Notices

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Barcelona, Spain
Hi

i have a doubt on the behaviour of the automatic email update. When i'm away from home i do not usually leave on the gprs data connection, but i would like that the email client could connect itself even on gprs to get my emails every couple of hours. i have tried with the email client settings and i do not get automatic updates unless i leave the data connection on. Does someone know if it is possible? i was used to do that with emoze in symbian.

Thanks in advance

you need to be connected t gprs, the email app does not use any data unless you get an email so it will stay idle till then.

email server cannot communicate unless you connected.

Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
you need to be connected t gprs, the email app does not use any data unless you get an email so it will stay idle till then.

email server cannot communicate unless you connected.
I know that you need to be connected to talk to the server, but i was wondering if the email client could connect by itself, check
the mail and disconnect.

By the way, on GPRS connections I do not get proper update on the inbox. E.g I have settings for retrieving every 15 min and sometimes there is a check every 15 min and sometimes it simply skips and after one hour and a half connects again... Its like random. On wlan seems to work flawlessly, can It be related to roaming_¡?

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Might be https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6898 which is still waiting for more information (see comment 26)

Maemo is far from user friendly! If you see how many options the symbian OS has with these kind of things.

Symbian does connect en disconnect with email client. disconnects gprs automatically when you close all apps that use internet.

Its overall allot user friendly then this half finished maemo OS. Users are doing their best to fix most of these problems. but you get all kind of loose apps doing things on your phone. And the n900 updates are taking sooo long!!

No flash 10.1 support because nokia thinks its to unstable and waits for a next version so that a bummer too!

Man too bad nokia made this n900!

i wonder if anyone could make a widget to automatically make gprs connections when no wlan is connected and disconnect it after 5 minutes .

by this the widget connects , email refreshes , widget closes the connection .. gr8 ain't it ?

Hi Teamer,,

I agree, a widget would be just the thing for this. Would anyone know of one that exists?

Auto connect for email retrieval seems like such a core app that i am a bit astonished that Nokia developers did not address this at the very start. The n900 is more of an internet browsing tool for social users, rather than a business friendly device. Anyone is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong.

mplar

Search for the fcron maemo.org wiki, there's already a way to schedule this = make it automatic. Although it involves *some* terminal wet-work.

Although I really don't have that much email to begin with so I'll just save my battery life. Plus I already connect to the net manually often enough.