Active Topics

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I could not find an Xperia subforum so I am posting here.

I dropped my Xperia X (running Sailfish) on the (wooden) floor from about 90 cm (3 feet). It switched off and would not turn back on. I plugged in the charger and it came back to life, only to show the charging screen saying it was empty. Strange, since it had recently been fully charged. I expected 99-100%.

I took it out of the flip case and found the back peeling a bit. I opened it and found the battery dislodged. That made sense since the battery had been replaced once and I had not glued it in place like it was originally. Phew, that explains the empty battery!

After a bit of effort, I managed to snap the connector back in place (it's tiny and extremely fiddly) and pressed the power button. Nothing. Oh, bummer. The last act of desperation, plug in the charger. Yaaaay, it booted up fine. Everything seems to be working, including the power button. That's a relief.

However, the battery status is stuck on 20%. I had it on the charger for about 30 minutes, no change. I have been using it, no change either. Still 20%. When I plug in the charger, it says "charging", but that's about it.

It may be a hardware fault but I suspect (or should I say, hope?) that plugging in the charger while the battery was disconnected may have messed up the power calibration and all I need is recalibrating it. Can anyone confirm? Has something similar happened to you? Do you know how to calibrate it? Is it just a matter of letting the battery fully drain and then charge it up again, like it was in good old N900 days?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I could not find an Xperia subforum so I am posting here.

I dropped my Xperia X (running Sailfish) on the (wooden) floor from about 90 cm (3 feet). It switched off and would not turn back on. I plugged in the charger and it came back to life, only to show the charging screen saying it was empty. Strange, since it had recently been fully charged. I expected 99-100%.

I took it out of the flip case and found the back peeling a bit. I opened it and found the battery dislodged. That made sense since the battery had been replaced once and I had not glued it in place like it was originally. Phew, that explains the empty battery!

After a bit of effort, I managed to snap the connector back in place (it's tiny and extremely fiddly) and pressed the power button. Nothing. Oh, bummer. The last act of desperation, plug in the charger. Yaaaay, it booted up fine. Everything seems to be working, including the power button. That's a relief.

However, the battery status is stuck on 20%. I had it on the charger for about 30 minutes, no change. I have been using it, no change either. Still 20%. When I plug in the charger, it says "charging", but that's about it.

It may be a hardware fault but I suspect (or should I say, hope?) that plugging in the charger while the battery was disconnected may have messed up the power calibration and all I need is recalibrating it. Can anyone confirm? Has something similar happened to you? Do you know how to calibrate it? Is it just a matter of letting the battery fully drain and then charge it up again, like it was in good old N900 days?
Hi there
Had that problem on mine and it had hardware problem. Hope yours is fixable
Try some of the ideas i read (on Android)
https://forum.xda-developers.com/x-c...ck-20-t3854039
https://www.intellectsoft.net/blog/a...attery-status/
https://www.reddit.com/r/SonyXperia/..._20_for_my_z5/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by deutch1976 View Post
Thanks!

Hmm. That one just says unplug the battery and plug it back in again. That's what I did.

The second one is too esoteric for me. I have no idea what it is on about. Never used adb, not would I know where to start. If I really had to go down that route, I would rather buy a new phone.

The last link did not any useful suggestion. "Use a different charger". "Tried it, did not help." Well, duh.

Have you tried letting it go below 20% charge, maybe even the 10% low battery warning? Battery low levels can be monitored based on voltage output so if it starts dropping off it might trigger something and reset the calibration.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to suicidal_orange For This Useful Post:
Hi there
Had that problem on mine and it had hardware problem. Hope yours is fixable
https://www.intellectsoft.net/blog/a...attery-status/
https://www.reddit.com/r/SonyXperia/..._20_for_my_z5/
Tha adb trick is very simple and very easy to perform. You can test it with phone on and see if the values change

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
With my experience with device repairs there is 90% chance the charge IC on the motherboard is damaged.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trzyzet For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by suicidal_orange View Post
Have you tried letting it go below 20% charge, maybe even the 10% low battery warning? Battery low levels can be monitored based on voltage output so if it starts dropping off it might trigger something and reset the calibration.
Well if it is "stuck" you cannot let it run to 10% since it always shows the same 20%...?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Tha adb trick is very simple and very easy to perform. You can test it with phone on and see if the values change
I think to do that you'd need to have android running on the device?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by suicidal_orange View Post
Have you tried letting it go below 20% charge, maybe even the 10% low battery warning?
I am trying to drain it as we speak. The accident happened last night, very soon after I took it off the charger fully charged. So it may take a while to drain it.

If that does not help, the I will try to open it again and re-plug the battery as per deutch1976's first link. Maybe there is a speck of dirt stuck in the connector or something like that.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I think to do that you'd need to have android running on the device?
Yes. Forgot to mention that

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post: