Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
Originally Posted by LouisDK View Post
I have a cons with the original Jolla Tablet. I was wondering if any of these are fixed in the design of Youyota. I doubt it, but you never know.

1. The tablet takes a long time to fully charged. Despite being powered down and connected to a wall charger it takes about an hour to charge 10%.

2. If I stress it (eg. play an Android game like Uno & Friends) the tablet becomes quite hot and within 15 min. will get a warning to close all apps.

3. And it's power hungry too. It's not uncommon to close 10% charge while playing for 5 minutes.
I can confirm 2. and 3. but definitely not 1. You have a problem here on your tablet, your charger or your cable. I would start to look at the charger.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jordi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Forgot to mention also there won't be using a sim tool/pin to release sim/sd card. The modern smartphones are ABSOLUTELY STUPID. I don't know why everyone follows Apple that you need to carry a pin just for swapping sim card. Or they never travel?

Anyway I wish I never use that stupid pin again*.

*Maybe as a tooth pick...
I did not even know that such thing existed. Apple.

Well, if your reference is the Lauta, I'm not too concerned about this kind of stupid things. Of course I never handled the device, but the N9 and N950 were well designed and we know already that you are not going to add locks and limitations everywhere just for the sake of it. Like Aegis crap in Harmattan, although using Harmattan felt so good, or Apple SIM pins.

The Lauta was really a beautiful piece of hardware by the way (these round edges not only of the phone itself, but also of the keyboard casing), perfect size (but I do get your point about the 5", no worries, we'll just have to get bigger pockets). I don't think you could go wrong with that device in mind, even though I realize when you mention the Lauta, you mean "hardware keyboard + non-Android" rather than really the Lauta design. I know yours won't be the same thing, and yet I'm eagerly looking forward.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2017-07-13 at 22:19.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
...I don't know why everyone follows Apple...
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
I did not even know that such thing existed. Apple.
I know you are joking, but welcome to profit reality.

Livermorium does not even need to fear the comparison, because you are doing some major things right compared to Apple, having few deciders and a clear red line for one.
You only need to take over Jolla at some point to have your own OS and BAAM, the world is yours

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Be careful with metal parts on the Lauta. The N950 was practically unusable as a phone because as soon as you took the device in your hand, the cellular connection collapsed, unless you had a really strong signal.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Perked a t-shirt. Will it be eventually shipped with the tablet?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to magullo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Be careful with metal parts on the Lauta. The N950 was practically unusable as a phone because as soon as you took the device in your hand, the cellular connection collapsed, unless you had a really strong signal.
A clever antenna design will avoid this.
Phones nowadays are almost completely out of metal and have no problems.

2x N900 - both for sale, 1x in mint condition with a qwerty keyboard (with box and all accessories) and 1x in used condition with qwertz keyboard. PM me[/B]

1x N9 16GB cyan, made in Finland - for sale PM me

1x Jolla - for sale PM me

iPhone SE - lost

iPhone 7 - 128GB
Surface Pro 4 M3 - Win10 is buggy...
Lenovo Thinkpad W520 - Xubuntu
Lenovo Thinkpad X200 - Libreboot and Trisquel

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to NX500 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
I know you are joking, but welcome to profit reality.
https://boygeniusreport.files.wordpr...ng-768x481.jpg

Livermorium does not even need to fear the comparison, because you are doing some major things right compared to Apple, having few deciders and a clear red line for one.
You only need to take over Jolla at some point to have your own OS and BAAM, the world is yours
I'm not sure that the straight comparison between Apple and Samsung is fair. Apple phones have their own OS, Samsung is using Android, and thus Samsung sales are influenced by other Android competitors, including cheaper ones. Apple built an ecosystem with no competition, if they convince people with their fancy well-marketed hardware and stolen patents, they reinforce the monopole since those new users will get locked in iOS; if they convince people with their software, then they secure the monopole as well as those people are looking for iOS and can only buy Apple.

It would be better to compare Apple and, let's say, Jolla when it was still a software and hardware company. But then. Wait.
(And regardless of what the profit figures would look like, I would still pick Jolla and Sailfish without the slightest hesitation.)

However, seeing how symmetric Apple and Samsung curves are on the plot, then it might actually be a fair comparison. I'm changing my mind: they look pretty much totally inversely correlated so forget the above ********.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2017-07-14 at 09:48.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by LouisDK View Post
1. The tablet takes a long time to fully charged. Despite being powered down and connected to a wall charger it takes about an hour to charge 10%.
charging perfectly for me. make sure to get good branded charger with 2A output. You just can't charge 4500 mAh battery quickly with poor power source. 4500 / 2000 = 2.25 hours to charge 0-100% with 2A charger. If you use poor charger time can be multiplied by 2-3.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by willi6868 View Post
You will find some more information about the battery issue at TJC here and here.

I don't know if it also contains the kernel sources but the SFOS sources are uploaded here:
Thanks for the links. Sadly, there are no low-level traces there. So I guess the only option is buying and hoping for the best.

If it's a SW problem, I'm pretty will be able to work around it. What worries me is that it could be a HW issue, in the sense of the SoC not being able to put all devices to sleep or a similar issue.

Crossing my fingers!

The Following User Says Thank You to slp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 1,007 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
Has somebody tested how long the tablet lasts playing back videos?
Longer than 4 hours?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macros For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfish os