Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
For me it was N900 > Jolla > Jolla > Jolla
Still all phones are in use.

But i had to realize that trying to improve usability by utilizing two or three Jollas is as effective as trying to drill a 10 inch hole with three 5 inch drill heads...

Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
My nick predates Android by several years.
Very
Just now i realized having slashed thousends of androids playing CounterStrike back then. Feels rewarding, thank you.

Now your nick just needs to be reinterpreted as "Android not available, double 404".

I think your friends 8 0 8 suggestion is drawn from this iconic instrument, right?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
N900 -> then I put a twin SIM card in a Geeksphone Peak -> the N900 gsm module gets detached from the motherboard in 2013 and the Geeksphone(firefoxOS) became the main phone Then saved by Jolla in January 2014. I love my Jolla phone and Tablet, but still play around with other phones . My twin SIM card now lives in a bq Aquaris E4.5 Ubuntu Edition, and my bq Aquaris M10 Ubuntu Edition Tablet is already shipped and may arrive any moment .
I now and then turn on the N900 just for fun. It's no longer a phone but can still be used as a mail reader, music/podcast player, terminal and other interesting stuff..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to f&f For This Useful Post:
Posts: 509 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Mexico/Germany
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Hmmm....
"Luke! I'am your father!"

The Following User Says Thank You to chilango For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Nokia N900>Xperia SP>Xperia Z>BB Z10 (loved both OS and phone)>Galaxy S4 and now thinking of buying one N9. Still love this phone both OS and Design. But i still have my N900 and running on latest Thumb version.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Well, if we REALLY start nitpicking there's plenty of devices that run Linux, it is just that they are lacking GNU/Linux.
Meh. I prefer actual free Linux, not the subset where Richard Stallman forces you to put his own personal prefix onto the name.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Just now i realized having slashed thousends of androids playing CounterStrike back then. Feels rewarding, thank you.

Now your nick just needs to be reinterpreted as "Android not available, double 404".

I think your friends 8 0 8 suggestion is drawn from this iconic instrument, right?
808 is just from Rob. Actually played CS (CS:GO actually) for the first time the other day. I remember defuse kit being on 5, apparently not now. Got kicked trying to find it.

I am considering a RPi3 + official touchscreen. Its the same resolution as N900 IIRC so it might be helpful to my pet project, the very slow process of porting Hildon to GTK3. Ideally I'd like to get another N900 but I'm a bit worried about ordering off eBay in case of issue with telephony or USB. Secondly I don't know what performance would be like running it on an actual N900. Only one way to find out I suppose...

I did nearly pre-order the Jolla phone a few years back but wasn't sure at the time. Same with the tablet (was going to go Phone+64G package) but was worried in case it went belly up...good call.

Currently toying with Fairphone 2, but waiting to see if official Sailfish support actually happens. Also considering a GPD Win to have something unique and to have a complete desktop OS stack when out and about in a tiny form factor.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Meh. I prefer actual free Linux, not the subset where Richard Stallman forces you to put his own personal prefix onto the name.
You are of course free to choose your userland
What do you prefer then, BSD perhaps?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
BSD is no Linux. BSD is proper Unix!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
but I'm a bit worried about ordering off eBay in case of issue with telephony or USB. .
I would ask @explit to help getting one from here.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/222000347941?_mwBanner=0

They only ship to Germany, but explit was very helpful reshipping for me.
I and explit both confirmed it as bring new and in perfect condition.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
You are of course free to choose your userland
What do you prefer then, BSD perhaps?
Oh, I certainly enjoy the products that were created under Stallman's leadership. But I also enjoy the works of Torvalds, as well as those produced at Berkeley, MIT, Bell Labs, and many other places. All these folks have had a hand in producing the modern crop of Unix or Unix-like operating systems; and make no mistake, whether or not actual code has propagated between various versions of Unix, all of them have influenced each other significantly.

I simply find the efforts of one man to try and control the world of open source software to be uncomfortable. I don't want Pierogi to start being called GNU/Pierogi, even though I currently license it under the GPL. Until Linus Torvalds himself changes the name of Linux to GNU/Linux, I will continue to call it just Linux.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900, successor