Poll: What advanced text entry method(s) would you like to see on Sailfish?
Poll Options
What advanced text entry method(s) would you like to see on Sailfish?

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by eber42 View Post
Sorry for this lame teaser.

I'd like to release this as an open source project, but at the moment i'm not comfortable with the patent issue (i'm interested in any advice on this topic)
I live in a country outside the US (and without software patents), so should i just find a code hosting service with no relation with the US ?

Maybe i am too paranoid
Now I am not an expert on SW patents, but AFAIK there can be no problems whatsoever when something that is patented is released as open source / free software.

Patents are only enforceable if you are making money on the product.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
You mean something like this ?
(but it's not as good as the original yet)
Very impressive! I'm eager to try it.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Sorry for this lame teaser.

I'd like to release this as an open source project, but at the moment i'm not comfortable with the patent issue (i'm interested in any advice on this topic)
I live in a country outside the US (and without software patents), so should i just find a code hosting service with no relation with the US ?

Maybe i am too paranoid
Regarding being paranoid Well, I would also. As what concerns GPL/Open Source/Patents - Iam also not a lawyer, but I do see some concerns - there is a good writing on this here

https://www.fenwick.com/FenwickDocum...ent_Rights.pdf

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Video doesn't work on my Jolla. :-(

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnHughes For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Regarding being paranoid Well, I would also. As what concerns GPL/Open Source/Patents - Iam also not a lawyer, but I do see some concerns - there is a good writing on this here

https://www.fenwick.com/FenwickDocum...ent_Rights.pdf
That is a good document, but as I see it has been written from the point-of-view of an US based law firm, it holds only in the US (just as it says on the final caption, "there's no such thing as a world-wide patent")

Also, the point-of-view in the document is on the decision of commercial entity, whether to patent or to GPL a feature/program.

As long as you are not going to make money/commercialize on a product, it is always allowed to make a clean-room implementation of a program/feature. That right cannot be taken away from you.
(this means, of course, that you write it yourself from scratch or use for example GPL'ed components. No peeking in the source code of the original implementation allowed )

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
wow, good or not, i want it NOW
any infos about release or so ?

Originally Posted by JohnHughes View Post
use LLs vPlayer and search for "magic keyboard for Jolla"

Originally Posted by cvp View Post
wow, good or not, i want it NOW
Really stunning, indeed!

The Following User Says Thank You to magullo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
I want to test it now! Looking good!

Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by JohnHughes View Post
Use LLs vPLAYER

http://www.uspto.gov/ip/global/enforcement/

"The Enforcement Team's mission is to improve intellectual property protection and enforcement domestically and abroad. Since the rights granted by a U.S. patent extend only throughout the territory of the United States and have no effect in a foreign country, an inventor who wishes patent protection in other countries must apply for a patent in each of the other countries or in regional patent offices. Almost every country has its own patent law, and a person desiring a patent in a particular country must make an application for patent in that country, in accordance with the requirements of that country"

Tags
bettertxtentry, huntnpeck sucks, okboard, sailfish, swype