Notices

works well on my volvo S40
the fact that I didn't like pyOBD is because it reads only a very few sensors and there are no graphs/graphics
Perhaps if you look at an older version of carman you might find lots of sensor readings in there.
it's the last one for OS 2006
http://openbossa.indt.org/carman/ins...ldversion.html

Keep codin'

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by p900 View Post
works well on my volvo S40
the fact that I didn't like pyOBD is because it reads only a very few sensors and there are no graphs
Carman only reads about 8 sensor. pyOBD reads several of them, depending on your car. On my smart, most of the sensor page is enabled and it reads all of them. I'm pretty sure pyOBD auto-detects what sensors it can get from your car, then shows them and updates them. If you're not seeing many (25+) active on your car, it's probably because your car doesn't support reading those in the same place the script is looking for them.

Volvo are great cars, but they're known for tweaking and customizing everything... including OBDII codes. smart does that too, but still accepts most of the older commands as well. The down-side for me is that lots of the "warning" codes show up as errors in pyOBD, and have no description, since they're manufacturer custom. I have an excel sheet somewhere with those though, and will add them (& upload them?) onceI find that again. It's on one of those thumbdrives... in that box over there... I think.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Carman only reads about 8 sensor. pyOBD reads several of them, depending on your car. On my smart, most of the sensor page is enabled and it reads all of them. I'm pretty sure pyOBD auto-detects what sensors it can get from your car, then shows them and updates them. If you're not seeing many (25+) active on your car, it's probably because your car doesn't support reading those in the same place the script is looking for them.

Volvo are great cars, but they're known for tweaking and customizing everything... including OBDII codes. smart does that too, but still accepts most of the older commands as well. The down-side for me is that lots of the "warning" codes show up as errors in pyOBD, and have no description, since they're manufacturer custom. I have an excel sheet somewhere with those though, and will add them (& upload them?) onceI find that again. It's on one of those thumbdrives... in that box over there... I think.
I am talking about the oldest version of carman which was running on nokia 770 and it's for OS 2006 and not the version of carman which was ported for N900 too. That old version was reading maybe more than 100 sensors.
I still have it on my Nokia 770 and I can make a video to show how it works and what sensors it reads and almost all work for my car.

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by p900 View Post
there are no graphs/graphics
I think this is one of those things where it's hardly fair to dislike something just because it is not something else.

pyOBD is what was adapted to the N900 in this case, (and more successfully than any previous BT OBD package). It is diagnostic-oriented, not dashboard/driving oriented & works well. If Carman had already been ported successfully to the N900, pyOBD would still be a great application because its objective is different.

Just to show that tastes can differ even as far as the packaging of a particular application, I think that Carman becomes less effective by its slant toward heavily stylized graphics - its information would be better conveyed with larger, simpler windowed digital readouts which would make not only for faster perception, but allow more outputs to be displayed simultaneously. At the size of the N900 screen, two pseudo-analog gauges eat up a lot of real estate costing reduced readability that could have been more effectively used with even four or six simplified digital readouts.

There is already a Carman thread, if you would like to attempt to resurrect interest in Carman. But pyOBD is dstinct & not inferior to Carman's objective - which is still unachieved on the N900, also.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
I think this is one of those things where it's hardly fair to dislike something just because it is not something else.

pyOBD is what was adapted to the N900 in this case, (and more successfully than any previous BT OBD package). It is diagnostic-oriented, not dashboard/driving oriented & works well. If Carman had already been ported successfully to the N900, pyOBD would still be a great application because its objective is different.

Just to show that tastes can differ even as far as the packaging of a particular application, I think that Carman becomes less effective by its slant toward heavily stylized graphics - its information would be better conveyed with larger, simpler windowed digital readouts which would make not only for faster perception, but allow more outputs to be displayed simultaneously. At the size of the N900 screen, two pseudo-analog gauges eat up a lot of real estate costing reduced readability that could have been more effectively used with even four or six simplified digital readouts.

There is already a Carman thread, if you would like to attempt to resurrect interest in Carman. But pyOBD is dstinct & not inferior to Carman's objective - which is still unachieved on the N900, also.
Another opinion without knowing what carman for OS2006 is.
I repeat more clearly. the oldest version of carman, yes it had graphics AND it could read hundreds of sensors in comparison to pyOBD which reads only a few of them.
What I am trying to do here is to help the author of pyOBD get some more information in order to improve pyOBD if he can look into the source code of the OLD carman.

Looking at source code of other Open (that version of Carman was open) is always good idea.

On the other hand, I don't quite believe those "100 sensors". It sounds just like different interpretations of same code.

Of course I may be wrong.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Looking at source code of other Open (that version of Carman was open) is always good idea.
Not as easy as it seems
tilt2control : control mediaplayer by tilting your n900.
gpstracker-c : easy handle your gpstracker tk102.
pyOBD for maemo (OBD-II cars diagnostic)

The Following User Says Thank You to m750 For This Useful Post:
More details, please? Are the recognized codes obfuscated somehow?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
It is not so easy looking at source code of other programs and i have only adapted pyOBD to work whit n900. Changing source code much more complex.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m750 For This Useful Post:
Of course I understand, and I'm not demanding anything. Yet, keep in mind, that I've meant only checking supported codes, not reverse-engineering Carman functions (i like pyOBD more).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-