Originally Posted by chaoscreater View Post
Ya while this is cool but it's nothing new to make people go "WOW" enough. This is already available 6 years ago, where you can control TVs at school with a phone like the Sony Ericsson K750i by using infrared.

iPhone can actually do the same thing, with an external hardware attached to it, but ya i'm just pointing this out.
I would love to see a link to this 'hardware' as my sis owns an iphone, and she'll just love to hear this..

Originally Posted by chaoscreater View Post
I never said anything about the USB part.......you said that yourself. I was talking about just the iPhone, not the N900. Quotes from you:

The thing is, N900 is open source and is encouraged to hack or do whatever you want to it. Sure there is still a few limitations as to how far you can access the system but it's generally open, hell they provided wiki documents on how to overclock, change the voltages etc......

So ya, warranty is all good in this case, which is what's cool about the N900 coz of its open source.

As to answer your questions, while those can be true, but it's not worth their time and effort. I've hacked many devices before, ranging from:

Wii, PS2, PS3, XBOX360, PSP, Ipod Touch, Windows Mobile, UIQ3, Android, DS.

And every one of those scenes are still alive and growing strong. Developers will never win this war against hackers, no matter how you look at it. There're always people out there doing the impossible, and making this awesome for pirates like us.

It's not like this matters anymore anyway, Apple lost the lawsuit to fight against jailbreaking. We win. What more can you say?

And really, i'd like to hear exactly what Apple can do, or what you would do. Block access from iTunes?? No problem, there're other programs and far better ones that does the same thing as iTunes.

Block the App Store?? LOL? U do realize warez forums contain over 100GB+ worth of apps/games that you can download?? You don't even need iTunes to sync the apps/games, you can download straight onto your iPhone and install it from there.

I'm not posting any website or trying to advertise here so i hope i'm not breaking any rules, but just to make a point, Google: AppTrackr. That site keeps up to date with almost every app you can get from the App Store.

Then, we still have the Cydia store. As well as over 100+ repos/warez forums to back this up.

Really, you just can't fight piracy, no matter what field or area you look at. Piracy is what's killing the developers, i admit. I do support them though as i still buy worth-buying games or apps or whatever. But the truth is, you can never fight or win against it.

This applies to every other platform like the PSP or DS or whatever. Same thing. They all tried, but failed.

Lastly, what i mean by being "PRO" in the scene is simply keeping up to date. It's a matter of simply reading announcement topics on what firmwares not to install etc etc. Ur exaggerating too much by saying u have to join IRC channel. I have never used it in my life and there's no need for it. It's as simple as logging into Maemo.org and keep up to date with the latest posts or news, and learn that e.g. PR 1.3 firmware will come soon.

Besides, Cydia also shows you on the front page whether you can update to a certain firmware or not.

Hell, it's a lot easier to jailbreak than doing some of the tweaks on the N900 such as overclocking. Now days, you can jailbreak with just an internet connection, no computers required.

People have been going to the Apple store to jailbreak the iPhones that were on display (including the iPhone 4s). So ya, the process is rather ridiculously fast and simple, just literally touch a button and you're done.
Err take the time to re-read my post. And try to think of things other than the iPhone (particularly with the warranty case)

1) You said who cares about warranties. I said consumers care, and listed reasons why consumers may care (for any device). Jailbreaking/rooting (for Android devices) voids these warranties.

2) Apple did not lose the war against jailbreaking. You misunderstood the court ruling (which I clearly explained in my post). The only thing they lost was the ability to say is jailbreaking is a violation of the DMCA and to sue you because of it (breaking DRM basically). That doesn't stop them from blocking you, nor does it stop them from suing you for a violation of the EULA (the end user license agreement you agree too).

3) iTunes is just one of the many attack vectors Apple can choose to use. They can bake their security functionality into wherever they want on the device. Check their recent patent filing on this. Heck they could decide to make every application in the app store add "mysterious functionality" so any app you use, pirate, or whatever could call home to Apple with a check. I can think of ways to combat this, but I can also think of ways Apple could combat the hacks too. The point is, they can make it difficult enough for users that it isn't worth the time to jailbreak or follow the jailbreaking scene. Especially if the warranty is at stake (one phone call home would mark the device as jailbroken and void the warranty for good).

4) I'm one of those proponents of hackers can't be stopped (having seen it many times on both ends) But you can make life hard for those (either through increases in areas of checks, or through legal paper) who are doing the hacking. And I'm not talking about the people who read the guide and follow the instructions. I mean the people who are actually responsible for working on the jailbreaking hacks. Most legal paper will scare away people. Combined with increasing the number of checks, there will be a point where they miss one check, and bam everyone who updated thinking they were safe have now voided their warranty.

As I said, Apple has been nice so far. There's nothing stopping them for doing more to make life difficult for the jailbreaking community if they want to. And current indications seem that they will be taking these steps.

Now does this stop the jailbreaking scene? Not really, it'll always persist. But whether it will be worth it to the average person? That's what Apple is going after.

Originally Posted by gixx View Post
What good point of iPhone without Jailbreak over N900!? Thanks
The iPhone is more usable (from a comfort and ease of usability POV).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-08-23 at 16:16.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by SavageD View Post
I would love to see a link to this 'hardware' as my sis owns an iphone, and she'll just love to hear this..
http://www.amazon.com/NewKinetix-NK1.../dp/B0038Z45IW

And for FM Transmitter:

http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Fm-Tran.../dp/B00120GMD6
They get much smaller than this.

The Following User Says Thank You to imperiallight For This Useful Post:
Posts: 145 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/34334...tch-for-iPhone

Jailbreaking is legal in some countries and Apple sure is pissed off...

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
This is a thread to list down on how better the N900 to the iphone4 (jailbreak) or what the N900 can do and the iphone 4 Jailbreak can't.

:
:
:
It is hard to arguing with him when ever I said something he said do you have proof and do you have the reference?

So I should ask the community to give me some good run down of what the Jailbreak Iphone can't do and give me a strong point to shut those iSlave people off.
:
Ha!.... well, if you want some tips... here are some from me to tell my other iphone lover that like to brag about his iphone 4.... and shut his mouth. (some others may already told u on this thread)

1) You can't replaced his Iphone 4 battery on his own... where even the most lame simple phone can do that... hahahah... That mean, if his battery died..he will be out of service for a few days while waiting for his new battery.

2) Hmm, since he said he only pay 199 for his iphone 4 (China phone)...he only have up to 8GB of memory max..where our beloved N900 can expand further.

3) Ask him to drop his phone... see if that phone can with stand the impact compare to N900.

4) Also why they need the stupid rubber casing to cover/protect their phone 4 since they claims iphone look great but you just can't show it all the time like our N900. So what the point how your iphone looks good and it is in the casing all the time. Too embarrass to show?? hahahaha

5) Iphone 4 don't have slideout keyboard ... which minimize their screen when they type. not like N900, u still can see the whole screen

6) And of course you can hold your n900 anyway you like LOL

These 6 points should shut his mouth.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by radiowc View Post
1) You can't replaced his Iphone 4 battery on his own... where even the most lame simple phone can do that... hahahah... That mean, if his battery died..he will be out of service for a few days while waiting for his new battery.
One may wonder why a replaceable battery is so important.....

Yes we can play movies on TV with N900 or iPhone, but iPhone users tend to avoid working up with their iPhone like that as they would not want to kill the battery too soon, as that mean bricking it.

To summarize....

If you're one of those who don't like being treated like a criminal just because you do the rightful thing with the device you fully paid for;

or you want to playing with your phone all day long without having to fear of killing its battery;

or don't like carrying your phone around with a condom like outfit...

Then may be N900 is more suitable for you.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Stop caring about what other people think of you, your looks, your choices, your actions... Stop thinking about them. You have better things to worry about.

Think for yourself.

Determine what's important for you and chase it with all you've got. You'll be happier that way. Nothing else matters once you're there
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
I haven't read this thread but my reply to anyone who thinks their phone is the best in the world and how owning it makes them a better person:

---> Conspicuous consumption~

Don't be a consumer whore. Enjoy what you have and don't bash other people's devices.

Posts: 112 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
Originally Posted by acvetkov View Post
Why the pointless argues? Just measure who has the biggest penis and he wins. Simple
>_<''

i dunno who'll actually do this, but just taking our ur dick to compare is kinda.....random and gross

Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
I would agree with this if it wasn't for the fact that so many people have demonstrated that they know very little about the iphone's capabilities thus creating straw men to beat down. The iphone has always had TV out and can view full web pages (not mobile) with browsers from the app store. It can run other OS's with open iboot and has had mouse and keyboard support before the n900.

And for rdesktop:
wow, this is full of win.......whoever did that is a genius. How does that work though?? Using bluetooth i assume?

Originally Posted by SavageD View Post
http://mashable.com/2010/01/04/iphone-remote-l5/

http://www.samsunghub.com/2010/04/09...ouch-and-ipad/

there're tons more, search on Google.

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Err take the time to re-read my post. And try to think of things other than the iPhone (particularly with the warranty case)

1) You said who cares about warranties. I said consumers care, and listed reasons why consumers may care (for any device). Jailbreaking/rooting (for Android devices) voids these warranties.

I did take the time to read your post, you mentioned that some people might break their iPhone e.g. the screens, but dropping the iPhone is caused by the users themselves, regardless of what company or brand, warranties do NOT cover this type of damage. I already answered this. It's like saying, I bought a car from a dealer, and within the same day i crashed it to bits, and want the company to give me another one. That's ******** man. Even insurance won't cover that much.

2) Apple did not lose the war against jailbreaking. You misunderstood the court ruling (which I clearly explained in my post). The only thing they lost was the ability to say is jailbreaking is a violation of the DMCA and to sue you because of it (breaking DRM basically). That doesn't stop them from blocking you, nor does it stop them from suing you for a violation of the EULA (the end user license agreement you agree too).

I know that, that's y i said no matter what Apple does (or any other company for that matter), they can never prevent and fully stop piracy. The war is an "overall" type of thing, that's what i'm saying. Regardless of whether Apple has won the case or not, i've already mentioned that the hacking/pirating scene will always stay alive. I understand ur point here, but unless ur one of us "pirates" then u won't know how strong and popular the communities are. It's far from what u might think.

3) iTunes is just one of the many attack vectors Apple can choose to use. They can bake their security functionality into wherever they want on the device. Check their recent patent filing on this. Heck they could decide to make every application in the app store add "mysterious functionality" so any app you use, pirate, or whatever could call home to Apple with a check. I can think of ways to combat this, but I can also think of ways Apple could combat the hacks too. The point is, they can make it difficult enough for users that it isn't worth the time to jailbreak or follow the jailbreaking scene. Especially if the warranty is at stake (one phone call home would mark the device as jailbroken and void the warranty for good).

True true. But i doubt anyone that jailbreaks will actually pay real money in the App Store. I myself do support a few developers if i really like the apps, but for most people that jailbreak their device, it's almost guaranteed that they do that to pirate apps/games.

Now, let's say Apple did release some sort of app that breaks the jailbreak, as long as one victim falls for the trap, he/she will report to the community and everyone will know about this. It's not like everyone's gonna lose their jailbreak all at the same time. This is what happened with the most recent iTunes version as well, for those people that used the Spirit jailbreaks, they'll cause conflicts with the newest iTunes and have some serious problems (can't remember). As long as you keep up to date, you'll know what not to get into or install. That's y i'm still using the previous iTunes version.

4) I'm one of those proponents of hackers can't be stopped (having seen it many times on both ends) But you can make life hard for those (either through increases in areas of checks, or through legal paper) who are doing the hacking. And I'm not talking about the people who read the guide and follow the instructions. I mean the people who are actually responsible for working on the jailbreaking hacks. Most legal paper will scare away people. Combined with increasing the number of checks, there will be a point where they miss one check, and bam everyone who updated thinking they were safe have now voided their warranty.

As I said, Apple has been nice so far. There's nothing stopping them for doing more to make life difficult for the jailbreaking community if they want to. And current indications seem that they will be taking these steps.

Now does this stop the jailbreaking scene? Not really, it'll always persist. But whether it will be worth it to the average person? That's what Apple is going after.

The iPhone is more usable (from a comfort and ease of usability POV).

I think this is the main point here. The majority that jailbreaks, myself included, see more benefits in doing so. Let's put piracy aside for now, then the benefits of jailbreaking is to allow extra features added onto your device to further enhance the functionalities. Doing this alone is worth jailbreaking. I mean, what can you lose?? Jailbreaking only adds extra functions to your device, it doesn't block you from using the App Store or any other native apps. Jailbreaking takes literally 1 minute to do. Why not??

Now, involving piracy, it gives many users all the more reason to do so. So in my opinion, most people don't care about the warranty and would rather benefit from jailbreaking.

Originally Posted by S0urcerr0r View Post
when i deal with some friends (iphone owners) who tries to battle, i usually just praise them and their presentation of their iphone. most of the time they get surprised - like they expect counter attacks, but they get none...
after a while they start to think the battle is a sure victory - still getting a bit confused why i dont defend the N900 aggresivly. thats when they take the initiative to ask why i even bought the n900.
then i make a smooth demonstration (counterattack) of all the functionalities of the n900. (massive videocodec suite, easydebian incl. open office+tvout+bluetooth keyb/mouse, "mass storage device" compatible usb, usbhost, fcam, microsd, bluemaemo, irreco, fmtransmiter, bounce, emulators, mobile hotspot, 44khz wav dictaphone, flash, mypaint, good handling of pdf, zip/rar, other OSes, and other even more advanced stuff.

aside from Easy Debian, flash, microSD and usbhost, the iDevices can do all of that you mentioned.........it can dualboot Android as well (stable), but that's old news. I just wish N900 can do the same, the project was abandoned but it'll make it own even more if it can actually do that "properly".

usually these friends (quite geeky that tries to battle) - who are so skeptic in the beginning - drop their jaw while i present these things (like the linux desktop on the tv with bt keyb/mouse).

the next time someone else tries to battle - these "converted" people have actually betrayed their iphone comrade and assisted in defending the n900 - even though they both have the iphone.

there are only a few friends that i actually make battle with - and then its just for fun. it starts out normally but after a few minutes... in lack of other features we take the dumbest bugs of our phones and present them like mindblowing killer features!

Last edited by chaoscreater; 2010-08-24 at 03:00.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 179 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Gold Coast, Australia