, gfortran is needed.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to antviro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Germany
I know this is an older thread, but is there any news on this? Is there really NO possibility to get a FORTRAN compiler into SailfishOS without mer shipping it?
I reallly, really do miss R on the phone... :-(
That was extremely handy on the N9...

Last edited by NobodyInPerson; 2017-01-14 at 08:03.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NobodyInPerson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NobodyInPerson View Post
I know this is an older thread, but is there any news on this? Is there really NO possibility to get a FORTRAN compiler into SailfishOS without mer shipping it?
I reallly, really do miss R on the phone... :-(
That was extremely handy on the N9...
like it was stated before.
its not impossible, but GCC, C++ etc will be rebuild, even when chosing only fortran.
This will create overlay packages of standard C compilers and libraries.
Now, a plausible solution is to rebuild, using exact same version that is in Jolla, but creating an install package, with only fortran.
Plausible, but not straight-forawrd, and may give issues still resolving conflicts, as a build fortan package on mer would still claim dependency on mer build of gcc, g++ etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
like it was stated before.
its not impossible, but GCC, C++ etc will be rebuild, even when chosing only fortran.
This will create overlay packages of standard C compilers and libraries.
Now, a plausible solution is to rebuild, using exact same version that is in Jolla, but creating an install package, with only fortran.
Plausible, but not straight-forawrd, and may give issues still resolving conflicts, as a build fortan package on mer would still claim dependency on mer build of gcc, g++ etc.
Thanks for the explanation, now I understand it better.
Well then let's hope someone is able to do that.
I am really not proficient in compiling compilers :-S

Last edited by NobodyInPerson; 2017-01-14 at 08:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to NobodyInPerson For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the explanation, now I understand it better.
Well then let's hope someone is able to do that.
I am really not proficient in compiling compilers :-S
I will give it a shot today, no promises

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
I'm not sure if this really what you are asking for, but if you simple want to write and compile a fortran code that is not using system functions of the phone you can try using the android app GNURoot Debian on your Jolla device. I wrote a simple Hello Word code and it compiled and worked fine.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
I'm not sure if this really what you are asking for, but if you simple want to write and compile a fortran code that is not using system functions of the phone you can try using the android app GNURoot Debian on your Jolla device. I wrote a simple Hello Word code and it compiled and worked fine.
This works indeed! You can actually even install r-base and use R.
Though awkward to run a virtual Debian in a virtual Android on your Sailfish phone... Whatta lotta overhead!

Last edited by NobodyInPerson; 2017-01-14 at 08:02.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NobodyInPerson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
This works indeed! You can actually even install r-base and use R.
Though awkward to run a virtual Debian in a virtual Android on your Sailfish phone... Whatta lotta overhead!
Yup. This is really sick! lol

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post: