Poll: Would you prefer 'one device' (phone + internet tablet)?
Poll Options
Would you prefer 'one device' (phone + internet tablet)?

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
NIT's have always been a "second pocket" device and I would hope it stays that way. Cell companies are bastards for the most part and making a device that operates directly on a network would incur such hassles from many of the carriers. WiMax is even pushing it because you are adding a new radio that will only be usable by a tiny fraction of nokia users. The big question is what they have to remove in order to add WiMax, GSM, CDMA, and/or HSPA.

Right now with WiFi and BT DUN on the NIT means access almost anywhere.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
I would agree with that, but they really should add BT PAN as well.

I am new to this interet tablet world. What is BT DUN?

After researching it a bit, it seems that it has something to do with using your cell phone connection, via bluetooth, to get dial-up speed connectivity. How do you set this up?

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Atlanta, GA + Oxford UK
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
NIT's have always been a "second pocket" device and I would hope it stays that way. Cell companies are bastards for the most part and making a device that operates directly on a network would incur such hassles from many of the carriers. WiMax is even pushing it because you are adding a new radio that will only be usable by a tiny fraction of nokia users. The big question is what they have to remove in order to add WiMax, GSM, CDMA, and/or HSPA.

I currently have a N810 and N95 phone the two connect very easy and work well on 3.5G Networks.

As for the
Cell companies are bastards
comment. No argument from me. But most of those issues can be solved by buying an unlocked phone. More pricey but works.

As for reasons for 2 devices. Cell phones are very good at reserving battery power when doing radio things. It is what they do. When I run my cell phone bluetooth on and use the tablet to browse the web etc. The phone has 3+ days life in the battery (On T-Mo much less on AT&T 3G but that is to be expected). But when I use the phone as My main internet device the use of that display runs through the batt very quickly. I have to charge each night.

Having a phone is more important to me. I can check email etc on it at all times. It is the way people from work contact me in an emergency. While if i use the tablet for all my browsing it also dies in a day. If I get called away in the middle of the night as often happens in my job. I still have a good charge in the phone and can still get stuff done. the tablet is less important.

Other users have different priorities. Or check out the web less during the day then I do. But for me this is the main reason for going for 2 devices.

The second reason is that smart phones are allways a compromise. To be small to appeal to the phone market they either have a very small display and a very small keyboard. Or no keyboard.

Browsing on a tiny display is doable with a good browser. The N95 and I phone do this great. But a bigger display is much better. I also like to write while I am in bars etc. i enjoy writting fiction etc as I sit and watch people it often inspires me. I like to type these out as they hit me. the smartphone keyboards are all to much of a compromise for me. The HTC Wizard is the best I have had. And that had very poor web browsing. By going to the 2 device option. I have a very small by smartphone standards phone that works well as a phone.

When carrying around multiple devices is a pain. (I fly hang gliders at weekends the N95 sits well in a jeans pocket as I fly and give me all I need. GPS is very cool for this) I can leave the tablet in the car. But when i am heading out to a bar or jazz club the N810 is in reach and easy to use for more inspiring moments.

As I say the pairing works very well for me. Suits me own personal needs and fussyness perfectly. I am sure there are others who if they considered why they want the devices would have the same opinion. For the others. I phone or the hellspawn that is the Treo family will be there choice.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by mattaggie View Post
After researching it a bit, it seems that it has something to do with using your cell phone connection, via bluetooth, to get dial-up speed connectivity. How do you set this up?
BT = Bluetooth
DUN = Dial up networking

Turning your phone into glorified modem, sometimes a very fast modem if you have 3g or 3.5g access. Depending on your plan and the connection this can be free, use minutes, or cost a small fortune. Details on setting it up can be found in the forums.

Originally Posted by ITscooter View Post
But why shouldn't the N810 have a phone built in? I'd love to have mobile internet, but without cellular service, it's kind of like having the latest and greatest car stereo - that only works when you're parked in your garage. Sorry if this offends any of the community, but it seems to me that carrying two devices is kind of silly if not just plain inconvenient.
If you would always carry the N810 (even on the beach, say) and you're happy with using such a large device as a phone, then yes (for the most part - see below).

My phone is quite small and I hook it outside my pocket (or keep it inside a small pocket) When in swimming trunks I hook it on the side. Or I go somewhere where I don't want, or need to carry something as large as the N8x0. Which is one reason to keep two devices: The phone is always with me, the NIT only when I think I'll need it. Point is, when kept together it _is_ as if the NIT has a built-in phone - I can go online through the phone via BT, completely transparently (the phone stays in the pocket).

I've replaced my phone during the year I've had my N800. I expect to upgrade again this year, I'll get a 3.5G phone this time. If the N800 had a built-in phone I would be stuck with whatever technology it came with. As long as the phone technology keeps moving the way it does now I definitely prefer to be able to replace that part of my setup at will. Actually, I have two phones - one private and one work phone. I'm allowed to use my work phone for internet connection for work mail etc. That phone is being replaced every so often too, and it's also a different carrier than my private phone.

Those are just two reasons for keeping the phone and the N8x0 separate. In general I also prefer my phone to be very small, and with good battery capacity (the one I have lasts up to three weeks - no way the NIT could hold that long, and I would hate to carry spare batteries), and I prefer my internet tablet to be the size it is. These requirements collide, so I won't have them integrated into one device.

Even if the NIT had a SIM card I would _still_ carry my phone(s), the SIM in the NIT would be completely redundant, or I would need an additional carrier contract which doesn't make sense at all.

If none of the above requirements concern you, then I guess you'll end up in the all-in-one camp.

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
I would agree with that, but they really should add BT PAN as well.
There is a package available that doest just that : BT PAN
I think it is called Maemo-Pan

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by fredoll View Post
There is a package available that doest just that : BT PAN
I think it is called Maemo-Pan
Is it completely integrated into the same control panel process you use for setting up BT DUN?

Is it supported by Nokia, out of the main Nokia application repository?

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
Is it completely integrated into the same control panel process you use for setting up BT DUN?

Is it supported by Nokia, out of the main Nokia application repository?
You'll have to try it by yourself ;-)