What is the point if u have good coverage if you can't hold your phone the way you want. lol.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
No ads, no carrier subsidies, no real presence in North America other than the lower end, "freebies" and a serious lack of distribution - two stores, one of which closed down and no N-series sales in any of the biggest electronics store chains?

Unsubsidized, unlocked phones are a non-factor to the non-migrating consumer - which, is pretty damn high, higher than those that cry out for freedom, bring their own phone to the table and get no lesser price on any data or call plans nor early termination fee. In fact, unlocked phones in the US guarantee absolutely nothing outside of T-Mobile's pricing... but even they still have too many holes in their coverage and are 4th largest for a reason (and I live rural enough to know that their coverage does not still include me).

Unlocked needs to mean more in the US - presently it means more money on the phone, same price on the plans.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
How is this a complete blocker? I use my N900 on T-Mobile in the US, and I could not be happier with the service.
As someone who IS on T-Mobile, why would you pose that kind of rebuttal to his point? Try using AT&T or anything outside of T-Mobile and then come back to explain how it's not a complete blocker. Maybe you're right, but pointing out that you're on T-Mobile sort of invalidates your own statement given the context of his.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
If the US had adopted a uniform standard then there wouldn't be any problem. Instead of competing on value for money and service, US carriers "compete" on different frequencies.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
If the US had adopted a uniform standard then there wouldn't be any problem. Instead of competing on value for money and service, US carriers "compete" on different frequencies.
You may be right, but how does that further the conversation regarding Nokia's failure against competitors in the US markets? Clearly, they're succeeding over Nokia--how?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
A MeeGo handset on Verizon.

Something about that just doesn't sound right.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
In Houston, I get 7-9mbps data on 3g.

here's an average. beat this at&t

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
So it's only okay for Nokia to be unique? I'd hate to suggest looking at doing business in mainland China. They're just as varied and can be quite limiting.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 62 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ New York City
Yeah, I have an unlocked E71 I purchased at Best Buy two years ago November 2008 and have been using it on AT&T. I bought it to replace an HTC WinMo smartphone from Cingular, the 3125 also known as the Qtek (nice phone poor support from HTC). On August 31, 2010 I ordered an N900 from Nokia's website and two days later it arrived. I was always dumbfounded at the decision by Nokia not to include all the data frequencies on the N900 so that it could use the AT&T 3G like the E71 which works on most if not all US carriers GSM frequencies. That is what kept me from buying it when it was introduced, but I finally broke down and bought it. I use the Wi-fi instead of 3G so I miss having 3G everywhere I go but it is what I wanted. Too bad Nokia does not listen to the community's gripes since this phone would have been even better with Quad band 3G frequencies instead of Tri band frequencies. Also it definitely shoud have had at the minimum, the 1500 mah battery from the E71. Both of these phones are similar in overall size, the N900 is only about a twice as thick as the E71. I believe unlocked, Quad band GSM (Voice), Quad band Data (High speed access), a higher capacity battery and strong (USB and others) ports and a decent OS, be it Maemo, MeeGo, whatever would have made the N900 a more well rounded product. Nokia has too many different model phones some of which are redundant. They need to concentrate on fewer models and go back to basic PIM (Calendar, Contacts, Tasks (To do's), messages) synchronization compatible with whatever is popular (Outlook, Open Office etc.). They also need to improve their product support as well, just read some of the posts around here and you will know what I mean. Sorry for the long post but yeah, I agree, Nokia is failing miserably here in the US. Until the next post, see ya ! and continue to enjoy your N900, or other phone ! I will try to enjoy mine !

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
A MeeGo handset on Verizon.

Something about that just doesn't sound right.
No way - Verizon locks everything in it's phones. Until they change a business paradigm there is no way for MeeGo/Maemo in Verizon.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post: